Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    For overclocking runs tweak it, for workstation use the difference in performance usually wont matter.

brk303 likes this.
  2. Richarorange

Richarorange Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone! I'm totally new to this, but I bought an NVMe SSD hoping to upgrade my Clevo P750ZM laptop and found out that it doesn't work because of the stock BIOS (which doesn't provide compatibility). I read about @Prema modded BIOS and would like to know form anyone how to obtain the latest version (even if I have to donate something, as I understand the importance of donations to keep the whole project alive).
    Thanks in advance for your help!

3. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Prema bios is only available through official Prema partners. You can try and reach out to brother Prema about getting a personal version.

4. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Prelude
    In my previous post I wrote about how I lapped my 9900K and modified the heatsink in order to drop temperatures from 92c to 76c. Significantly improving the load temperatures by -16c! However, one of the cores had an -11c delta when compared to the rest. So there was still more work to be done!

Here's a detailed follow up post about how I've managed to drop the temperature even further down to 65c!

9900K: Part Deux
    Snap into a Slim Jim!
    In my quest for lowest possible temperatures I ended up further lapping my 9900K.
    For reference, the die height of an 8700k is ~0.42mm. Wheres my lapped 9900k is closer to 0.32mm from eyeballing. This is of course a guesstimate I made based on comparing my lapped 9900k to my 8086k side by side.
    Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/bfLQS0f

Improved contact pressure
    The single most important change was improved contact pressure, provided by the taller 4.37mm IHS that was inspired by the famous BitsPower IHS. This IHS was custom made by BartX for my lapped 9900K project. Furthermore, the C-Clips need to be completely removed for optimal performance with slightly thicker thermalpads for VRMs. I could also remount the retention bracket.
    Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/ulORZUE

Go Baby, GO!
    Here are the temperature improvements after further lapping with the custom IHS.
    Testing was done with low ambient temperature at -185mV for 5Ghz. However, CBR20 required -165mV to pass.

Notice how much more punishing R20 actually is compared to R15.
    CBR15:
    [​IMG]
    CBR20:
    [​IMG]
    TimeSpy physics:
    [​IMG]

Addendum
    The 9900K went from 92c to 65c in CBR15 at 5Ghz. A whopping 27c reduction!
    Furthermore, the core to core deltas were significantly improved from the previous lapping, going from -11c down to -7c.

I highly recommend getting the custom BartX IHS for the 9900k if you're serious about reducing temperatures and pushing your 9900K to all core 5Ghz.

Closing notes, my TM1 heatsink is slightly warped so even further improvements could possibly be had by improving the fit. Perhaps in Part 3? :)

Tags: @Papusan @Mr. Fox @Prema @Falkentyne @ole!!! @jaybee83 @Donald@HIDevolution @Meaker@Sager @Johnksss

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Amazing job, bro!!! Awesome results.

jc_denton and joluke like this.
  6. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Awesome job!

Enviado do meu SM-N950F através do Tapatalk

jc_denton and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

This is just incredible. Can I order one of these IHS’s? Or are there any available for sale that are a little thicker than mine that are prebuilt? Rocket cool? Any others?

What grit are you sanding the die with? That is tedious work right?

I want to get my cooling like yours. Or close to it.

I’m so jealous! Lol

8. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The guy making these is a well known polish overclocker BartX, who makes affordable custom parts for enthusiasts. He was really great to collaborate with on this project. You can contact him here, mention you're interested in the custom 29x29mm by 4.37mm 9th gen ihs. That way he should know exactly what you're talking about.

I also contacted RockIt about doing a similar project, that was around a month ago, but unfortunately I still haven't received a reply from them.

As for the lapping the die:
    I started out with wet 1500 grit and finished with 2500. You need a perfectly flat surface, such as a large mirror or plate of glass in order for a leveled surface. It took me maybe a couple hours, but you want to take your time. And I wouldn't recommend eyeballing the die height as I did :p

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  9. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ok I’ve got a i5 8500T I could practice on. Instead of my 8086K.

Also I’m not sure the 9th gen ihs will fit 8th gen processor. I think the die is much taller on the 9900K. So if I used it it wouldn’t contact my die on the 8th gen at all.

10. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My lapped 9900k die is actually lower than the 8086k/8700k die. Meaning, that this custom "9th gen IHS" is in reality an 8th gen IHS for lapped 9900k's.

The bottom indent is 0.25mm fitting perfectly on my 8086k that I used to testfit this with. I actually had to grind my sample down even further for my 9900k as 0.25mm was too high!

Here's a render of the BartX IHS for reference:
    https://imgur.com/a/psmersn

Papusan, tps3443 and Mr. Fox like this.