CLEVO i7-8700k --- IS IT TOO HOT??? $2400

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by shapenautics, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shapenautics

shapenautics Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys.
    New user here.
    I just bought my first custom built Clevo laptop for my 3D modeling and 3D renderings on the go.
    Specs include the legendary 8700k CPU.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran my 3D Software and recorded my temps.
    Are they high? Because the fans were pushing out super hot air.
    I did the test again but this time I removed the bottom cover (to allow more cool air) and elevated the back end of the laptop by 2" off the table so it can draw more cool air.

Screenshots included.
    Give me some advice here guys plz.

BTW thermal NT-H1 thermal paste was used between CPU and Heat sinks.

Start-up temps (no load, no software running)

[​IMG]

Began 3D Rendering w/ Closed bottom lid - fan runs at full speed (loud)
    [​IMG]

Began 3D Rendering w/ bottom lid removed + suspended laptop 2" from the tabletop

[​IMG]

2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is too hot, you should undervolt the CPU slightly to lower the temps. If you want a final solution though, you will need to delid it and put liquid metal between the die and IHS - should lower the temps by 10-20 degrees.

camberman3000 likes this.
  3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah that seems way too hot although those are pretty high clockspeeds. I think your question may be better in the clevo forum section to see what users there are doing. I would second undervolting it and repasting at the bare minimum. My desktop processors have all had 15-30C drops with delidding like @Arrrrbol mentioned. But depending on your level of experience that may be a huge undertaking. There are places that you can send your cpu in to be delidded but I've never used them so I can't comment on that.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  4. camberman3000

camberman3000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Undervolting and/or de-lidding is an absolute must. Repasting by itself probably won't help more than a few C at best. Many who post in the P775 forum seem to complain about the heat because the chassis is smaller than its big brother, the P870.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  5. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This. Delid is needed to really get full use out of it, and even then overclocking is possible but not to the extent of the thicker and larger chassis. I have the littler brother P751TM and it's an even smaller chassis. With delid and 60mv undervolt I peaked at 85 after 7 mins of handbrake and CPU at 120w (still too hot but I can deal with it).

Papusan and Arrrrbol like this.
  6. shapenautics

shapenautics Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for all of the replies guys.
    Deliding is out of the questions since laptop still has a warranty.
    I spoke to the seller (Pro-Star) and they have been terrific people to deal with (thanks Jeff), and they will take the laptop back in for a full refund, so that puts me back on the market for a replacement that runs much cooler but still offers great CPU performance.

I was looking at some laptops with 8950HQ - anyone knows if that CPU suffers from same heat issues as the 8700K?
    (knowing that 8700k is a destop CPU and the 8950HQ is a laptop CPU) - so I'm hoping that the i9 has been made to run cooler since it wad destined to be in small enclosures?

Thanks guys.

PS- I couldn't find the "Clevo" section on this forum.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. The Strategist

The Strategist Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Where did you get this laptop?

Arrrrbol likes this.
  8. shapenautics

shapenautics Newbie

Reputations:
    Arrrrbol likes this.
  9. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    That is definitely too hot , this is what my Dm3 can do using the TM1 CPU heatsink (Mind you the ambient temperature was at 30C)-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With he ambient temperature being that high, this is pretty darn good. Once i turn on the AC and drop the ambient to 22C-24C, the system temps drop by another 5-7C while running sims in Houdini or rendering in Redshift/Vray.

You definitely need to undervolt though, 1.3V for those clocks is rather way too high and will generate too much heat.

Papusan and Arrrrbol like this.
  10. camberman3000

camberman3000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/sager-clevo-reviews-owners-lounges.1069/

That's the Sager/Clevo owners forum. If you are looking to buy again, I suggest HIDEvolution.com since they offer de-lidding and other mods on various systems and cover those modded parts under warranty. Their sales and support is stellar (no, they don't pay me) :)

edit: kudos to pro-star to do what they can to ensure you are a satisfied customer.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  11. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Call my cynical, but I highly doubt the i9 will run any cooler. Every "gaming" laptop I have seen in recent years (with very few exceptions) thermal throttles out of the box. Temperatures might be acceptable after a repaste - but you will never get the performance of an 8700K. Its a Clevo issue too, their laptops also throttle out of the box as you have discovered, but at least they have the excuse that they are using desktop CPUs rather than BGA mobile ones which don't even have an IHS.

If you need a 6 core CPU, buy a Clevo from a reseller like HIDEvolution that will delid and undervolt the CPU for you. If not, some of MSI's stuff might potentially be alright, though I haven't seen their Coffee Lake stuff yet so don't quote me on it.

shapenautics and camberman3000 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.