Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Mar 4, 2016.

1. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    Thank you, it's fun trying to min/max to the full extent and push the odometer to the max.

The main culprit with the stock 9th gen IHS is, contact pressure, especially with LM. Since the heatsink/ILM lottery is a thing and YMMV. The difference after you fix that issue are night and day, at least in my case.

Lapped 9th IHS + lapped die + removed c-clips & ILM, going from 92c to 76c
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-overclockers-lounge.788975/page-1786#post-10961863
    Then 9th gen IHS to BartX IHS, going from 76c to 65c
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-overclockers-lounge.788975/page-1792#post-10968036
    - This was with Scandinavian weather, cold ambient.

This 9900KF started at 86c for R15 at 5Ghz, and that was with a delid + LM, slight die lapping and BartX IHS.
    Now after collaboration with @ole!!! we sit at 73c with the vapor chamber mod + direct die and further lapping.

That's at a higher ambient when compared to the 9900K,
    4.37mm BartX IHS 9900K R15 5Ghz package max 65c (16c min temp)
    https://i.imgur.com/2zabNBc.png
    3mm Vapor chamber 9900KF R15 5Ghz package max 73c (27c min temp)
    https://i.imgur.com/C8tSdar.png

Papusan, electrosoft and ole!!! like this.
  2. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    All my first phase testing was with CB20.

With my delidded SL 8086k, when I first put it in my 870TM, temps were 10 HIGHER than my 870DM with the same UV fans at 50% on both

That's when I did all types of pairing tests with some throw away MX-4 for spread patterns I had sitting around and realized the top, left corner was the culprit and the HS wasn't sitting tight/optimal.

I ordered shims (.5, .8, 1.0).

.5 shaved 4 degrees(!) (~95->91)
    .8 shaved 12 degrees (~95->83)
    1.0 shaved 16 degrees (~95->79)
    1.5 did the same as 1.0 (~95->79)

This was with fans at 50% max

If I had smaller shims I could have probably fine tune it or lap and adjust the IHS height.

Ordered BartX 4.3mm (1x 8th gen and 1x 9th gen assuming I'd go full 9900 sometime down the road)

I trimmed away the decal/lift on the HS for direct contact with the VC and HS and added FujiPoly 17 thermal pads to
    fill the air spaces for even more contact.

With BartX 4.3mm 8086k achieved the same ~95->79 but as noted elsewhere fans stayed at or below 50% and most
    importantly, low to medium loads no longer spun up the fans or spun them up to ~30% tops since that extra TIM layer was removed.
    I didn't even use LM the performance was so much to my liking. Fans to max = temps in the high 50's. Yeah yeah, lots of good cooling going to waste. :p

I'm very happy with the performance, thermals and noise level.

I tried an 8700k I had a few months ago with the same testing procedure but it wouldn't UV anywhere near the SL 8086k. It borked at -85uv at 4.5 all cores
    where the SL 8086k can do -150uv+ at 4.5 all cores.

I tried my desktop 9900k (which is not delidded) as a test before I even had shims and no targeted UV and as you experienced, it was a hot, hot loud
    thermal throttling mess. For that time being, I locked in on fine tuning the 8086k since I needed my desktop (and still do atm).

Now I'm looking to dial in a 9900ks with a delid, BartX and most likely LM this time to get to that quiet as possible all core 4.5 performance with room to
    bench at 5+ when it strikes my fancy.

Papusan and jc_denton like this.
  3. jc_denton

Reputations:
    The custom BartX IHS was tailored mainly for lapped 9900k die, so very similar to 8700k spec for internal height. Is this the one you got?
    https://imgur.com/a/psmersn
    https://imgur.com/a/ulORZUE

Some Clevo's have this heatsink/ILM problem, where the heatsink will rest on top of the retention mechanism (ilm), since it's slightly higer than IHS at some points. And you get some very bad thermals due to contact issues. And then you have the TM1 baseplate, that contacts the heatpipes directly, which is also not flat. So when you add up all these issues, you begin to realize how much is stacked against you. As you saw going from 95c to 79c.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    electrosoft and Papusan like this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If I do end up picking up a cheap 8 core, i'll have to extend the channel on my taller IHS... again lol.

5. jc_denton

Reputations:
    Just go bare die, all the cool kids are doing it :p

But besides of extending the internal channel, you need to grind down the sides as well. Since the previous gen has thinner flaps where the ILM claps down. Otherwise you'll be putting some serious pressure onto the taller 9th gen die.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'd need to potentially deepen the whole channel too yes.

7. brk303

brk303 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, running a reseller delidded 9900K, max undervolt -90 at up to about 4.4Ghz. At 4.5Ghz and up it seems stabile at higher undervolt, -105. Is this normal, or is my testing not good ?
    I use TS - TS bench, when it reports errors I lower undervolt.

Even though it's delidded the temperatures are too high, and in fact I am not limited by clock, it can run at 5.0 but already at 4.5 with workloads that my audio DAW produces temperatures are between 88C and 95C.
    And it's supposed to run a 4 hour live show, so I actually run at 4.1 which still has temps around 80+

Is there anything else I can do to decrease temperatures, in terms of BIOS or TS settings ? I don't feel confident to actually do any of the hardware mods you guys discuss.

Would static voltage help, or tweaking Core/IA VR Domain "AC/DC Loadline" ?
    Or any other ideas?

8. jc_denton

Reputations:
    What Clevo model are you running? Are you running fn+1 max fans? Elevating the bottom of the laptop also boosts it's ability to breathe.
    To get the most out of a 9900k, you should really look into a 3rd party IHS, as you can see in my post above where I go through the temperature differences with different modifications.

Spartan likes this.
  9. brk303

brk303 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    15" P751, running max fans. it's elevated a bit, sitting on a 19" rack like this:

[​IMG]

Could you recommend any particular 3rd party IHS for P751 ? How hard is it to install ?

10. jc_denton

Reputations:
    Try elevating the back so that it has 3-5cm of space between bottom cover and surface, a book shoved under the back works just fine, this will help the fans to grab more air. In the P751 chassis, the 9900K is going to be pushed to quite hard, so you want to create best possible scenario for it in terms of cooling. The custom 4.37mm BartX IHS was the hands down the best replacement I've had, since it solves contact pressure and improves thermals over the stock Intel IHS. But I've heard very good things about the RockIt IHS that @Papusan had custom made as well.

Depending on how much you're willing to do with the chassis there are many ways to improve the thermals. For a quick reduction in temps, replacing the IHS with a copper one is one of the easier ones, in my opinion. If you're never used liquid metal or don't feel comfortable with it, I'd use good quality thermal paste between IHS and heatsink, but still recommend having LM between the die.
    I would also scrape off any of the silicone adhesive from the PCB, since that can cause contact issues, and you'll have the IHS clamped down by the retention mechanism anyway.

Papusan likes this.