Clevo Inferior GPU's?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Danishblunt, Oct 1, 2017.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The simple fact that the NP9873 with 6700K and Z170 chipset (i.e. late 2016 P870DM3) is not the latest available model, that you might be considering buying right now alongside the GX800/21X/GT83VR were you shopping right now, means it is not a fair comparison.

sicily428 likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Different bios/Ec or faulty unit can make a huge difference even with stock clocks. Eurcom SkyX9 and AVA Direct P870 is same Clevo model.
    CF8E5BDD-B964-4465-97AA-1D0528A8FDED.png

Mr. Fox, ole!!! and TBoneSan like this.
  3. TheReciever

TheReciever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    LTT is a PR guy, not really a legit reviewer

Especially on laptops

EDIT:

Ill go on to say that many of things he considers pros or cons piss me off to no end that I stopped watching any of his content altogether.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    sicily428, Mobius 1, TBoneSan and 2 others like this.
  4. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After following most of your messages here, my answer is "Yes".
    It will be a loss to people that really need a portable workstation to lose someone that tries to improve systems and does a good job to improve the community.

sicily428, ole!!! and Papusan like this.
  5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    hopefully mr fox will come back to clevo or F7 once intel gone 8 cores with mainstream, assuming everything else is just as nice, ie cooling, design etc.

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:

exactly, thank you!

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Desktops are boring and easy ;)

jaybee83, t456 and skandal like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    And, more powerful. And, much less expensive to upgrade. And, more upgradeable. ;) - I'm ready for something to be easy for a change. I'm getting kind of burned out on having to fix so many borked and broken things on new laptops. The 16L13 has been an equally challenging pain in the ass to get everything right. In both cases it has been worth it in the long run, but just barely. Awesome that HIDevolution is applying the knowledge to help their customers, too.

I still love my P870DM3 and think it is the best laptop I have ever owned, without exception. Before the DM3, the DM-G was the best laptop I have ever owned, without exception. I really love them... awesome machines. But, neither one was acceptable to me with stock firmware. All of the tweaks and mods to get the cooling right is sort of fun at first, but it gets old pretty fast and later on I begin to wonder why I spent so much money on something that was messed up from the factory and required so much effort to correct.

Just wait until the DM-G 1080 mod is finished and I show everyone what is involved with making it bootable on an older machine. I'm pretty sure hardly anyone is going to want to try it. Thank God for @Prema and @Khenglish and their help or I would have already given up on that and used the MSI 1080 (plug and play with that GPU). Clevo really screwed us hard on the MXM pin-out changes made to their 1080. Form factor was enough change to deal with and the MXM pin-out change just adds insult to injury. I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it, but I am pretty sure they did it to block upgrades and stop people from using their 1080 GPUs in other brands. Proprietary stuff (and dirty pool) always sucks.

TBoneSan, sicily428 and Papusan like this.
  9. TheReciever

TheReciever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    SFF desktops are fun to build out too, if and when I ever get a desktop its always SFF

TBoneSan, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    This doesn't seem too boring to me.

steberg and TBoneSan like this.