CLEVO Drivers Update Utility by OBSIDIAN-PC

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Feb 13, 2017.

1. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The weird part is that we use it ourselves.
    The poor choice of name for the service might make you think it’s a CLEVO thing but it’s not.
    That service is basically the fan control engine, I made it myself.
    I’ll try to reproduce it. Are you using Fan Control? Or you have the service for other apps like Keyboard Led?

joluke likes this.
  2. philstopford

philstopford Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm using FanControl, yes. I wasn't sure which tools needed it, but noticed that FanControl would often start indicated that the service had stopped responding and wanted to restart it. I also noticed a complaint elsewhere about the service leaking memory, although I cannot find that now. At some point, uncontrolled, it was using just about 1 GB RAM. It seems to leak 4-6 KB or more a time. It's not a consistent trend and yet as I look at it, it's gone from 7 MB to 12 MB and continues to climb. Running the 20H2 Windows 10 release, in case that matters.

Until recently, I was using Keyboard LED, but was looking at rzrwolf's to see which I liked best, so that is not currently running.

I was trying to see whether the variable leak rate was tied to any kind of system load (e.g. spinning up / down fans, but haven't seen that happen yet). I hadn't considered that other software was using it (e.g. Keyboard LED), so could re-enable that to see if it helps explain the leak rate and accumulation I was seeing. I was mentally thinking this was Clevo related.

EDIT : Keyboard LED seems to have made the leak more rapid. I'm up over 15 MB used right now.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    joluke likes this.
  3. Dmitry Zyabko

Dmitry Zyabko Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @John@OBSIDIAN-PC i sent an email twice to support, and a guy named tiago moura aske me for my uuid and order number and email.
    after i sent him all the details, he never got back to me.
    the first time we spoke was 2 months ago, and the second time was a week ago.
    and still no answer.
    p.s. when i try to activate i get a pop up message sayin "Not a valid license, please insert correct license number or contact support".

FTW_260 and joluke like this.
  4. NierALaptop

NierALaptop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was looking for a keyboard led program to turn off my keyboard because my model PA71ES is not supported by the keyboard app provided by obsidian. I found this one: https://github.com/matheusmoreira/ite-829x. The program didn't work but it did connect to the keyboard it seems that it connect using usb. I tired making a similar app in python to see if I could make it work, but got the same result I can connect to the keyboard but can't send commands. Does any one know why? I suspect it is because windows doesn't allow it unless you use their own API.

5. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Create your own thread to discuss that. Doesn't belong in this topic at all

6. NierALaptop

NierALaptop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I probably should have posted in new thread, but I saw some people create their own drivers and post them in this thread so I wanted to see what they think. I just want to know it the reason it doesn't work is because I have to use Windows HID api, so I don't waste my time on it.

joluke likes this.
  7. rzrwolf

rzrwolf Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Strange thing, but i also started getting high memory consumption of CLEVOSERVICE.exe - around 580mb and icnreasing. Dont remember when it started, i think after windows update to h2.. Uptime around 1 day and 17 hrs.

Attached Files:

dmanti likes this.
  8. philstopford

philstopford Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @John@OBSIDIAN-PC : did you get a chance to investigate this memory accumulation/leak issue with clevoservice?

9. Michael Vineyard

Michael Vineyard Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been using fan control for almost a year now and lately I will get a message that a critical service has stopped responding and i need to give administrator access to fix it. I say yes then my laptop locks up and the keyboard stops working. any ideas how to fix this?

BrightSmith and HawkInOz like this.
  10. djsubtronic

djsubtronic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had this too. Sometimes I have to manually click "Fix Dependencies" in the fan control app, and a couple of times I did this it caused an immediate BSOD.

HawkInOz likes this.