Clevo Fan Control for Linux

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Dennismungai, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello there,

Tuxedo Computers has released tuxedo-fan-control, a program that introduces fan control on Linux-based systems for Clevo barebones.

Project: https://github.com/tuxedocomputers/tuxedo-fan-control

Relatively straight-forward to build and deploy on many Linux variants, from Debian based systems all the way to the SUSE family.

For back-light control, take a look at this: https://github.com/tuxedocomputers/tuxedo-keyboard

I'll test this on the P751DM2-G later on in the day and report back with results.

Limitations and usage:

See the user guide: https://github.com/tuxedocomputers/tuxedo-fan-control/blob/master/docs/user/user_manual.md

Dev manual, see: https://github.com/tuxedocomputers/tuxedo-fan-control/blob/master/docs/dev/dev_manual.md

The notes in the second document point out the first known limitation concerning dual-fan GPUs found on some models, such as the P955ER: Only one GPU fan in such a setup can be controlled.

On future goals for the projects:

Tuxedo intends to upstream this work , separating the older WMI driver into multiple submodules and clean-up work needed to merge this to the Linux kernel. We can expect multiple WMI drivers for Clevo based barebones that can be configured in the kernel in the future.

FYI: The fastest way to track changes in the Linux kernel without subscribing to the LKML is through the kernel newbies changelog. It has a good summary of what to expect in the current stable kernel.

rommer, steberg, comp5 and 5 others like this.
  2. rommer

rommer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Excellent news! Thanks for sharing!

I plan on dual booting Linux and Windows.

3. Dennismungai

Reputations:
    You're welcome.

My hands have been pretty tied up this week (embedded systems dev work is time consuming), haven't had the time to test the fan controls on Linux (yet).
    What system are you on at the present?

4. rommer

Reputations:
    I run Ubuntu 18.04 on my current HP laptop. All of my servers are Linux based as well.

I have approximately 3 dozen different VM's that I run on my laptop based on the work I need to do at the time. (No, I don't run them all at the same time!)

5. rommer

Reputations:
    @Dennismungai,

Finally got around to checking out your software. The keyboard software works great!

Having issues trying to build the fan control and I was wondering if the referenced deb file was available for download and if there is a cost involved? I'm running Ubuntu 18.04. There appear to be some missing script files and the build fails.

Thanks
    John

6. Dennismungai

Reputations:
    Thanks, but I have no involvement whatsoever with the software, or with Tuxedo, as a company.

Have you installed the requested dependencies, namely nodejs,
    autoconf, automake and build-essential packages?

They can be installed via:

apt install autoconf automake build-essential nodejs

No. However, the build system generates these artifacts, via cpack.

Also, no. It's completely free.

Let me verify the build instructions. Perhaps they've omitted some dependencies in the process. If this is the case, I'll submit a pull request with updated documentation on the same.

7. Dennismungai

Reputations: