Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    You want support the notebook manufacturers with more money on Junk so they think they doing something correct and destroy awesome gaming books from their range? This means just more Jokebooks being thrown out and soon you won't get hold on an proper high performance laptop anymore. Don't feed them with unnecessary money. And pay up +$2K for that Joke is madness. Get you an cheap one for $200 if needed. But it's your money.

Scerate, jclausius and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    They are sleek, thin and light. Yes. They are. They're also severely crippled and have serious thermal management problems. What little gains are made in form factor and cuteness are lost on lousy engineering, thermal throttling, TDP castration, cancer firmware, etc. One step forward, 5 steps backward.

In my case there was no temptation. Had to make a cash-limited decision and settle for the least undesirable of the disgusting options that remained. I bought mine because I needed something for business travel and what I wanted was going to be about $2,000 over budget. If I can't afford what I want, then I do the best I can within my budget. I didn't want to buy somebody else's problems, so I settled for what I have. As far as turdbooks go, it's not as horrible as most of the other options that cost more. I think I did all right under the circumstances, adjusted my expectations accordingly and I am satisfied to that extent, but definitely not a decision that I would have made if money were no object.

But, @Papusan is right. We're contributing to the degradation of the industry when we give them money in exchange for garbage.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Scerate, jclausius, tps3443 and 2 others like this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    To ensure your copy is genuine please give word 4 on line 6 of page 45 of the manual.

Also rotate your disc key to position 4, square and enter the reveal number on the disk. :p

electrosoft and Prema like this.
  4. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    @Meaker@Sager @Falkentyne

Don't remind me. That's bringing back not so holy memories of my system sailing out the first floor window...the worst part was that literally nothing happened to it, as stuff was build strong those days, so the torture continued right after plugging it back in. :D

And then came the early 90's...the air filled with 14400 modems squeaking and floppies chopping wood...

Speaking of nostalgia...the old lady (2006 M570U) still going strong in 2020:

[​IMG]
    [\SPOILER]

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm05/5554667

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    hmscott, MiSJAH, Mr. Fox and 3 others like this.
  5. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Yeah, old stuff would even give toughbook's a run for their money, they were just built sturdy and to last.

hmscott and Prema like this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    My old gt62 is still out there running network simulations for a friend :)

Prema likes this.
  7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You could use an old C64 as a weapon and it wouldn't break.
    Try that with a BGA turdbook these days....

Prema and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Some of them are actually pretty solid having a machined metal shell.

There was that $2500 keyboard linus was showing as an alternative lol.

Prema likes this.
  9. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don’t see what’s wrong with buying one of. these for around $2,500-$3,000 with a 9880H and a RTX2080MQ. These are powerful laptops.

That 9880H gets like 1,700+ in R15 default.

1080P 240HZ, excellent gaming machines. Run some LM on the cpu and gpu apply a solid undervolt on both and your good to go.

MiSJAH likes this.
  10. Scerate

Scerate Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If i had to decide i would get a XMG Neo 15 for around 1500€ when i were in need for a portable and gaming/productive/business capable notebook, i think it's even the same TongFang chassis @Mr. Fox has with his notebook, i actually recommended this book to a coworker of mine and he's super happy about it for programming and traveling + battery last a long time, but honestly i don't even find the P775 that bulky or heavy to begin with and about noise i don't think that's a valid reason, if i cap my wattage to BGA levels low i only can hear a slight noise, it only get's noisy ofc when pulling some DTR action, when wanting an ultrabook for the sleekness maybe i would wait for the new XMG Vias to be released which sports an Ryzen APU with a relatively good GPU performance.