CLEVO Drivers Update Utility by OBSIDIAN-PC

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Feb 13, 2017.

1. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Assuming that is the pascal unit, then no, you can't have one, the heatsink was changed. Unless the new model's heatsinks screw right in and fit flush in the system, but I somehow doubt Clevo would ever do something like that.

2. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    hey John. I am interested in the fan control software because the speed ramping feature is great to have to reduce noise, however there is one thing I must need to know before I purchase this.

I'm on the TM version, currently im using another fan control that allows 2ndary GPU fan to run off CPU temp reading while primary GPU fan is off GPU temp. my CPU heatsink mod will bring additional heat pipes toward 2ndary GPU fan so that means I will need to control CPU fan and 2ndary GPU fan together while not ramping up primary GPU fan. Does the software have this capability?

4. Faktora

Faktora Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I have noticed that my CPU is always turboing for no reason even when I leave my PC idle. It just does not want to go below 3.95-4GhZ. I want it to downclock when possible. Tried Normal and Silent power modes in the Control Station but nothing changed. CPU Minimum is set to 5% tried on 0% but still no difference, CPU Maximum is set to 100%, tried lowering it and nothing.

PS: I want to achieve this will connected to power cord just for lower idle consumption. I am not running the Maximum profile, I am running the Normal/Silent. upload_2020-3-17_12-28-14.png

HawkInOz likes this.
  5. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What does Task Manager say? Which process is showing a high CPU usage?

If you are only going by the sound of the fans, keep in mind that the fans will make more noise if the NVIDIA GPU is in use. Some very stupid things use the GPU by default, for some strange reason known only to Microsoft. Keep the NVIDIA GPU tray icon running and monitor the state, and use the NVIDIA control panel to force prevent these stupid apps from using the GPU.

6. Faktora

Reputations:
    In task manager => Performance tab => Speed > 3.9GhZ ; Utilization < 10%
    As I said even when idling the speed never goes under 3.89GhZ (I think this was the lowest I have seen).

I am aware about the fan situation, but checking the fan speeds I can see that GPU fan is on 0 RPM, because there is nothing using my dGPU, only my iGPU.
    NVidia settings are set to enable dGPU in some programs, like games, in all other cases it is using my iGPU.

My problem are not the fans I don't mind them running in some low RPM mode, I just don't understand why is the CPU constantly boosted to max speed (3.9-4.0 GhZ) when idle and this is the thing I want to change. On battery there is no problem, most of the time the CPU is @800MhZ.

7. anytimer

Reputations:
    Task Manager: Go to 'processes' tab and sort by CPU usage. My idle CPU usage is about 2%.

8. Faktora

Reputations:
    It idles at less than 5% but the problem is that the CPU speed (found under Performance tab) is never going lower than 3.95 GhZ, which for me is odd.
    I think it should always go lower while the laptop is idle.
    upload_2020-3-18_17-44-9.png
    Here you can see what I am talking about, usage is low and still the speed is @ 3.95. I think it should go as low as 800 MhZ while in idle state.

9. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dude. Having a cpu at 3.95mhz makes it faster to respond to your requests. Why do you want a 800mhz cpu? To cripple your performance? Use Throttlestop to control that but it makes no sense (only if you use battery, then yes)

10. anytimer

Reputations:
    It could be related to the running tasks. Btw, in Control Station settings, do you have "stop XTU services" checked? That kills XTU after applying the settings. Recommended.

What performance monitoring utilities do you have running? Try killing everything you don't need and see if that helps. Weird stuff happens sometimes. On a few occasions even Task Manager gets messed up.