Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Phoenix, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Lol, must have gone back without realising but someone else was complaining. We keep going round in circles with this.

2. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I only found that out because I was like...How the hell did I miss this nonsense! And had to go pretty far back to find the original post.

D2 Ultima and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Because not every store has a contract with Prema..

In Portugal Clevo Center is a scummy company that is using the Clevo name without permission, that sells their Clevos at a higher price and offer a crap of a warranty service where the owner will always end up paying for new parts..

And they have an exclusive contract with Prema and no other shop can ever sell a laptop with Prema mods in Portugal, there is both Obsidian-PC that decided to do his own mods, and there is Inphtech that ships stock BIOS as far as I know.

Not a lot of people will be willing to buy a laptop from a shop across Europe that will hinder warranty in case its needed instead of buying from a PT shop that you can hop on your car and drive there if you want it as fast as possible, or to see the laptop in person.

People beg because they dont have another option, and because half the value of a Clevo is having a modded BIOS, heck they are only as famous as they are due to BIOS modders that turned them from turds to decent pc's..

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well, right now is not a good time to build a desktop unless you already have a GPU to avoid getting screwed on pricing or you love paying 200% of MSRP just because you can afford to be a fool with money. There's no way in hell I am spending more for a FE 1080 than a Kingpin 1080 Ti or Titan GPU is supposed to cost. That's mega-retarded to say it the nicest way I can. Damned miners have screwed up everything as far as availability, but it's not the miners' fault that retailers are shafting us. If NVIDIA were actually sincere about trying to stop the price gouging they would start completely shutting off distribution to the retail channels that are rectally molesting customers and start giving preferential treatment to those that are not. This is what the prices are supposed to look like: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-store/
    MSRP.PNG

BUT, you don't have to stop being part of this community just because you have a desktop. I didn't. (Not sure why you're still part of T|I pirate bay community though. Scratching my head on that part.)

The worst thing that can happen is that building a desktop will make you less tolerant of crappy laptops, and if more people were less tolerant of garbage and would let the castrated and broken filth rot on warehouse shelves that could have a positive net effect of laptops getting better instead of staying on the path to the dung heap that they are headed down with the throttle stuck wide open.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Ashtrix, DreDre, Vistar Shook and 2 others like this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You could own both of course :)

Mr. Fox, electrosoft and Scerate like this.
  6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    yes very true. i was already thinking about getting a cheapass GPU just for the system to be working, my focus would be on the CPU and RAM anyways ^^

and yes again, i would most likely be following your example and contribute more to the desktop section of NBR ;)

to be completely honest, im not as active on TI as I am here, but visiting here and there for hardware mods by @Khenglish or driver mods by @j95 :) whats that thing about TI pirate bay? mustve missed that! please enlighten me...

as for being less tolerant of crappy laptops: thats actually what i want to avoid, because desktop users tend to just all out ignore laptops, even Clevo-like DTRs and just repeatedly state crap like: dont overclock a laptop, it will burn/explode/cause a black hole to form, blah blah :p prefer to keep my ignorance level in check :D

@Meaker yes thats always a possibility. although id probably downgrade my laptop hardware wise once a desktop system is assembled...

Ashtrix and Scerate like this.
  7. senso

Reputations:
    TI is running coin-hive in the ads for one..

Requiring to pay or to spam the forum so you can download files made by prema, svl and others and not giving them anything back is another scummy thing..

8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    iirc @Prema and @svl7 are (or were?) actually part of the TI crew and thus supported that system so the statement "not giving them anything back" is kinda superfluous in that regard? correct me if im wrong though! just remember both of them directing / informing new users in that regard whenever complaints were coming up...

coin-hive in their ads? lol, seriously? javascript based mining? well im glad i always got an adblocker switched on :p

Scerate likes this.
  9. senso

Reputations:
    Their files are still there, Prema already complained about them, svl7 retired a long time ago, files still there.

I also frequented that forum, and I also run adblockers, doesn't counteract the fact that the owner is doing it, and not everybody uses adblockers, and you see newbies there everyday..

For more info, ask prema about that.

Scerate and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    interesting. and sad...

Scerate likes this.
  11. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Nope. Khenglish, Prema, j95, svl7, johnksss, Nando and I am no longer part of their "crew" because of the sketchy stuff that has been pulled. We all decided to distance ourselves from that nonsense. Well, svl7 was gone before the nonsense, but knowing him I know he would not put up with that crap.

12. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Three million graphics cards were sold to cryptovalutors in 2017. Worth $ 776 million in 2017 (Includeded AMD and Nvidia - And Nvidia ain't the big one is this game). This small amount money in the whole, is the reason you have to pay up to 200% of MSRP, Nice. This smells like willed price policy. Nvidia or AMD ain't interested in increased production (Not willing to pay more than necessary for vram - And they aint interested compete with the Mobile industri). Why should vram manufacturers use their capacity on something that will give less earnings?
    Remember AMD who who argued for all too high price for HBM2 vram. AMD's move was to keep low production and try to push down component prices. This won't work with gddr ram. And both know a crash in the graphics card market will come if and when the miners suddenly stopped buying their cards. GREED!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Ashtrix, Scerate, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.
  13. Stress Tech

Stress Tech Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you for sharing @Papusan

All Crypto miners should look for a Bitmain Antminer S9 or a similar variant. Crypto miners that use graphic cards are missing out in power and energy consumption.