Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Phoenix, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Johnksss@iBUYPOWER

Johnksss@iBUYPOWER Company Representative

Reputations:
    Enough for the casual user, but not for hard core benching....The water needs to run through the heat sink, not on top of it. (Personal opinion only)

dspboys, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm thinking similar. The pipes would need to zig-zag back and forth and have a lot of solder piled up around them to make contact with a significant amount of surface area on the heat sink for it to be meaningful the way they are making that with the pipes stuck on top. With just one copper loop making contact with a really small amount of surface area I cannot imagine how that could be very effective.

3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I suppose, but to be honest for an average (I'm assuming) of $50 USD (the prices ranged from about $5 to $62) for a high end notebook, this is essentially "extra" cooling, since it's welded to the pipe.

So for example, when I used my P370SM3 the highest I ever got any component was 85c in the middle of the day playing a certain game (and only that game; others topped out around 81c) on a very hot day. My CPU generally never passed 80c unless streaming with serious compression and my slave didn't know what 80c was (this is inclusive of way back when, when I tried Furmark one time; after 15 minutes it was still at 79c) without any overclocking.

That added-on heatpipe solution, even if it helps 5c, might be more than enough of a benefit. In a cooler living situation than mine, (such as when I tried using A/C rooms in university, without even propping up the laptop) I used to be able to stream at auto fans and not even cross 85c on my CPU; max limited that to near 70c. With such a cooling benefit that's essentially the difference between 24/7 overclocking and not, once all your thermal pads and whatnot are set well at least.

The real question is how would it help the higher end systems like a P775DM3 or something, for general usage.

4. Jon Webb

Jon Webb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    could soldering the water loop on a heat sink cause it to warped out of shape?
    Ok foolish question, guys are soldering shims on with no problem.

Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    THIS heatsink design is born.... Should be brought to death!! No future!!! Death!! @Donald@HIDevolution !!!!

Mr. Fox and Georgel like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, you have to be very careful and not use too much heat when soldering or you will ruin it. You need to use a very low melting point solder paste (138°C) and use only as much heat as it takes to fully flow the solder paste.

The copper heat pipes are very soft and you can bend them just taking the heat sink off if it is stuck really hard with something like IC Diamond. This is especially critical on the P7 unified heat sink design. If the CPU and GPU are both stuck hard, you have to be even more careful. You can't just grab it and yank it off without a risk of distorting its shape and bending up the heat pipes. I always used a plastic pick tool to pry upward on the copper heat plate to "pop" the thermal paste loose on the CPU and GPU before attempting to lift the P750ZM heat sink off and never had any trouble doing it that way. If you are using a soft and creamy paste like Kryonaut or a liquid metal, this is not as much of a thing to be careful about because those don't get stuck as bad. But, it's still good to be gentle to avoid distorting the shape/fit of the unified heat sink. The more curves and loops the pipes have, the more careful you need to be. They seem to bend easier than straighter pipes do.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Ashtrix, Papusan and Jon Webb like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If you guys are seeing this...

upload_2017-8-14_16-59-22.png

...if you click on update, the newest version available for download does not show up as 1.80.1 for some reason. However, if you download the 1.80 version shown at the top (even if it seems like you already have that) the version you download will have the .1 at the end. This has been bugging me for several days and I could never see the new version. I discovered they did not label is correctly and what you download will be newer in spite of the description. I went ahead and downloaded it anyway to see if that would make the update nag go away. It did.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Papusan and bloodhawk like this.
  8. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @D2Ultima

I think it might just surprise you how good it would be. I mean it really depends.

I will have to take the time and do the math with some equations to have a very rough estimate on how good it is. It would really depends on the flowrate and the quality of weld.

Ideally you have to toss in fins near the die to increase your surface area.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Water is pretty good at absorbing heat, it wont help much at idle but at load it would depending on the size of the radiator of course.

10. Johnksss@iBUYPOWER

Johnksss@iBUYPOWER Company Representative

Reputations:
    The internal fans will heat up the water defeating the purpose..... Speculations of course