Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Stress Tech

Stress Tech Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Buying a BGA laptop is like funding terrorism!

A good mechanical keyboard, a lipo battery, 3x mDP 1.4 sockets for a triple G-sync Nvidia Surround setup, a Prema BIOS born with every Clevo and a pyrolytic graphite heatsink (or graphene which is even better) and we'll be living it large :).... BIGTIME

temp00876, Papusan, Scerate and 3 others like this.
  2. Coolane

Coolane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seems like this is a good price for a thunderbolt eGPU box with a GTX 1070. If the 1070 considered worth 449, then the box is only 150:

eGPU.jpg

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The question is, will the box support a Pascal Titan or 1080 Ti to make it a more attractive geek toy?

4. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    They can be used with any GPU, just depends if you are willing to shell out for those cards, for very little gains.

Papusan likes this.
  5. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Did I hear repaste? :p

Congrats on the new system...

Man I'm rooting for the F7, because that is what I have my scope on right now..

bloodhawk likes this.
  6. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    haha yeah, still resintalling windows and such, so gonna be a while before i get a baseline. More than that i need to unlock this BIOS. Lets see if the Flash latest, dump, mod, flash using programmer shindig works.

iunlock likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It should work. I know @svl7 unlocked the BIOS on his Alienware 17 (Ranger/Haswell) and flashed with a programmer because of its Secure Flash cancer. I know it's not even similar in design and different BIOS, but I think you can bypass that firmware signing garbage on anything with the programmer (just guessing). You may not be able to do an in-line flash, but I know pulling the chip is easy-peasy for you.

Papusan, iunlock and bloodhawk like this.
  8. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Ah sweet. Thank you for confirming (kinda :p)
    Ill take it apart tomorrow and lets see how things go. Spoiled to no end with @Prema's work.

iunlock likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Wow, this is SO TRUE. Financially sponsoring of the ethical delinquency of OEMs/ODMs selling filth, LOL.

It's also super funny, and I love the comment for that reason alone.

Yeah, we are all spoiled to the max by his talent and generosity. Awesome man, and amazing skills.

The newer Alienware systems are Aptio BIOS, if I am remembering correctly. That being the case, it may be easier to find information on how to expose the hidden menus. I think tools and information on Insyde BIOS might be harder to come by than AMI/Aptio firmware.

Hopefully, the BIOS chip is out in the open, in an easily accessible spot. That would make things even easier. The M18xR1 and M18xR2 was wide open access under the bottom cover like the 16L13. Not sure where the placed the chip on the machine in question.

Stress Tech likes this.
  10. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Are you on discord? Let me know and feel free to give me a call when you open it up.
    I think the signature is encrypted to be able to bypass it to make any mods.
    Sounds great. Let me know if you have any luck.

::iunlock::

bloodhawk and Mr. Fox like this.