Clevo/EVOC PA71ES-G Review

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by LeiEn, Jun 5, 2018.

1. shanehhhh1

shanehhhh1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    He doesn’t say, does he? Hmm

Vistar Shook, chezzzz and LeiEn like this.
  2. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Maybe he's diligently scraping the entirety of the internet to form the list and benchmark everything ;):D:rolleyes:

Vistar Shook and chezzzz like this.
  3. MobileGaming

MobileGaming Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm under the impression this is the same laptop as the NP8375?

I just bought this as well and waiting for a backorder to fill in a few days. It looks perfect for me because I travel for work. I'm only concerned about the heat. I noticed someone on reddit mentioning that they had bought the NP8375 directly from the Sager website and literally described it as a burn hazard, and pointed out his CPU temps were breaking 100C. Here is a link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALa...eed_information_on_the_monitor_for_the_sager/

Now I know you got the conductonaught repaste job from HID, I did as well. Could you honestly say your experience has been anywhere near what this person is experiencing? A self destructing burn hazard is not something I want to spend this amount of money on and any insight you can give me is appreciated. According to your review you expect them to hover around mid 80's temp at 80% fan speed while gaming. Which I would certainly be comfortable with. Nothing higher than that though.

chezzzz likes this.
  4. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is the same model, yes. I bought it probably for a lot of the same reasons others did - mostly for heavy work and light gaming. I'm honestly not surprised after reading that Reddit comment; the stock Clevos are known for having poor cooling, and I wouldn't have bought mine without the upgraded repaste. The top-left area of the base plate does indeed get hot when gaming, and warm when power-using (which I mentioned in the written half of the review). I don't have a heat cam or anything to list actual temps, but it's warm enough that I would be uncomfortable if it was any hotter in both regards.

Temps are stable at low-to-mid 80s for me, and the comfort level of using the keyboard is largely mitigated by using an external one, but I can definitely see how that my opinion of usability could change quickly if it was a few degrees more. While the al-aluminum body provides excellent durability, I wonder how sensible it is to use it for the baseplate. Though aluminum may be good at transferring internal heat outwards, it also retains ambient warmth way longer than PC plastics, so the area stays warmer to the touch than I imagine a plastic one would, and judging from stock temps without repaste, it's not doing much to help dissipate heat in the stock config.

Looking at the options that have popped up just in the last month since I've bought mine, I'd probably go with the Asus GL703GS at this stage as well, since it now boasts very similar specs given the 8750 in it AND upgraded 12V fans (but no TB3 support, FHD webcam, or per-key RGB - probably better speakers though)! Knowing what I know now about the warmth + fingerprint magnet aluminum baseplates, I may try to sell this one after a year and upgrade to the latest and greatest at the time of sale just for the sake of testing out a different manufacturers offering to see how it stacks up.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Boseph McGee and chezzzz like this.
  5. MobileGaming

MobileGaming Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, glad to hear the CPU temperatures are under control. It is what your original review implied and I wanted to see if you had any new experiences since then. I was more worried about that than surface temperatures.

The only question mark left for me is the heat on the keypad. I've never used a machine that did that before. I don't really know how it would affect me. Originally I brushed it off as a non issue... But now I don't know. How can you put a thing like that into words. Does it feel like the tips of your fingers are getting uncomfortably hot? Are your palms getting warm? Or does it only feel weird when you intentionally touch it to see how hot it is? If its constantly making your hand uncomfortable while gaming, that would be the kiss of death for something like this.

The size, components, build quality, and panel are all really appealing. My last laptop was an ASUS and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I like the build quality on these Clevo's because they don't seem to be engineered to skimp on materials and reduce production costs. They're built like a Model T from what I can tell.

chezzzz likes this.
  6. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'd say it's pretty subjective; if you're in a cold room, it's probably a welcome feature (joke), but conversely if you're in a hot room, it ain't gonna help the situation any. So far, I've found that because it IS metal, it retains heat longer than plastic, period. That means that once the palm rest gets warm, it stays warm while you're using it. If you're doing heavy gaming, it may affect your immersion if you're sensitive to the heat. Make no mistake: it seems like most of these thin + light laptops are plagued with high surface temps during gaming sessions, so the difference of 10 degrees F between this and something more efficient seems pretty moot to me.

The problem is also the solution that these things provide: they are 'desktop replacement' models. You get tons of power in a highly portable form, but theres compromises to be made across the board. Dealing with heat (or fan noise that comes from dispersing it) is one of those major compromises. On that tip, if you treat it like a desktop replacement and get a few externals to solve shortcomings, like a decent keyboard, then you can pretty easily remedy those issues (same goes for the speakers).

What it really comes down to is how long you're willing to wait and, to a degree, how much you're willing to spend. If I'd had the ability to wait a few more months, I would've waited for reviews on all the new 8750 offerings, but I had work piling up and needed a machine on the cheaper end that could handle it, and this has definitely been that thus far, but nothing comes without caveats.

chezzzz likes this.
  7. MobileGaming

MobileGaming Newbie

Reputations:
    It looks great, I just don't want to feel like I'm touching a handwarmer....

There is a review of the previous model on youtube in case anyone wants more information. Only difference is the upgraded CPU and Panel on this ESG model.

chezzzz likes this.
  8. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    I have a PA70HS-G (1710) and I can confirm about the upper exterior regions do get warm, especially the power button, being right over the GPU. I've been able to tame the heat by:

1) Laptop Cooler underneath. This helps a lot, as there is now less heat to transfer into the aluminum and keys.
    2) Game with VSync enabled with GSync, or if external monitor, adjust framecap with RTSS. Not putting a 100% load on the GPU/CPU constantly helps a lot.
    3) Undervolting. This will shave a few degrees off the top.

Boseph McGee and chezzzz like this.
  9. MobileGaming

MobileGaming Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, how does it feel resting your hand on WASD when it's heated up?

chezzzz likes this.
  10. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Good review as always by JT. Going to be hard to find anything that doesn't produce some considerable warmth (esp. gaming) in the thin, light, and powerful form factor since it's always at the expense of efficient cooling. If you have the luxury of putting your pre-order on hold for a bit, I'd wait for the GL703GS reviews (there are a few out there, but I haven't found one with thermal readings yet).

A few other differences between the 70HS-G + 71ES-G are the updated WIFI card w/ BT 5.0 and per-key RGB keyboard. if you're doing any kind of content creation, I'd highly recommend the IPS at this price level. If you're mostly gaming, the ChiMei TN is probably preferable.

A vacuum cooler on that side in particular would probably go a long way to pull that heat away as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/LC05-Cooling-Auto-Temp-Detection-Compatible/dp/B00XKU47Y2

chezzzz likes this.