CLEVO Drivers Update Utility by OBSIDIAN-PC

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ultra Male, Feb 13, 2017.

1. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No. Can't change brightness at all, not with the function keys, not with the sliders in Control Station, not with Windows Mobility Centre. Only after I uncheck and recheck the 'apply brightness fix on startup' checkbox am I able to adjust brightness, and then all three methods work.

2. Svargod

Svargod Newbie

Reputations:
    @John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Whatever you did with last update to Control Center it fixed the application starting again with Windows on the laptop startup.

Thank you!!!

3. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Already in the "To-Do" list... but it´s one of those things that is not essential so i´ll have to do it on my free time.
    Please give me a bit more time.

joluke likes this.
  4. onecandy

onecandy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do not worry, it was just a small note .. for the rest really a great job, finally tools for a PC of this level ..

John@OBSIDIAN-PC likes this.
  5. Fromont

Fromont Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Excellent thank you, so far so good under normal CAD workloads. Wont see with Gaming until after the weekend but seems fixed...

John@OBSIDIAN-PC likes this.
  6. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I appreciate your difficulties. I tried setting the screensaver to 1 min and enabled the option to prompt for login on resume, and then I'm able to catch event 4800 (workstation was locked) and 4801 (workstation was unlocked), but then I have to login every time (not too bad with fingerprint login, but there should be a better way). I'll keep digging.

EDIT: does PowerActionDisplayOff help in any way?
    You need to register for power events, but that's probably done anyway.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Power/registering-for-power-events

I'm well aware of the fact that this is not your problem - you're very kindly providing a fix for what Microsoft and Intel broke - and I thank you for your efforts to make our lives easier.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  7. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    What amazes me is that i can´t reproduce this in ANY of our laptops.
    When the screen times out and then turns back on the brightness still works.
    Capturing the screen on or off is not as easy as it seems, i already have a native event filter and there is no message for when that happens.

Still... i´m still trying...

Can you test this one:
    https://johnkeelnas.com/files/BETAS/ControlStation_BrightFix.zip

Download that
    Extract it
    Close your Control Station (really exit it)
    And replace your ControlStation.exe with the one in that zip file
    ControlStation is located at C:\Program Files\ControlStation\

Please tell me if that fixes it for you....

8. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No. Problem is still there. No change.

I'm using your Updater, and all the drivers are as per the selected model P950HP6 (my laptop is P957HR, details in sig). Only Sound Blaster is ahead - 2.0.0.33 as opposed to 2.0.0.19 in your list.
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64, United Kingdom, Version 1809 Build 17763.379
    i7-7700HQ 16GB RAM, GTX1070 MaxQ (8GB VRAM), HM175 chipset, Samsung M2 960 Pro 512GB + SATA HDD 2.5"
    Apps other than what Windows installed - your stuff, LibreOffice 6.2.0.3, IrfanView, 7-zip, Firefox, Chrome, BatteryBar, qBitTorrent, LatencyMon, HP printer 3630 series. I'm willing to do a clean install if needed, but this install is just a few days old.

9. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    Put you screen to 100% bright.
    Set the screen timeout (in windows power manager) to 1 minute.
    Now look at it, right before it turns off, does it first go to 50% brightness (for like 2 seconds) and then it turns off?

I can probably catch that, register some hooks for keyboard and mouse, so that after that even, as soon as you touch mouse or keyboard the fix gets applied again.

anytimer likes this.
  10. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, my display just quietly goes black - no interim dimmed state.
    Btw. there is no brightness slider in power options with W10 build 1809.

Something really weird is going on. In ControlStation, I had set the brightness to 20%. I moved the slider to 100% like you asked, then opened Power Options and changed the display timeout to 1 minute, but when I clicked 'save changes', the display immediately went back to 20%. Changes to brightness made by the slider in ControlStation don't stick, but get reversed when changes are made in power options while changes made by the Fn keys or Windows Mobility are persistent.

EDIT: after playing around with the settings a few times, this automatic reversal is not happening any more. The original problem (of the display waking at 100% brightness and the brightness controls moving but not doing anything, and the brightness fix needing to be reapplied) is still there.