Clevo/EVOC PA71ES-G Review

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by LeiEn, Jun 5, 2018.

1. hegel

hegel Newbie

Reputations:
    Still better than a MSI though.

ole!!!, chezzzz, LeiEn and 1 other person like this.
  2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Careful now, those are the trigger words. :D

aIex, Vistar Shook, ole!!! and 7 others like this.
  3. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    @Danishblunt

I think it's safe to say that nobody else on this subforum agrees with your opinions about laptops, especially when you put them forth "as matter of fact". Look at your own Clevo audio mod: you swapped out the drivers with different ones, you 3D printed acoustic chambers to isolate the new drivers from the casing, and afford it some airspace. Then you went on about some software mods you did to the driver, of which you won't supply to the public, so I am dubious about any of that. All in all, you did a complete overhaul, for a marginal improvement at best? Still won't compare to my Sony SRS-X7 speakers, and I don't expect them to. Even those have their limits.

I did enjoy his part in the video review stating that no laptop has great audio, so keep your expectations realistic. I believe I've said that several times in response to your dribble.

There's nothing wrong with using a post-process audio application. Heck, Creative's SBX software is just that. :) He just used whatever he was comfortable in using to EQ his laptop speakers. No foul here.

I think the point here is to try and keep things in perspective. Yes, there can be some decent laptop speaker setups, but it's still a Grade D audio solution no matter how good it gets. Chamber acoustics, speaker driver capacity, power delivered, air pressure on-hand, etc, these things all affect speaker performance. I'd love to get the specs of the drivers used in these Clevos, and throw them into AudioCAD and see what would really be needed to get a balanced audio output, if possible.

As you may have guessed, I know a thing or three about speaker design. I have a DIY subwoofer that I built from an Adire Shiva Mark IV 15" longthrow, with a 4" flared port tuned to 18Hz, 3/4" plywood, 25" square, 6 chambers, 370W amp plate. (Design from AVS Forum for AudioCAD, using driver specs) It can do +/- 1dB from 150Hz to 14 Hz, at 136dB output. The best part about it is that it's totally musical, and you can feel a bassist's fingers run down their strings. $465 total in parts, wood, and 5 cans of Cherry stain.

I made that because I thought the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 sub was good, but things could be better. :D (And I didn't want to spend $2000 on a reference sub)

4. Richteralan

Richteralan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice review, thanks for sharing.

As for no reseller offering panels other than FHD I might look elsewhere.

chezzzz and LeiEn like this.
  5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Ignorance is bliss

6. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    I used to do audio reviews for 3DSoundSurge. Where's your SPL readings of key frequencies? Loudness readings? What you have there is an amateur review demonstrating no more than loudness scaling. Do some of the science and document the changes properly please.

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    This is a thin and light with a modern low NM chip, it's focused on performance more than absolute temperatures. Even the GT75 which is far thicker demonstrates it struggles to cool this chip. We have been stuck on the same process node and now we are seeing the results when you continue to push the thermal envelope. That's just the price everyone pays for 10nm being delayed from Intel.

If you want to push it further you can get a desktop chip based machine and carry that envelope forward another 1-1.5Ghz or back it off and have it running much cooler.

You continue to be aggressive towards all the users on this forum alienating yourself, which is a shame because I have seen you help others out. If you continue like this getting further and further towards the edge then I can see you getting kicked off the forum which I would find a shame, i'd like everyone to be able to take part.

8. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't get it...

Using a video to demonstrate audio quality differences and not graphs is a pointless endeavour.
    No levels, no microphone model, no charts. The only thing I can tell is that the modded driver is just louder, there's a cut at 600hz for some reason (could be a result of normalisation?) and the bass sounds like mud because literally everything is boosted. Even the original source doesn't bias the low end THAT much. Pretty standard given it sounds like run of the mill superior drummer samples and he keeps riding that damn crash on the right channel instead of mixing it toward the centre.

There's also some "pumping" going on in the 2nd half (which might be Youtube's doing). Or some compression effect has been added and over-done.

Either way, anybody who actually cares about audio would do themselves a favour and use headphones.

9. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Cheers~!

Yeah, I downloaded that tool; unfortunately it's paid software and I'm not entirely sure it does anything other than check the Clevo driver page for updates for you, but if you (or anybody else) uses it, I'd be interested to know how the experience is. It's cool somebody is offering some 3rd party support for Clevo stuff at any rate.

My pleasure!

Many appreciate, Doge-approved!

Vistar Shook and chezzzz like this.
  10. Jacol

Jacol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey LeiEn,

thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    I am interested in buying this model myself. Maybe you or other participants can share there thought and answear my questions.
    Is it possible to undervolt gpu and cpu without Prema bios? Can you do it via normal bios or only via software in windows?

Is it possible to customize fan curves in the bundles or separate software or they are maybe set and hardcoded in the bios and you need to get used to it?
    Does the fans stay quiet when watching youtube, browsing web, using Office or watching typical 1080p .mkv blu ray rip?

chezzzz and LeiEn like this.