Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Mar 4, 2016.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Might be fake but occasionally seeing 1.5V VID at idle still gives me the heebie jeebies.

(that's at 1.32V static BTW loads up around 1.29-1.3V)

Johnksss likes this.
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's understandable.

Sort of like me validating this at 1.174V which is impossible. It takes at least 1.35V
    [​IMG]
    The road goes both ways.
    You were getting nervous, while I was doing back flips at how low the voltage is....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    bloodhawk, raz8020, Prema and 2 others like this.
  3. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    lol now ure just trolling us @Johnksss :p :D

i keep wondering why they just didnt stick with actual, real static voltage like on haswell/DC. yeah i get, FIVRs are gone now, but still... just dont see any benefit in there being a "static" option anymore if it fluctuates just as much as auto with offset...

Johnksss likes this.
  4. Johnksss

Reputations:
    Because you are not factoring in LLC
    You can't do it on a desktop board so you sure as heck not going to do it on a laptop board.

Scratch that. I just set all my settings to auto on the Desktop board and and ran wprime155 and it locked solid at 1.24V

5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    oh im aware that the fluctuations are because of LLC. still, what exactly happened? did LLC just magically appear out of nowhere when skylake debuted? and if both static and auto with offset are dependant on LLC, whats the advantage of "static"? my original question still stands :)

Johnksss likes this.
  6. Johnksss

Reputations:
    Idle or load?

7. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    well, id say my focus is more on load, so in terms of getting a cpu overclock stable. @Prema mentioned at 5.1+ Ghz static becomes more important to get stability. why is that?

8. Johnksss

Reputations:
    raz8020 and jaybee83 like this.
  9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    ok i think i see what ure getting at. so static voltage locks the vcore at load, whereas LLC still lets it fluctuate during idle.
    and with auto + offset the vcore fluctuates at both idle AND load.

hmmm... ill have to check my system behaviour on static again, ive tried it a few times but was always underwhelmed of the resulting voltages and temps. i have a P751DM btw.

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Johnksss likes this.
  10. Johnksss

Reputations:
    Static locks it and you need to get LLC pretty close to static (We shall just assume the voltage is not fake voltage for this scenario) else the voltage jumps around and shoots to the moon on idle.

For that to be stable. and not hit high voltages at idle.....AC/DC was set to 1 and a static voltage of 1.354V with room up to 1.380V. Can really be from 1 to 100. Now in most cases this is fine, but the higher you go the more you have to watch for spike voltage. You could be on a perfect bench and the voltage spikes and guess what....you crash. This happens more so than not when running adaptive, that's why we want static. They just make it a bit more challenging in a laptop. You also need to pay attention to why it crashes. Those BSOD codes really do mean something. And allot of the time they tell you what voltage you need to either add or subtract. :)
    Translation of codes
    http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/935829-overclockers-bsod-code-list.html

Side note:
    As @Prema mentioned, when you get into the 5.1+ range...you really don't need to mess with the llc any more.