Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Mar 4, 2016.

1. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    thats the thing though, we dont have direct LLC level control like on desktop mobos, we instead have those AC/DC settings (which im a total noob in tbh, since i just read my first few comments on those settings like yesterday :) ).

so on one hand we have the advantage of truly static voltage when setting AC/DC from 0 to 1, but then why am i reading @Prema and another user stating that this actually increases instabilities on clevo machines?

secondly, we have LLC causing voltage spikes (which we dont want, naturally), so how come that LLC plays less of a role the higher u clock the cpu? shouldnt the voltage spikes increase even further? or did i misunderstand something there?

lastly, what exactly are those AC/DC settings? whats the difference between a setting of 1 vs. 100? is that basically the defined range at which we would allow vcore to fluctuate, more or less?

thx for taking the time to school me mate :) much appreciated.
    Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Ashtrix, Prema, Johnksss and 2 others like this.
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ac/dc can help balance things out when all other voltages are met, but once it goes out of spec....it tends to introduce instability at higher clocks.

It's not LLC spikes. Just go look up spikes and woodzstack. (He seems to like claiming these as highest over clock.) Just because my system spikes to 16.5 Ghz does not mean i just set a new world record. And it's those types of spikes that cause the system to crash. I mention this because it seems to happen more so with adaptive and high over clocks.

You would need to test it out for yourself. Set it to 1 since that is really easy to see in windows. Then add 10 and try again. Once you understand it, you can then see if it helps or hurts you in lower over clocks.

No problem

Prema and jaybee83 like this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Maybe it's the same silicon batch they will be using to release the 5Ghz consumer 28 core :p I call it silimyth.

Prema, raz8020, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.
  4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

imho ac/dc is better cause gives more value to adjust, LLC gives like 5 options from normal high to extreme etc. assuming you know the values i'd take ac/dc settings anyday. basically to really test a chip to see if its any good compare to old chips you have, due to the fact that measurement have changed, change to static and test the chip vs older chips like sandy/ivy.

my chip is using adaptive because i want the 0.5v during idle to reduce temp, but its at ac/dc 1 which is 4.7ghz at around 1.23v to give a relative comparison to older chips 3940xm 4.7ghz at 1.38v. I could however set ac/dc at 0/210 then i can clock it to 5.1ghz and load voltage (fake) would be at around 1.34v, while idle voltage spikes to like 1.4+. if i offset too much and idle goes below that 1.4+ value, it'll crash even on idle or simplest load, but won't crash during heavier benches.

@Falkentyne mentioned KBL is at 180 and CFL is 210 (0 is default which uses those value). I wonder what 8 core CFL will be. is there a name/term for that particular value?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The problem is, on DESKTOP BOARDS, static voltages ignore the IA AC DC settings as the direct VCORE setting has priority. The VID is based on IA AC DC loadline, but in this case, with a static voltage of 1.300v, you can have a voltage of 1.310v at full load while the VID might show 1.45 or something useless.

The early 8700K desktop boards were having static voltages influenced by the IA AC DC 210 (2.1 mOhms) default setting which was causing MASSIVE static voltage overshoot. People complained on OCN and the ODMs fixed this.

Only on laptops does the IA AC DC loadline influence the load STATIC voltage. Probably due to the absence of "LLC".

The reason why Clevos do not function well with IA AC DC loadline "0.01 mOhms" (1) is because Clevos do not have loadline calibration, so the VDROOP will be immense (over 150mv!) at full load, so IA AC DC needs to remain default. eVGA laptops also do not have loadline calibration. MSI laptops have a built in loadline calibration (LLC), approximately equal to desktop boards using a medium setting, that's why MSI laptops function BEST with IA AC DC loadline=1, and why they overheat and horribly overvolt at auto. Same goes for the 16L13.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    My core temperatures are pretty even so I think my IHS rework must not have been terrible at least :)

jaybee83, Prema and raz8020 like this.
  7. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    when i set ac/dc to 1, only during adaptive voltage it is 10mv over if i set it to say 1.3v it'll be 1.31v like you mentioned. when its static, it just does 1.300v regardless load or not on my clevo.

Falkentyne likes this.
  8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wait...

So are the AC & DC Loadline = 0 actually an auto setting and not off, and applies to static voltage as well?

Bloody hell where's the Prema Bios For Dummies guide!

And what's / where can I find the auto values for this and a range of other BIOS settings, current limits, voltage limits, etc as a baseline for tweaking? It is all auto for the platform/CPU or would it be auto for the settings currently programed into bios (would stock x42/x40/x40/x40 generate different "auto" values to x44 vs x48 1.4V static)?

9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah 0 is auto, which depends on platform. For Z370 the reference value is supposed to be 210 (2.10 mOhms).

ole!!!, bennyg, raz8020 and 1 other person like this.
  10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    phsew, looks like i need to just try different values and see where that takes me, both voltage/temp and stability wise...

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk