CLEVO Drivers Update Utility by OBSIDIAN-PC

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ultra Male, Feb 13, 2017.

1. bk109

bk109 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since I'm coming off a whole week of doing security audits at work, 'cause Cisco gear is bloody awesome like that I'll try to type s-l-o-w-l-y so I'm sure I'm understood (this is/was a rather feeble attempt at a joke, but in my defence I'm about a CVE away from rioting :D )
    Riiight - Fan control is already at the current 2.3.9 after installing and reinstalling a couple of times, so I could rule out potential hardware fault.
    After cycling to any mode in Fan Control and then EC Automatic (and then closing the app), system fan speed ramps down with CPU temp until it hits a point around 42 to 45C (sorry I couldn't narrow it down more, but well... I got lazy and didn't want to enable logging to see a breakdown of how the fan currently behaves in EC mode) and turns off the CPU fan completely. After running a CPU-heavy load (Lightroom batch job for example), CPU heats up to 85*C before the fans kick in at full-speed. Manually selecting Fn+1 and cycling Max and Automatic modes works, but in Automatic mode it again leads to the CPU fan eventually disabling itself, with the behaviour persisting even after a system reboot (Fan Control is explicitly being run on demand, so it doesn't kick in at startup). Killing the Clevo Service or outright removal of the Fan Control module restores system behaviour back to normal.

Short version: the Clevo Service ..err.. service may be acting up, also I kinda forgot to mention that I'm running 1903, so as usual MSFT may've broken something with their latest ode to SaaS and rolling releases. Also Cisco's the devil

2. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Are you sure you tested the latest update? I released it like 10 minutes ago...

Sent from my Mi Note 2 using Tapatalk

3. bk109

Reputations:
    Pretty sure, lol
    [​IMG]

But I'll nuke the laptop tools folder in full and will install from scratch (now that I know how to recover from the unexpected behaviour, it's not a biggie to test things out)

4. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    Laptop Tools folder?
    You mean the settings folder in the user documents?
    Because Fan Control is usually at its own folder: C:\Program Files\FanControl\

If you still have a folder like C:\Program Files\LaptopTools\ then you need to delete it and install all our apps again with each app setup file.

Also i will quote myself:

Now whats really at steak here is: "When you go from any mode to EC Automatic, or When you exit Fan Control, does the EC take over and Fan Control is doing nothing??"
    Well there is a REALLY EASY way of testing this....

Switch from Max (or any other mode) to EC Automatic.... now press FN+1, it will put the fans at max.... wait to see if it gets changed! Why is this a good test? Because if it´s not in Automatic Mode and if indeed Fan Control is doing anything, the second Fan Control does any change to fans the FN+1 (Max Speed) goes away.

Now do the same after exiting Fan Control.... Exit Fan Control and press FN+1.... does it get changed ?

If the answer is NO it does not get changed then i´m 101% sure the EC took over and Fan Control is doing ZERO!

IF FN+1 does not get overwritten after you exit Fan Control or when you set it to EC Automatic, it means the ClevoService is doing NOTHING, actually it's only reading CPU temperature, it is not doing anything Fan related.

5. HawkInOz

HawkInOz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    On mine, FN+1 works in all scenarios. It works when Fan Control is running in Normal mode (my typical setting). It also works in EC Automatic mode. It also works when Fan Control is not running. What does this tell you? I am using version 2.3.9, which I just upgraded to moments ago. I just tried it in every other mode, and it works in all of them. Hmmm.

6. bk109

Reputations:
    Yes, C:\Program Files\LaptopTools, probably because I used an older installer, but that shouldn't really be an issue, given that the app package immediately prompts to update to the current stable version.
    As for you repeating the same bloody thing again, I'll simplfy my response to the simplest terms possible (aka "explain it to management" mode)
    After closing the Fan Control app (current version), the EC Automatic mode initially kicks in until the CPU reaches a low enough temp. At that point, the CPU fan completely shuts off and stays like that until the system becomes unreasonably hot. With fan-off (and Fan Control off), pressing Fn+1 yields an On-Screen "Fan Speed Automatic" confirmation (and not "Fan Speed Maximum" as expected) with a corresponding ramp-up of the fans according to the current system temp. When the system cools down, fans turn off and round and round we go...
    Edit: I'll fire up a clean 1803 install and see if this behaviour is present there as well, because at this point I'm more inclined to blame MSFT

Edit2: Fired up the clean 1803 with the same exact setup (even reused the same install file) and it works as advertised. Gotta love SaaS

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    anytimer likes this.
  7. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    It works ONLY until a temperature triggers a fan update ( in silent, normal, extreme or manual modes).
    That's the intended behavior.

Sent from my Mi Note 2 using Tapatalk

joluke likes this.
  8. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fan Control 2.3.9 - Best changelog message EVER. :vbthumbsup::biglaugh:

9. HitZ2976

HitZ2976 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What happened with the DPC tool @John@OBSIDIAN-PC? Been months since you announced it and forgot about it. Also i'm interested in driver install order for obsidian laptops, since i'm switching to Windows LTSC version and will be doing clean install soon.

10. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    I had to do this run of updates because we were pilling lots of urgent TODO stuff.
    I´m now back at the DPC tool.

HitZ2976 likes this.