Clevo M570TU Cooling Overhaul

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Soviet Sunrise, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    @Soviet,

Inspired by this thread, I did some mild cooling mod on the CPU HS of my 8740w. Even with the space limitations, single fan cooling approach, small radiators and very thin heat pipes, adding an extra link between the heat pipes and the copper plate (thermal adhesive) and also an extra copper plate on top, was enough to lower the CPU load temps by 6-9C.

Thanks!

2. Cyrox1

Cyrox1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello hardware modding community.

I come to you as a stupid gamer-foremost walking like a sheep in the fold asking for simple aid. Please do not cringe at my lack of knowledge because I am just a simple man, with simple needs.

I recently did a bit of cleaning in my Clevo M860TU running a geforce GTX M260.

While trying to figure out how to remove the heatsink, I found the spot marked red in the picture. It looked like something I could apply my shiny new thermal compound to, so I unscrewed it and did just so.

When I managed to remove the heatsink I found my GPU to the right on the picture and on the left I'm pretty sure it was the CPU.

My question is this: What is under the red circle ? What exactly did I apply my thermal compound to ? I'm just curious. The computer seems to be working fine and has dropped 20 degrees celcius under stress, in some cases more. I had to remove a thermal padding to apply the compound btw.

Thank you!
    /Cyrox

[​IMG]

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's the motherboard chipset.

4. smith88

smith88 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm planning on performing this mod(at least to a certain extent, probablyt not as much as soviet) on my p150hm coming in a week or two... Soviet how much time did it take you to only do cpu+ gpu and if you could give me pointers on the it'd be greatly appreciated (I don't think my temp will be critical enough for me to do the heatmod on the hdd, ram, etc. but apparently the cpu from the p150hm runs at 90 and the gpu at 95(both in celsius obviously)

5. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    That could be bad. I think you need some thermal filler for your chipset heatsink here, otherwise it will not make good contact.

Also you are probably not monitoring the chipset temps. You need to get something like hwinfo32 and make sure its not overheating.

6. Eivind

Eivind Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Those temps was not with the fans on max speed.

7. Cyrox1

Cyrox1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, thank you both for this information, it makes perfect sense. I'll get some app to monitor my chipset temps today, what kind of a temperature should I be wary about ?

EDIT:
    I found this thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/301572-full-clevo-m860tu-review.html

And this picture in the thread.
    [​IMG]

Great thread/review btw.

Compared to my own idle temp it looks fine.
    [​IMG]

So I should be safe I take it!
    Thanks for your help everyone and I'm sorry I "hijacked" the thread.

8. Soviet Sunrise

Soviet Sunrise Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It eventually took me less and less time to do as I blueprinted how I was going to proceed with it. There are several factors you need to consider when preparing to modify your heatsink. One of the major ones is ceiling clearance. I originally wanted to do this on my M38AW almost seven years ago but it turned out that the internals were already constrained for space and I did not have the liberty of doing any "hard" additions apart from changing the thermal paste on my Pentium M 780 and GeForce 6600 Go. I've been modding desktops, routers, modems, ever since my old man still handled a computer repair business before he dropped it to fully focus as a general practitioner in law. But my first time modding a notebook was back in 2000 on a ATF (Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms) issued Micron notebook with the ancient Pentium MMX from one of his friends in the Bureau. The Micron, as well as every other notebook made back then, was much thicker and much studier than the notebooks today, but this one probably skimped passed QC as it was overheating. The aluminium plate that screwed onto the CPU had come loose. Back then, the variety of thermal compounds did not exist, so my dad had me use a generic brand, or atleast what I thought was generic as I don't remember the label on the tube. After that, I used a sheet of thin thermal sheeting to bridge the CPU plate to the steel keyboard base directly above to get optimum heat transfer to a much larger surface area. The notebook was alleviated from it's thermal problems and ran just fine again. I was 12 years old at the time. With the help of my dad it probably took me a good two days to figure out how to proceed before gathering the materials needed. Obviously this is on a much lower key compared to my first major halmark project on a notebook that took form in the M570TU. I knew there were already projects like this done on notebooks out there, but none of them went against a few of my design philosophies: one they were not practically achievable for the end user, and two they were ineffective. Through my months of preparation and numerous trials and errors under secrecy, I released my first finished project candidate to the public in this post. http://forum.notebookreview.com/4737862-post231.html. This was the most practical and user friendly project for a Clevo notebook and eventually the final design held as the cooling running 17 incher that can hold out on it's own cooling. When I got my W870CU, I stepped up the bar to simple power tools and better materials for modding. I've already learned so much from the original M570TU project so I didn't need to beat around the bush as much. Had not school and my other obligations interfered with my time, I would have had this done in about a month. But the end result was an extremely well polished design that not even the P170HM can touch with a 10 foot pole. And 90% of the time and effort spent was solely for the CPU and GPU just like on the M570TU. So it is really up to the individual user's abilities and intellectual fortitude that will define how long, or how far, one will go with his notebook project. I've already done everyone a big favor by publishing this article as a foundation for people to start off from. The keyword being foundation here as I still want users to use their heads and think and not copy a step by step cookie cutter guide to modding a notebook. Some users in this thread, and outside this thread, have done so or are in the process of doing so on their notebooks beautifully, and the results shows.

