Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Mar 4, 2016.

1. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I booted with another cpu, loaded setup defaults. After booting into windows and checking that both ram sticks were registering, I rebooted
    and set ram to xmp1 (3200 @1.2v).

I then verified that both sticks worked in windows at xmp1 dual-channel. Powered off, removed the other cpu, then tried booting with the 8086k. It turns on just like before, fans slowly ramp up to max and it shuts off.

2. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    You have to manually set it to "default", then "save and exit" and make a full shutdown from OS.
    Now it's still trying to run the XMP, which has been trained for the other CPUs IMC.

3. jc_denton

Reputations:
    Ah I see your point, I'll give that a try.

4. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A bit dissapointed with the performance of the HyperX impact 2666cl15 2x8. I changed to them from the old Samsung 2x4 2133cl15 (which I ran at 2400cl14-16-16-38 tRFC 270). At stock the new ram sets to 2666cl15 15-17-17-35 tRFC 467. Compared with the Stock Samsung latency went from 61 to 65 and write speed from 33700 to 34500. I was only able to lower CL to 13, but that increased latency a lot (150ish), maybe due to too much of a difference to secondary values. I was unable to lower second and Third value, wont boot, tRFC I was able to lower to 420 which improved latency to 63 and writespeed to 35400. In games performance (1% lows is better in some games due to more ram) is about the same or slightly lower at medium\low settings. tRFC seems to have a lot of performanceimpact. Any tips on what I can do to improve performance? With the Samsung ram I could change a lot of values, With the Kingston I can only change a few of them.

5. jc_denton

Reputations:
    I dropped in the other cpu, it wouldn't boot after the 8086k.
    Cleared cmos, loaded setup defaults. Set ram manually to default, saved and exited. From os confirmed it ran both sticks at 2400mhz, powered off. Put the 8086k back in, same cycle, fans ramp up and it shuts off. Tried several times.
    Then I tried holding fn+d then powering on whilst holding the keys down, letting go after system shut down. It doesn't try to come back on as it should, powered on again, same result.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Or even set a manual low speed with the other cpu.

7. jc_denton

Reputations:
    I tried 3000, 2800, 2666, 2400. It just ramps the fans up to max after a while and shuts completely off.
    I think if it was trying to boot it would power cycle, ie. rebooting until it found working settings. It doesn't.
    The other cpu boots up just fine with both my old and new ram kit.

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Poor little chip :(

9. jc_denton

Reputations:
    I just wonder why it died. Ram were set @3460 cl 16 1.35v, and it tried to train, after 5 minutes I came back to it and it had shut down.
    8086k was running stock bios settings @ Adaptive with a -100mV undervolt, due to me testing ram.

It makes sense now that there was a burnt electronics smell in the socket. I think perhaps while it was training the fans did not kick in, and it just fried up?

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Very rare the chips being fried this fast due overheating and in low load, because the inbuild safety mecanism will kick in and lower clocks/or in worst case just run thermal shutdown. Processors in Applebooks run normally near 100C the whole time in full load. But the chips contain more than the cores so everything is possible. Test the chips in another computer.

Ashtrix, Falkentyne and jaybee83 like this.