Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Mar 4, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hey, it's cool, we all have opinions on things, and through sharing those opinions we are really trying to learn more, so I don't condemn anyone for "going there", as it provides a discussion point to illuminate.

There are certainly situations where a hacker will stumble across a simple newbie "mistake", probably thinking "boy are they asking for it", like leaving default passwords on an internet accessible server, application, database, network device, etc.

But only a criminal, or self-styled hacker, would try those "doors" to see if they are open.

In the physical world, most people will walk right by an open door of a car, or house and the only thought they have is "hey, maybe I should close the door for them, in case a criminal strolls by and see's a situation that they can take advantage of...", and in the physical world everyone can see that open door.

The difference in the cyber world is, it's pretty unusual to "see" those open doors without doing something actively to find them.

Again, the criminal's actions are to blame for the incursion. They are the ones that took the active steps to gain access. They only have to find 1 or two "mistakes", while the defenders need to cover thousands of known potential holes, on thousands of servers, in perhaps hundreds of locations.

And, then there are the completely unknown or as yet unthought of holes where hackers that don't publish their work have the advantage.

That's why so many people, government agencies, and companies were angry with the NSA / CIA / etc for holding on to exploits for which there is no awareness or defense.

2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Never actually tried going above 5GHz on this end actually. I'm sure I could, I just am not enough of an OCer to push it. Rather it be nice, stable and cool for 24/7 operation.

Stress Tech and Ground_Zro like this.
  3. Ground_Zro

Ground_Zro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree, I'm not either but I wanted to play around and see, I didn't push it above 5GHz nor would I want to either. I'm actually going to do the opposite and probably down clock it a bit due to it just being a gaming machine, I'll be in Afghanistan for the next year and no game really needs anything that high right now anyways.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Stress Tech likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Be prepared for new screw up from Futuremark... 3DMark Time Spy Extreme to be released. Next on the list will be Windoze 10 Fall Creators Update who will screw up 3DMark Suite further:rolleyes: Nice times coming.

Stress Tech, Ashtrix and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Wow, need some more track to take that runaway train down?

They are a firm that is involved in cleaning and security, am I supposed to feel sorry for Equifax too who leaked 140 million people's accounts data too?

Hopefully they learn from their mistakes and tighten their security. This is their job, their responsibility, not some innocent person walking down the street.

And yes I hope the hackers get sent to jail too.

6. Ground_Zro

Ground_Zro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm kinda lost if he was talking about you or that company lol. I don't see how your comment is victim blaming or anything like that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Falkentyne likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The first part of the response was about @Meaker@Sager 's casual condemnation of a company because he thinks "it should never have happened regardless."

He has no clue as to if that is true or not, no facts to back it up, and give the companies involved unwarranted culpability in a crime they were a victim to, and not the perpetrator.

The rest was trying to help illuminate the issue and why it's not fair to condemn a whole company of hard working people for the mistake(s) of one or a few.

It also should go without saying that this is an epidemic problem, unknown hacks leaving us all wide open to abuses by criminals.

It doesn't take much to kill the confidence in a company by casual thoughtless remarks, especially by someone that is supposed to know better, and is in a position of "authority" about other unrelated subjects that might give unwarranted weight to those thoughtless condemnations.

@Meaker@Sager - how many security incursions such as happened with ccleaner are you professionally involved in root cause analysis and remediation? From your comments it sounds like you have absolutely zero experience.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, that should be really interesting. They should focus on fixing the buggy pile of dung they already have before they entertain the idea of adding a new feature to 3DMark.

Stress Tech, Scerate and Papusan like this.
  10. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Sounds like what I have to say to just about every AAA game dev team...

Stress Tech, Ashtrix, Papusan and 3 others like this.