Clevo + eGPU results

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by ccarollo, Oct 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It’s wasting 2080ti performance on 1080p especially on eGPU setting imo, I would recommend getting 1440p or 4K monitor. It’s due TB3 bandwidth limitation and cpu bottleneck, try on higher resolution I’m playing SoTR well on 4K and almost getting same performance with desktop setting. Other things to note on high FPS data that transferred between host (laptop) and device would be slower that made huge FPS drop on high FPS. TB3 Egpu setting is also depends on PCIe3 lanes of your laptop, 2 lanes will has lower FPS compared to 4 lanes and would get half bandwidth (similar with tb2) if you use internal laptops monitor due data looping. From benchmark since 3Dmark, Firestrike is 1080p you’ll see huge gpu score bottleneck but not on dx12 timespy, still lower than desktop though but as huge as Firestrike. If you’ve full 3Dmark, you can compare on higher resolution. Far cry could run better if you use full screen instead borderless I think. The cpu temperature and Fans noise as you said, yes it’s a huge improvement and it’s one eGPU setting advantage with gaming laptop, my setting also similar, cpu never breaks 80 on most games, always stay on 70ish since there’s more room for cooling from inactivity dGPU inside laptop. Only AC Odyssey, same as previous origins that stress the cpu more than any stress test can bring it to 80ish.
    I’ve 144hz 1070maxq Laptop and I use that for esports titles to runs over 100fps, but for 4K/1440p games I’m using egpu setting with rtx card. Here’s my post on egpu.io for comparison.
    https://egpu.io/forums/builds/rtx-2080ti-in-razer-core-v2/

Maleko48 likes this.
  2. GK123

GK123 Newbie

Reputations:
    greetings, recently i wanted to upgrade my p870tm-1 1080 to 2080, the options are limited and pricy, either got an upgrade parts of MXM 2080 or egpu option for an clevo 2080 mxm card cost 1799 CAD before tax. or at same price i can got a 2080ti + razer core x RGB. i already got my custom waterblock which worked pretty decent.
    so which one would be a little bit worth?

the waterblock is capable for 2080 mxm card according to seller.

3. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    2080 internal will likely lead to better performance.

4. GK123

GK123 Newbie

Reputations:
    why does it so expensive to buy spare parts in Canada!

5. nuestra

nuestra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My 2080 Ti can 34000 Graphic Points at fire strike score on alienware amplifier with area 51m notebook. A other member here beat my score to 38000 Points in alienware egpu in alienware area 51m

6. Antek J

Antek J Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I just stumbled upon this thread researching whether the addition of a GTX 2080 TI eGPU to my Clevo P775TM1-G with a GTX 1080 is a good idea to reduce rendering times in 3d graphics.

I understand that the eGPU is less performant than its desktop equivalent in real-time applications such as games, but what about 3D production GPU rendering engines such as Octane?

Actually, I would be considering exactly the same solution as yours, @ccarollo. Maybe it is too much to ask, but I thought I would give it a go - would you be so kind and run one more benchmark for me? That would be the OctaneBench with both GPUs enabled, if you could also run the fans in performance mode to minimize throttling it would be awesome. It just takes a few minutes. I would really really appreciate it. It would dispel all my doubts after reading confusing stuff on different forums, and I think such information would be very beneficial for many others.

I was also wondering if it's possible to connect two same eGPUs at the same time for rendering since our Clevos have two thunderbolts. Has anybody tried doing that maybe? Do you think it's theoretically possible?

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!