Clevo notebooks with 800M series coming out February 2014

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. svl7

svl7 T|I

Reputations:
    We'll see about that. I kinda think that it's way too early for rebadging a 780m, would not make any sense from my point of view. So I still hope for a 10SMX GK110 based chip, B2 stepping... now that could be really awesome if the notebook mobos can keep up :D

2. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    I said you should stop writing like a kid. Grow up

No. They do not follow tick-tock. They usually do new architecture on a new node. I said "usually" because it isn`t set in stone. They could do Maxwell on 28nm because they do not have a protocol like Intel.
    We could argue what is new architecture here and not, since they do share a lot of similarities but thankfully there are articles that cover it.

Wrong again.
    Broadwell is Haswell. Its the exact same architecture. But Broadwell is 14nm while Haswell is 22nm. So they do release new architectures on previous node. The next architecture is called Skylake. It will also be on 14nm like Broadwell.

Read about Tick-Tock and educate yourself.
    Hint: Tick is new node. Tock is new architecture.

3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    C'mon octiceps, you bring some of this stuff on yourself quite a lot of the time, you're sometimes rude & condescending without being provoked. It does make some entertaining reading at first, but it can become predictable.

Cloudfire likes this.
  4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Based on those performance results, it's hard to tell what the hell is going on. I was thinking it would be a 28nm Maxwell, but now I'm not too sure considering the resulting performance. Only thing that we should be able to see is if there's any power improvements that will be gained from a new architecture. Because 20nm got delayed significantly that there's no reason for nVidia NOT to produce silicon using their new architecture when they can get performance gains later with the die shrink.

Cloudfire likes this.
  5. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    My exact thoughts as well HT. I just wonder if its plausible or if they need to use smaller node to fit all those transistors they built on the particular Maxwell GPU. Say they managed to double the core count with 20nm. Would that even be possible with 28nm or does it require building a Maxwell GPU precisely for 28nm? Could they downclock the Maxwell cores which was meant for 20nm to make it thermally plausible for 28nm?

I think its very confusing as well.

Just found this:
    Hardware.info

Looks like history will repeat itself. Maxwell like Kepler will launch in March like they wrote about here
    NVIDIA Maxwell Based GeForce Graphic Cards Reportedly Shipping In March 2014

This bring more confusion in though:
    Does they assume those are Maxwell out of the rumors floating around lately?
    Have Remco Van Dorrn specified that it is Maxwell?

Man I give up.
    [​IMG]

Cloudfire out

6. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    1. Nvidia doesn't follow a tick-tock release cycle.
    2. Nvidia initially released their Tesla uarch on a 'previous process node'.

So your reasoning doesn't make much sense. Nobody here knows what the 800m series is going to be at this point, but I highly doubt Nvidia would go 3 generations without introducing a new uarch.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Wouldn't they just need a larger die to fit all the extra transistors, just fewer chips per wafer? I dunno, I give up too. We should know soon though if February is true for the 800m series.

8. Riddhy916

Riddhy916 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Any ES sample reviews out? for 880m?

9. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nothing but the 3dm 13 scores up there.. (seems like an OC GTX 780M)

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Sigh. 3rd Gen Kepler? lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.