Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Mar 4, 2016.

1. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    jaug1337, TBoneSan, Papusan and 8 others like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Nice job. I posted a reply to the article.

3. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Yup that's definitely a Mr. Fox comment xD

4. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Great work @D2 Ultima - I've already posted my reply on NBC :D

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    There is a conversation to be had about prices in general from Nvidia but this is no different to the mobile card days, it is effectively the successor to the 980M.

You want to say to those who don't want a heavier machine:

"Sorry but this chip is too good for you, it would do better in a larger machine"

And that's just not an attitude I can get behind.

ssj92 and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    So the solution is to charge 1080 prices and deliver 1070 or worse performance to those who want a slim machine? I don't think that is fair. Hell, I'd call it disrespectful if anything. A 1080 in a thin and light is not going to work, not a full-power one anyway. It's not that we think those chips are too good for them, the problem is that laws of physics can't be circumvented.

TBoneSan, Jarhead, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The 1080 performs better per watt, where are you seeing it score lower?

It's the best possible silicon to have at the moment, to not offer it in a form factor where power efficiency is king would be insane IMO.

The 1080 a whole should not carry the premium it does over the 1070 but these chips should cost the same.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So not sure how well contact is on the CPUs and GPUs judging by these pictures. I'm planning on putting a shim on the CPU right now but wasn't sure about the GPUs. During gaming they don't seem to be having any temp issues.

OneDrive album to photos

9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Did you read the article? Or are you replying without fact-checking anything. MQ GPUs are nothing but undervolted and underclocked normal GPUs. It's not new miraculous tech, it's marketing. And you've bought it hook, line and sinker.

TBoneSan, iunlock and hmscott like this.
  10. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    I don't know what you're reading into on my end, but my entire issue from the get-go has been charging users $1200 for a 1070, and $750+ for whatever the 1070N Max-Q ends up performing like.

I wholeheartedly believe that they could have done it better, or dropped the price of the Max-Q cards to match their performance. Not ONCE did I state, anywhere in that article, that thin notebooks are trash, or should not be bought. I DID say if everyone put the effort they put into getting a 1080NQ to run into other, larger notebooks, we would all be having a much better time right now.

I do not like that they have just made essentially a "1080M" and the price is still what a "1080N" is.

You change the price, you don't oversell the performance, and I am perfectly fine. You optimize what we have and everybody benefits; even better. If a 1070N can do the job, why market the 1080N and promise the performance? That's the most anti-consumer practice I can think of, and it's exactly why I wrote this. You have been in this game longer than I have, you know how much names mean to those who aren't in the know. I never once said they could not apply the same technology to an existing, say, 150W 1080N. I said that 110W is a terrible restriction.

bennyg, TBoneSan, Papusan and 6 others like this.