Clevo N141WU

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by sicily428, Apr 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bifidusse

Bifidusse Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
  3. vs40

vs40 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    After checking review more carefully, I'm noted what 14" version from Schenker have lower temperature than 13" from Tuxedo, so it must be different fan curves.
    12°C difference in stress test.
    But 83°C in Tuxedo also not critical, so after repasting and fine tuning in XTU is must be possible to find optimal curve for best thermals/noise ratio.

Biggest flaws in this laptop for me is very small touchpad and TB3 without charging.
    Otherwise great value for the price.

4. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    We do have chassis which support TB3 charging such as the Schenker VIA 14, but this isn't a Clevo chassis. It's up to each ODM to decide which TB3 features they want to include and this isn't something that can be changed at a later date - though resellers and SIs can request the function, ultimately it's not our decision.

The reason for the different noise levels is due to a number of reasons:

- Different people conducting each review and tests
    - Different layout of results and different results run (for example, in the Tuxedo one they did only Prime + Furmark for the load test, for the Slim 14 they carried out thee tests individually and together)
    - Different ambient temperature
    - SPL testing at 15cm for fan noise is prone to being off-center axis which can easilly introduce a differential

The comment for the SLIM 14 is as follows:

"The fan runs even at low system load and gives a uniform noise of itself. Under load, the volume increases only slightly, so that when using the device, a continuous fan noise must be tolerated. However, this is not loud and is quickly drowned out by ambient noise."

The max load measurements were:

InfinityBook 31.0 dB (A)
    Slim 14 33.4 dB (A)

Also note that the idle level is different - Tuxedo 30.0 vs Slim 14 28.7. The fans are clearly not ramping up in the InfinityBook, as noted by @vs40 the load temperature on the InfinityBook is substantially higher.
    Finally, our internal tests of the SLIM 13 (N130) and SLIM 14 (N140) showed that under Prime+Furmark (so the same as the NBC load noise tests) the max level was higher in the N130 that in the N140. They are the same chassis, same fans, different screen size - so only the EC version (Tuxedo use the same as us) is different - and potentially the MB revision, but same CPU etc.

P.S. my work laptop is a SLIM13 (N130) and the fans only ever ramp up noticably when Kaspersky decides to have a hissy fit - or if I do batch exports from Lightroom when I'm not infront of my PC. Apart from that's it's basically dead silent all the time. Touchpad is small, but it's a small chassis and here's no room to fit a larger one in there. Plus, it has physical buttons separate to the touchpad which is why I went with this as my work laptop over other models which are all-in-one touchpad + buttons, where the whole touchpad moves.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Which uses more power, prime95 or windows background tasks when not at the machine? I'd go for windows :p