Clevo N50TK1 ... extremly problematic in reliability

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by ibird1, Oct 13, 2019.

1. ibird1

ibird1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to share my experience with my Clevo NB50TK1 bought in 19/05/2018. I bought this laptop because i need a very powerful CPU (at the moment I have an i7-8700) and a GPU not so powerful. I found the product concept perfect for me at least in theory. All the money you pay go into maximum performance and very little to estetic and build quality. While in general build quality does not connect to reliability, here it does.

Let start: After 6 month from buying it the keyboard started to have issue with some keys. They started to work intermittently, with time they start to work less and less until after 2-3 weeks they stop to work. RMA reair and fixed. I also noticed that this problem is common on other Clevo models as well like the P950x

After about: 7 month I started to notice discoloration of the monitor on the bottom corner i saw yellow stains. Sometime seem more marked sometime less at the border of the screen. I searched this problem and I saw that other manufactures had this problem. There is one thread for the macbook https://gregsamborski.com/macbook-pro-led-screen-discoloration-spots-15-2017-touch-bar/. I my case are less marked. But the dynamic is the same. Because I work with this laptop and sending in RMA is a problem i decided to live with the problem

After about 1 year and 3 month: I discovered that the screen was woblying more that normal. Few weeks later opening the laptop i discovered that opening the lid was also lifting the top cover of the laptop (top cover i mean the cover where the keyboard is located). Same concept give back the laptop for me is a problem so i open the laptop and discovered that all the anchor points of the screen hinge lid, were completely into pieces. It look like the anchor points were not solid enough to resist the stress of the hinges. So I order the top cover and replaced by myself.

Today: The keyboard started to have some key that again work intermittently ... exactly the same as the previous one. most probably will stop to work in few weeks.

I was wondering if someone else had experienced one or more of these problems on the NB50TK1 Clevo model laptop.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Sounds like the lcd panel itself was not handling its own heat generation, it's impossible to know if that's going to happen for the vendor. As for the hinge it's not a common issue as far as I know. Generally it's recommended to use both hands to open the display and impacts/vibrations will stress the connection over time especially if it had a small defect from the factory that would not be evident for the first few months.

3. ibird1

ibird1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Meaker

Thanks for the answer. I will substitute the keyboard and hopefully it will be the last repair.

4. Prmt

Prmt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have found their QC on the Alpha series has been lacking, at least in comparison to the prime line. Is there any chance its still under warranty? The standard is usually 12 months

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It depends on your reseller and local laws.