That is your northbridge. If you want to put thermal paste on it, you will need to use a copper shim and make a paste sandwich.

9. SatyreX2

SatyreX2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Soviet,

Firstly: Respect! - You cooler mods for the cases and the U3 are awesome!

I haven't received my Notepal U3 yet and I'm looking at different options for fans.

Is it even remotely possible to shoehorn 2 x 180 mm fans on there?

- I've been looking at the silverstone air penetrator fans which have the air-focusing vanes on them. If I could squeeze 2 of those on there I could get a serious hovercraft-thing going.

I'm waiting for my P170HM and work without air-conditioning so summer is likely to be pretty rough on my notebook. (I nearly cooked my dell notebook last summer.)

10. Soviet Sunrise

Soviet Sunrise Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You cannot mount 180mm units onto the U3 because the frame of the fan nearest towards you will not have enough space underneath the U3, unless of course you want the far end of the frame to stick out the back and somehow keep it mounted on the cooler with rubber bands. You're better off using multiple 120mm or smaller fans. Remember, bigger doesn't always mean better. Two 120mm's should be more than enough. Just make sure you clean the fan rotor and the holes on the U3 as I found out that dust started to collect in the holes after a few months of neglect, though it's nothing that a few cotton swabs can't fix.

I have reached a pivotal point in my life where I am/will be starting a new chapter towards being a mature individual and a contributor to this great society. I've been really busy with life lately leaving my activity on my regularly subscribed forums for another time after I settle down. This is my graduating semester before I apply to go for my MS in engineering, so my hands are full right now. In lieu of the recent disaster in Japan, the company that I have licensed my design patents for a low cost solar wind turbine is taking action and producing another batch of units to aid with the struggle overseas. Keep your eye on the IEEE forums for more news. In a few short months I will be marrying my life partner and perhaps starting a new branch in my family. I have been hired by the SFPUC as one of the service and quality design managers and am currently developing an automation system for civic and corporate structures to enhance energy savings and backup. Depending on how the near future works out, I may stay or I might apply for a different job.

Though I have come onto the NBR forum less and less, I managed to pick up two new computers to stay up to date. I have sold off my W870CU and my 1201N for a handsome share of income and replaced them with the elusive P170HM and 1215N. Both are maxed speced to the gills and the big one has been overclocked nicely, yet mildly. I have no plans to mod either of them as my daily schedule will not allow me to. But it does overclock very nicely and the 300W PSU really does help. It's quite an amazing piece of hardware. The U3 helps a bit, albeit I still only play Source games, which are not very taxing as some of the more recent blockbusters.

I may not be able to respond much to this thread, but I'll still keep tabs on it, and many other threads that I am obligated to. Just post what you need to in the thread, and if I don't respond within a reasonable timeframe, drop me a PM to get my attention so I can view it. But I still remain certain of my current "upgrade" options for the CM Ux series as you can shape your cooling needs the way you want it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.