Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you try using what you linked you are going to sand the edges many times more than the middle and kill the chip before you get any results.

I tried sanding some IVBs and the most level method I found was to just use my finger and eyeballing the roughness of the die. The more I sanded a spot the rougher it looked. When the whole die looked consistent, switch to another paper grit and then make the die look consistent to that grit. This is not precise, but trying to be fancy just made things worse.

In the end I didn't kill anything but I didn't get a temp improvement either.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You would need to modify the fit with the lower die really, either lower the IHS or direct die.

Falkentyne likes this.
  3. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for suggesting this!

I did a bunch of runs in FS and post 845Mhz there is a slight performance decrease. I'm guessing that this is where the error correction sets in.
    Gonna run some more FS and see if I can pinpoint when mem runs into diminishing returns.

Edit: I was wrong, it begins even earlier around 620 mhz. Need to test exactly when, as 200/400/600/800 was inconclusive.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    jaybee83 likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Yes very likely if clocks go up but performance goes down.

Plus it's not really where it kicks in, it's just the amount of corrections overtakes the extra number of hz at that point. It corrects even at stock.

jaybee83 and jc_denton like this.
  5. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think i'll install Windows 7 or 8 for future benchmarks, less bloat/spying telemetry running in the background. I'll post some more results in a few days when I've installed it to see what the difference is.

R15 1107.jpg

Mr. Fox, Ashtrix, cq842000 and 4 others like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You can use Autoruns.exe to disable some startup tasks (re-enable after bench). As well also kill some tasks in task manager(processes) before you fire up benchmarks. Don’t forget use O&O Shuthup. Congrats with the upgrade:)

7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I looked at Der8auer's video so I just bought some flat glass, and 600 grit-7000 grit sandpaper and sanded the slug completely flat, going from 600 grit, 1000, 1500, 3000 and 7000, maybe took off 0.1mm only.
    gained about 2C improvement on top of the 5C or so I got from the original delid.

I taped the CPU to the Rockit 89 delid kit with Super 33+ tape, covering the green housing, to protect the entire housing and also protect the backside capacitors. Worked very well that way. (I did not want to press on the caps like Der8auer did). Only problem was the Super 33+ tape didn't want to adhere that well to being wet and pressured like that, but managed to make it work after firm taping.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Mr. Fox, raz8020, jaybee83 and 3 others like this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The 9900K is a bit thicker than the old CPUs and more thermally dense which is why this kind of thing is helping now.

9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    dont forget about the RAM! either overclock or go for a higher speed kit, it helps with CB scores and overall system snappiness :)

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

cq842000 and Arrrrbol like this.
  10. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Definitely plan on upgrading that, maybe with some 3000mhz stuff while the prices are getting better

Mr. Fox and cq842000 like this.