Clevo or ?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Drajitsh, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drajitsh

Drajitsh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? 3500$l

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook?
    India, I have problems paying more than 1000$ in foriegn exchange, but otherwise am open to importing. I'm trying to solve the forex problem.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    General home & office, Internet -- I often work with >20 tabs open, encryption, hashing, file compression.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? From my bedroom to home office. I go to conferences once a year.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Very rarely. I like strategy, though I also enjoy rpg-- when I can hack the code.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 5 min to take it from 1 Room to another without switching it off, and in an emergency ( less than once a year) 15 -20 min.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Prefer yes, but I live in a small backward town, so I KNOW that's impossible. Computer DEALERS here think U series i7 are quad core.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10 pro running virtual machines of win xp. I may occasionally require to plug in my personal machine into legacy systems.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    I like small, dense text. I really like TALLER screens (better than 16:9) like 1200p. I'm both prepared to pay a premium for and wait for a taller screen.
    Resolution should be greater than 1080p,
    I WILL not purchase a laptop with less than sRGB but will prefer adobeRGB. A 17" 4000×3000 screen with 10 bit adobeRGB will probably have me selling a kidney.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Matte -- absolutely. Hate glossy screens.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    I care very little for looks. Coloured panels are appreciated as long as they are sober, and don't shout EXPENSIVE. But build quality, and specially resistance to scratches is important.

15) When are you buying this laptop? I have the funds today, but probably will have to give them up in a month or so.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    3 to 5 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    1tb, for programs, documents and photographs I want a SSD but will settle for HDD for videos

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? If there is one, nice; if not, no skin off my nose. I do need to use a CD or DVD a couple of times a year, but I already have an external DVD-RW somewhere.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. Drajitsh

Drajitsh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anybody what are output restrictions are for intel integrated graphics? Do any of them support 10 bit?

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I knew one day someone will come along who will ask for laptops that have taller screens! Thank god I have that option in my search tool. But alas, there no 17 inch laptops with that aspect ratio.
    Here are all laptops that have screens which are a bit taller than normal laptop screens. The one that best fits your description is the MacBook Pro on which you will have to install windows.
    Now, going back to 17 inch here are the laptops that best fit your description: link. I set the weight limit to 4kg, but you can change it using the "Refine results" button. I guess you should probably get a Dell Precision or Thinkpad. The Thinkpad P71 seems pretty much in line with what you want. You can click on the laptops for more details.

Drajitsh likes this.
  4. slim shady

slim shady Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would say 870km1 build quality is quite good.Also buy from hidevolution not endorsing but these are the only guys who will give you an international warranty.

Link
    http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p870km-dual-gtx-1070.html

As for india only azom systems sell clevo laptops that too 2 models only 15 inch 750dm3 and 17 inch 775dm3 and im not sure you will like the build quality the keyboard is ahit on 7xx series
    These guys are based out of kolkata.

For your needs i see atleast 32 gigs of ram, i7 7700k and as for gpu 1060 or 1070 as available model wise.

If this is pure home use why not build a pc with ryzen will be cheaper and bang for buck.
    If you import prepare to shell out hefty amt for customs people.Duty is @ 15%+shipping.
    Either increase your budget or get some to bring it from us for you.

@Phoenix any input bro ?

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Spartan and Drajitsh like this.
  5. Knight666

Knight666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Go with GT73 & single 1080. I love 4K screen so if you can find 1080 + 4K G-Sync display for a good price - go for it.
    Clevo has worse cooling (and loud as hell, only P870DM1 was quiet)), absolutely crappy keyboard, lower quality speakers. But imho looks more badass (pure black vs... lame gaming design).

4K Display can easilly be calibrated to 100% AdobeRGB and has stock 100% sRGB & 90%+ (90-100% depending on stock calibration and example, but no lower than 90%) aRGB. And it's AHVA so it has lesser input lag than typical IPS panel.

Drajitsh likes this.
  6. Drajitsh

Drajitsh Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Yeah, I calculated for a desktop also initially, but there were 2 problems with that plan
    1. In India low end is really available and equitably priced, high end is either not available or exorbitantly priced.
    2. I simply do not have the space for a desktop. Plus, it is possible to pickup and take a laptop with you.

Azom were the 1st people I contacted, but they are TOTALLY against absolutely any changes to the core config as listed in their website. If you need a 1080 then maybe they are not too bad on the value for money front.

I'm trying to find someone who can import a laptop
    and I've also zeroed in on HIDevolution.

7. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    email donald@hidevolution.com and don't forget to tell him that you're an NBR Forum member to get your NBR discount.

See:

HIDevolution - The Best Company I ever dealt with

HIDevolution's Warranty!

Drajitsh likes this.
  8. Drajitsh

Drajitsh Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I asked the nearest MSI dealer, they said, "well I don't know the exact specifications, but it costs 5500 equivalent in INR:chatterbox:" I'm hoping something new is released at computex.

9. Drajitsh

Drajitsh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Spartan likes this.
  10. slim shady

slim shady Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Msi people in india are like out of their minds their is margin of profit on their original prices yet they jacked up the prices by almost 1500 dollars for the same config.so if it costs 1800 in us in india it costs almost 3000 dollars are you ****ing kidding me msi. My god these twats can go and die especially whoever came up with the bloody indian pricing.

Azom are good people but wayyyy to limited in choice in config.

Drajitsh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.