Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nobody seems to appreciate just how esoteric embedded development is, even when you have access to the relevant datasheets and schematics and don't have to disassemble and reverse engineer existing code.

edney helene likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    A few more thoughts... When somebody does firmware mods for a living, a community based effort isn't going to work and things have great potential to end up being even more of a mess. You don't want more cooks in the kitchen doing BIOS mods and the chances of people ending up with bricked or malfunctioning machines is a whole lot greater when you have too many spoons in the pot.

With @Prema firmware mods (now exclusively available from PremaMod Partner Shops with the purchase of a machine from those shops) the customer has the peace of mind that it is covered under their warranty with that vendor. Customers would not have that warranty benefit with a community based effort and there would be nothing to distinguish the products sold by those PremaMod Partner shops from other sellers of the same product. PremaMod Partner shops are generally a cut above the rest and take greater care to ensure what they are selling works right. Their exclusive firmware from Prema is the icing on the cake. We don't want to see that diminished with buggy shareware BIOS mods. We want to see that investment protected so people that care about owning the best have an incentive to avoid vendors that are not PremaMod Partner shops.

There are also some highly proprietary tools involved that not everyone does, can or should have access to. American Megatrends, Insyde and other BIOS manufacturers are extremely selective about who has access to their special tools and having them in the public domain will never be in the cards with them. In fact, if they got leaked they would likely take decisive actions that makes mods more difficult in the future and probably seek legal remedies against those who are not authorized to posses those tools. Now that firmware is protected by signature cancer filth this is even more true than it ever has been before.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  4. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @Prema please blog your experiences.

If people have ripped off your work I want to know so I can contribute to appropriately shaming and name-blackening whoever is sharing or profiting off the derivatives of your work. I would imagine I'm not the only one here.

It will also feel better to get what you have to say off your chest.

5. Knight666

Knight666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry dude, but for me Prema went too far in commercial. It's not same as it was few years ago. And your text is so long that makes this commercial... meh... boring to read? I'd say propaganda and forcing people to buy from only few resellers (where most are from US/Canada...).

Write more about avoiding all non-Prema partner resellers etc (they are worse and other crap)... I wouldn't be myself (sorry got a bad day today) if I wouldn't say: how much money you get for writing such stuff?

For me, that idea is pretty dead.

And... icing on the cake... sorry only dumb US Citizens (sorry don't want to be rude) can accept such crap. It's cool, fine. Useful, fine. Awesome to have, sure. But icing on the cake? Come on, it's a ad for a child?

I'm here reading everything for years. And I see stuff changing. And I can't believe that people are really dumb to change evil with other evil. And I see gold mine for pew people over here... and a sheeps that will say like in Futurama "shut up and take my money".

edney helene likes this.
  6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm not entirely following all of that but I think the relevant issue is that kudos alone doesn't pay the rent.

If Prema charged a subscription based model and ran a paid-end-user-only service and forum, I'd be all for it.

I think he's experienced a very common thing in the tech world. Give something away free for long enough, people not only come to expect it... but actively push back when told the free gravy train has a final stop.

7. Legion343

Legion343 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So that i have thought. No good but i hope he will find some way to protect his work.
    Good to know that he is still in game.
    Is he now still working still on KM or he started P6XX?

For your response it seems like little propaganda... The bad thing with Prema partners is that the st of them are in North America while other regions were until recently screwed? Fortunately EU have 2 or 3 sellers so situation is better here.

By the way my latest score from my RS with still crippled BIOS
    http://www.3dmark.com/spy/1964200

I plan to go LM for CPU in near future.

Knight666 likes this.
  8. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone!

I am afraid too much has happened as to still being able to point into a single direction as to why I had to pull the plug for the time being.
    What I am feeling right now are the combined consequences of a life experience that I would rather not have had in the first place if given the choice again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it too much to ask for people just to be happy with receiving my work for free for an optional donation?
    Instead they had to start reverse engineering private betas and post tutorials on the net a week BEFORE they where even ready for public consumption. Tutorials which are used until today (even though being pulled from half a dozen places) to advertise and even sell stuff for clicks. No you din't unlock the stupid Aptio V chipset menu by yourself, you just read a tutorial based on my 2015 work.
    What an accomplishment...oh what a great haxor you are!

Back then as a direct result I stopped uploading public mods for the masses and I of course I was the 'bad guy'!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it too much for a 'partner' NOT to extort for some 200$ from each customer, behind my back and under the umbrella of 'warranty coverage'?
    An amount which already exceeds what I am given as a total for my complete mod, no matter how many thousands of systems the re-seller is using it on.

Suddenly I was called the 'greedy guy' and again people took it out on me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it too much to ask a Partner Shop to compensate me at all for my custom work or another partner at least a year AFTER receiving my work?
    Two other partner went out of business before compensating me as well, but well life just happens and I supported them till the end.

So yeah if you think I've run away to make the big bucks, then I have to disappoint you as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was 7 months not time enough for a partner to ship me a KM1 board (even paid for by a third party) in order for me to be able to remove the low level board throttle for everyone? Or was it just tactic to prevent others from receiving the mod while making their own behind my back?
    We shall see soon...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are just a few examples of things happening behind the scenes...there is much more I rather not talk about at this point.

I am very grateful to the 1% of you out there that did support my work, many of which have been very generous indeed (You know who you are!).

Unlocking a system BIOS takes mere Minutes and can be done in a lunch break.
    That's exactly how we started back in 2011, but that's NOT what premamod is about in 2017. No matter what you unlock in a Clevo P-Series BIOS, no matter how high you raise the TDP of your Pascal vBIOS, you won't see the performance improvements you hope for, it'll will just begin to throttle even more...You don't get plug'n'play support for new GPUs by using a magical tool and you can't upgrade to a new CPU generation by simply adding a microcode.
    I work hard since 2011 to make Clevo systems the best they can possibly be, I invested tens of thousands of unpaid man hours to help everyone.

I am 100% behind my honest partner and will neither disappoint them nor the end-user out there that could not purchase from a partner shop. But we have to ensure Clevo & NVIDIA know the difference between the bricks that come-in from the firmware flooding the net and the 'premamod project', or all of us will have to pay the price.
    Now I need you to stop fighting and be patient, so we can prepare for all of you whatever comes next...

PremaMod is NOT dead and just like the Phoenix will rise from his ashes time and again!

With love and respect!

Prema

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  9. Jon Webb

Jon Webb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry dude? meh....Boring to read? Propaganda? How much money you get for writing such stuff? Grow up and show some respect! I know @Mr. Fox personally. He gets zero, zilch, no money for writing what he thinks. @Prema got his work stolen, end of discussion. The dirtballs that do that need a beating. Period!

Scerate, cj_miranda23, SFVogt and 2 others like this.
  10. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I suppose that you didn't even spent a second thinking about this "commerzializing" having been an after effect because some dudes stole away Premas work several times and sold them for their own wallets?

If you say, it should remain open source then please sit down, program something useful and share YOUR efforts with the community! And when you realize that YOUR work has been reverse engineered by others which are making money with it, then there's nothing to complain, right?

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk