Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Mar 4, 2016.

1. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Depending on what gaming scenario. It should have 25% more ROP.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    With much fatter and power hungry 64 bit shaders ;)

tgipier likes this.
  3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    So, with that sort of throttle, it will kill the time. It is the highest multiplier usable over the length of the transcoding. So, if you reduce clocks, for sake of argument, to 3.0 flat and lower voltage, but it NEVER throttles, it will go faster than constantly throttling to 2.6 or 2.7. The point is, if you are throttling that much, you are likely loosing more time than tuning to what it needs to run without throttling.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    OK. That has to be why... 1.300V is way too high for 4.4GHz with 6700K. You should be able to run 4.5-4.6GHz using stock voltage with 6700K. If your BIOS does not have separate cache voltage. set the lower cache voltage using ThrottleStop. At 4.4GHz you can most likely get away with using less than 1.150V for core and cache.

Papusan likes this.
  5. Jon Webb

Jon Webb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I have a question and could use the help. I have a X9E2 with a 7700K, Prema bios, I have both grid and t shaped heat sinks, running a 1070 card, I have spare parts (6700k), ssd drives etc. I want to upgrade to a 1080. Does it make sense buying a stripped down KM1 from HIDEvolution with the Prema bios and 1080 for around $2400.00 Install my 7700K, drives etc and then sell my rig with the 6700K etc to make up the difference. Or is the Z270 board not that big a difference? If that's the case I'll just spend the $1200 on the 1080 upgrade? It's probably a boneheaded question but could still use the help. Thanks guys. Have a good night

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think either way you would end up close to the same outcome financially. That being the case, I'd rather have the KM1 with 1080 due to the extra M.2 slot and newer chipset with Optane support. KM1 does not have a @Prema BIOS available yet. So, you'll have to wait for that and put up with the crippled firmware in the meanwhile.

Jon Webb likes this.
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Even single threaded apps like a stable clock, Ryzen has shown this with its turbo mode being slower than locking the chip to 4Ghz in a single threaded app.

ajc9988 likes this.
  8. ZehTy

ZehTy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone having any luck on overclocking the 1080's after a certain threshold? It seems that after 175MHz overclock in MSI Afterburner, anything higher than that crashes the drivers no matter what I do. I have seen one other instance of this on Reddit here. I would love to go over 2GHz if that's even possible but, I can't seem to figure out a way to do it. I know I can use Curve but, I'm not sure if that would make a difference and what voltage is even safe with go above that threshold.

9. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Ok so I've noticed something a little odd for me with Throttlestop. I apparently can't adjust anything that isn't already set in my BIOS.

So, I tried a -100mV offset in the BIOS, and now throttlestop can adjust between -100mV and stock voltage offset. But if I set say -150mV it doesn't work (only get -100mV worth of reduction). I tested that -80mV does indeed raise the voltage, so it seems like it can affect only that range. To that effect since I left voltage at default I can't manually adjust the voltage with throttlestop either.

Is there some setting I need to change in the BIOS? Maybe something that lets windows adjust the MSR registers or something? I'd much rather use TS to fiddle than reboot all the time.

Edit: I also set max OC ratio to 80 in BIOS, but TS won't let me pass 4.5GHz at all.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  10. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    @Prema if you would please analyze my above post and tell me whether I am idiot or not?

Also, XMP won't work, and I've done NVRAM resets (every time I tried XMP I had to do one; never even booted to BIOS splash screen).

I also cannot enable Fast Boot at all; it just resets to "off" every time the system reboots.

The only thing I could think of was that I saw some CPU lock for something about MSR in windows being "on", and I was sure throttlestop used MSR registers and didn't touch the BIOS, so I don't know if that explains this behaviour (for throttlestop anyway). But I figure it better to ask first.

bennyg likes this.
  11. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have had no success with my ram in xmp either, same problem, never posts, requires nvram reset. Even when using identical timings/clock to standard, or loosening timings, or bumping volts a bit...

D2 Ultima likes this.