Clevo/EVOC PA71ES-G Review

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by LeiEn, Jun 5, 2018.

1. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    LOL, wow. Should've known I was chumming the waters with such prime-time tech troll bait. Alas, my credibility as an amateur 'notebook enthusiast' who bought a new laptop for the first time in years has been destroyed. Well dang, I worked so hard to earn such high esteem. Easy come, easy go. I suppose I shall have to start at the bottom again; trying to (futilely) impress the NBR masses with my (lack of) mastery. Glad we have the keen eyes and ears of digital demi-gods such as yourself, Sir @Danishblunt, for we'd all be lost without your completely unbiased or overly-analytical critiques of things that are ultimately trivial. Hoorah! Rejoice ye fellow members! HE HATH SPOKEN!

But in all seriousness (or not) and full discretion, the computer was not actually at COMPLETE AND UTTER IDLE at the time of review, because I was of course running screencap software, as well as avast in the background, Adobe Cloud, and CCC 2.0 (let's all collectively gasp at the horror of the lack of sterility in my review conditions).

My intent was to give my opinion, which is that the fans are indeed quiet enough FOR ME, thus the inclusion of the word 'subjective' in my review. I hereby formally apologize to anybody that was mislead due to the nature my amateur review and brash usage of adjectives like "quiet" and "cool". Perhaps I was brainwashed into thinking those were apt given the categorization of that noise level of the dB meter app I was using at the time, which registered the fans as somewhere between 'quiet library' and 'moderate rainfall'.

As far as speakers and "fine-tuning"...I think you may want to see somebody bro. You seem to have an abnormal fixation on how loud or overpoweringly awesome laptop speakers should be. As stated in the review, it's a laptop. IMO, any self-respecting gamer or audiophile is going to get external speakers of some kind to get the full experience anyway, so your point is relatively moot. IDK about anybody else on the boards, but I wouldn't buy any laptop with the expectation I'm going to throw a houseparty with it.

Moreoever, I'd be willing to bet that most people who'd buy a $700 HP laptop probably aren't doing so because the speakers 'crush'...nor are they likely interested in how many cores their processor has or if they can play games with textures on ultra. There's a beautiful, old-timey saying that sages have whispered from time immemorial, and I feel as though it is my duty to pass on such knowledge of the ages to you, Sir Blunt: "Different strokes for different folks."

If people want to pay hundreds more for block-rocking machines with fancy branding and "fine-tuning", that's all good. I simply presumed that most people who'd gotten deep enough down the rabbit hole of custom-laptop reviews to watch mine were much like me: somewhat tech-literate geeks who are weighing the options and parsing all the data out there with ample grains of salt. My bottom line was that it's good value for the money if you don't mind the caveats. You clearly DO mind, and that is your opinion, just like it's mine not to care that much about them. Everybody else is free to make up their own mind based on my (obviously) subjective opinion and experience.

2. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    AIDA64 scores are the 1st image in my benchmark link. 4+ mins of 100% CPU usage yielded 85C max. Considering there's very few circumstances that would actually happen, I think that between AIDA and BF1, it's safe to say this machine isn't going to crack 85C anytime soon, and this is all pre-undervolt. Will update as I have the time to test other conditions.

CPU values not being read are likely being caused by a software conflict. Will probably reinstall OS next week in order to try and undervolt with XTU.

My pleasure man. GPU undervolting is available in the Clevo Control Center (see linked video in Review description on YouTube), but I can't confirm CPU undervolting ability at the moment because there appears to be some sort of software conflict that is not allowing my CPU values to be read right now. AFAIK, only possible through XTU or ThrottleStop, as no option exists in BIOS and PremaBIOS isn't available for this machine with the 8750H config. Going to reinstall OS next week and check it again; will update if things change.

As for fans, they're pretty gimped by the control center, which is definitely one of the caveats of Clevo machines. I mentioned in my written review that it's pretty silly that they're as limited as they are, and I really have no idea why they'd set a limiter for the customizable profiles at 80% and then only make a jump to 100% with the manually-set 'maximum' setting (at least for CPU...GPU goes up to 90% in custom profile). There's a lot of very intelligent and adept members on these boards, so if it were possible to mess around with the fan curves, they'd probably have done it already. Access to the EC seems to be pretty limited with Clevo hardware. IN MY OPINION, the fans are quiet enough and I don't notice them unless I'm gaming. However, if you're the type who thinks libraries are noisy, rainfall is deafining, and a door shutting sounds like a thunderclap to you, then they may very well irritate your overly-sensitive ears and cause you to take to a forum board to shout down anyone who says Clevo fans aren't very loud.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Vistar Shook, chezzzz and XMG like this.
  3. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I messed with SBX for awhile but (much like the accompanying Clevo Control Center) found it painfully basic. I'm not a full-fledged audiophile like yourself, but the jump in decency was much more noticeable (and controllable) with EQAPO and Viper. I'll take a D over an F any day ;)

PS: Being a lifelong basshead, I would LOVE to hear that sub. Respect on the DIY build!

Vistar Shook, chezzzz and XMG like this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Misleading people would be talking in absolutes and extremes in every case, like calling all BGA filth or someone's choice a mistake because it does not conform to your personal view.

Vistar Shook, chezzzz and steberg like this.
  5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Then you did a poor job since you could pay same amount, while getting more performance. Also someone who claims to care about decent performance yet is completely oblivious to his performance I call BS on your statement.

6. shanehhhh1

shanehhhh1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Maybe he values modularity and isn't interested in something that will have to be entirely replaced if, say, the board goes bad. In other words, he's smart. I haven't been here for two years, but now that I'm back, all I've seen is that you have an ax to grind against Clevo, and you are damaging the credibility of these boards by recommending models that have not been released, by attacking posters who happen to enjoy tweaking their systems, and by being a genuine troll. Congratulations! You're entirely misleading novices and annoying everybody.

Vistar Shook, chezzzz and LeiEn like this.
  7. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well I, for one, eagerly await your list of 17" 8750+1070 TB3 144hz IPS slim profile options for $1700 or less. Don't forget those benchmarks plz, because they're definitely more important to me than the whole package.

https://giphy.com/gifs/thank-you-smug-zVvg4z8nwWAvu

8. vIkInG_w0w

vIkInG_w0w Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm also looking forward to buying this laptop! But God that CCC 2.0 looks awful (kinda like the ASUS one, but atleast that works as intended I guess)! Why can't anyone make a simple and minimalistic "working" design?

Speaking of, is there by any chance a third party universal app that controls keyboard backlighting and stuff?

chezzzz likes this.
  9. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No open source access to the EC, which controls all the hardware, as far as I know. I emailed Clevo to inform/ask them about the broken sleep timer setting, and (in broken English) they told me "Could you please contact with where you bought the laptop from the vender to them to update the BIOS for you. it will be fine."

So yeah...at the mercy of half-@$$ developers and a locked EC.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    chezzzz and raz8020 like this.
  10. Jacol

Jacol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am also courious what else could you buy and get better performance for same amount.

chezzzz and LeiEn like this.