CLEVO Drivers Update Utility by OBSIDIAN-PC

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Spartan, Feb 13, 2017.

1. boober

boober Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't quite follow that, but I'll try and identify how Rainmeter accesses this information. Thanks for the response.

2. Lynx2017

Lynx2017 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    this worked great, thanks! I have a backup USB drive now with the latest drivers, so if I ever need a clean install I have 0 need to connect to the internet, thanks John you rock!

3. NierALaptop

NierALaptop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It shutdown again it is definitely the fan control 2 that is causing it to shutdown.

4. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That did happen without CCC installed correct?
    Was it a shutdown with the message "the system is shutting down" or it just turn off ?

Enviado do meu MI Note 2 através do Tapatalk

5. cwiggy78

cwiggy78 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi John,

Im still experiencing this whenever i change to Manual mode. Seems to work fine on all other modes. For me just shuts down with zero windows warnings.

At the moment i'm stuck using fc2 with ec automatic.

(P870 dm3-g, single graphics card, 7700k cpu upgrade. Prema bios. No CCC installed. Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. Temps only reaching around 73 degrees C for both CPU and Gfx card on average.)

Problem was only introduced since moving from fc 1.2.6 to any version of fc2

Kind regards

Chris (UK)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

6. Fromont

Fromont Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok I have a thing.

So a while ago, I noticed that I have a current limit throttle problem. Like a real one. I dont have Prema Bios, so Current throttle is pretty normal during say an XTU bench or similar. During gaming or opening say ten tabs in Chrome, while the temps will go up, I usually dont current throttle.
    Lately however, after I turn my laptop on, it will run fine at the frequency Ive set (5.0Ghz, with an undervolt of -125 say), but then after a while, and particularly after I run an XTU bench, it will current throttle just at idle, and it will drop right down to 3.8 ish pretty much continuously.

Initially I thought there was something wrong. I uninstalled XTU, and used throttle stop, still got the current throttle. I messed around with various settings, mostly backing down my OC. I reset BIOS and ran it at stock, but it still current throttled. I checked the Mobo, and then I stopped using FC 2, and now it doesnt current throttle. It runs flipping hot, coz Im on stock fan curves, but it wont current throttle.
    If I turn FC on, it current throttles. If I turn it off, it current throttles. If I restart and dont turn it on, it doesnt current throttle.

This is on a P870TM with a 8086K. Stock Bios, no delid.

Thoughts? Im not quite done testing, but this is where Im at...

7. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Current throttle at Idle? How are you checking that? By looking where?
    None of our systems shutdown and none of our systems add current throttle.
    I am not saying it´s impossible for FC to be doing those crazy things, well it makes no sense, but for some reason requesting and sending data to the EC might have some side effects... but indeed i´m not able to reproduce it in a single unit...
    I can clearly see that if i flood the EC with data then it get´s hard for the EC to reply to requests, sometimes it even replies with strange values, i did see that by debugging the returns.
    But then again, unless there´s any software running like CCC that get´s values from the EC and does something with it, there should be no consequence.
    The only way i can cause weirdness like that is by running FC and then also flood the WMI queires for ACPI-EC data.
    I´m, not aware of anything else in the system doing that. And i doubt it compromises any BIOS-EC operations, because if it did i would be able to reproduce it in at least one unit.
    So my question is what changes from my systems to yours? Maybe a need for an updated BIOS/EC ? Maybe one of the changes we make in our BIOS? Only thing i can remember is we disable platform power limits... not sure maybe those are being triggered by your system?
    Could it be a case where BIOS is unable to get a proper reading from the EC and applies throttle? Maybe the shutdown is because the BIOS is getting some stupid high temperature value from the EC? Just me guessing based on my own debugs.

I need to investigate these questions, but it would help a lot if i could reproduce anything... i will try with a stock BIOS for starters.

I would hate to have to go back to ACPI methods... it plains sucks.

And my relation with CLEVO is going sour... to say the least.

Control Station and KBLED are free, we develop it and we give it out without the need to purchasing a license. As a hardware developer CLEVO should be all happy about helping developers, it´s good for them since we create solutions for other resellers and for users who are unhappy and could potential not buy a CLEVO again. Heck it brings value to a product, the bigger the community there is and the bigger eco-system there is (clients/developers/other companies creating stuff/etc).

Updater / Control Station / KBLED are hassle free, while FC made us go in a more "hack" direction.
    But can you imagine those clients who are getting Updater out of the box when they purchase a laptop? Drivers / BIOS / EC updates with one click? All easy, frequently updated and tested. We got more then 800 active users at the moment, so there is no doubt people find the software useful in some way.
    Control Station and KBLED both got so much potential for growth (if i just did not have to waste all my time with FanControl and EC hack). This makes a HUGE difference in the product you are selling.

The other day i was about to sign a reseller who just wanted to offer Updater + Control Station and KBLED, which was pretty good of a deal for them/us/clients. The only thing missing in Control Station was/is the fact that brightness controls do not work on MSHYBRID mode. So i emailed CLEVO to try to sort that out once and for all.

Well our business model kinda shifted and while we once bought hundreds of CLEVO barebones directly from CLEVO, in the past year we bought less and less and in the last months we bought none... why? We do not need to, we have such a good relation with other EU resellers that we been buying from them, all good, we still ONLY sell CLEVO right? And all good, we assist our friends with tech stuff, website stuff, BIOS doubts, software solutions, all to make them have better products, more happy clients, etc, all good right?

Well... not according to CLEVO as the reply to my email about the brightness was:

"You did not order directly from CLEVO, so we won’t support any technial issue."

This is not the first time i get this from them, and it goes away if i just place an order. But as we start doing more work for other resellers, and as we grow more in the software department we might even stop selling chassis one day and just do software or just do services for other resellers, i would not mind that at all. But well... communication and any kind of help from CLEVO is not easy... Imagine what i could do if they would just open up a communication channel with their R&D....

Doing this stuff is not easy, it could be, but it´s not. Their software will never be good, why? They have poor communication with the clients, they keep known bugs around for YEARS, and they impose what they think is best to Brands. Brands should be able to have more power over the products, but any request you make is either "We do it if you order X amount of units" or it just get´s ignored.
    The clear path should be learning how to provide brands with proper tools, share software source code or create drivers/dlls/watever with documented APIs for brands with coders in the team.

This kinda makes me think i´m just wasting my time doing this... if i was developing hardware products and there was companies out there developing software to make my products sell more and to make my clients even more happy i would be so thankful for that and i would help them in any way i could. Not **** on them like i just got.

So guys, please report everything and try to help me out reproduce any problem by stating if you have CCC installed, laptop model and exact steps to reproduce. Sorry for the time it takes to sort some of the stuff, it´s really not easy when i cant even reproduce it! It could be... but it´s not...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  8. Fromont

Fromont Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I feel like my issue with FC is actually related to a bigger issue with my P870TM.
    Very late last night I THINK it did it again on an old version of FC. it throttled anyway.
    I am too busy to do more stuff today but perhaps I should DM you with what I’ve got?
    I’ve been monitoring through XTU but I can also reproduce the issue using throttlestop.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  9. turn00

turn00 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Uh oh......

10. boober

boober Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Adding here that I also just experienced a no-warning hard shutdown. I booted immediately and chip temps were well within reason. I hadn't touched FC at all, I was in Chrome typing when this happened.