CLEVO Drivers Update Utility by OBSIDIAN-PC

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Spartan, Feb 13, 2017.

1. cwiggy78

cwiggy78 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I second that. I find it quite refreshing the amount of interaction u have with us. Keep up the great work John

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. edit

edit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I noticed some issue(s) with the PC Fan Control App on my P870DM :

- If set the GPU fan speed below 92 the fans don't spin at all but the "Current Fan Duties" show that the fans is at 29%-35%

- If the CPU fan speed is set below 103 the fan don't spin at all but the "Current Fan Duties" show that the fan is at 29%-35%

I noticed this because the temps kept on raising even and the fans kicked when the temp was pretty high 60C

Besides the fact that I don't personally like the 0-255 system but probably was implemented because it was needed a more granular approach to setting up the fan speed I am worried when fans don't spin and the app is telling me that they do.

In the ver 1 of the app at the 1% fan speed the fans were running.

Overall it's not a huge deal I can set things to make them work right, but then again I am a techie, I like to fiddle with hardware, settings, software... Other people might encounter difficulties if they rely on the "current fan duties" indicator....

I'll test the behavior on the P870TM and I'll be back with comments

3. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It´s actually easy to understand.
    Imagine the 0 - 255 like a rotary switch (a Potentiometer).
    That´s the input the EC uses, simple 0 to 255 resolution.
    Now remember fans use voltage to run, so 0 to 255 regulates the amount of voltage it goes to the fan.
    While some fans (smaller usually) will react to the smallest voltage, others will not.

If i make it in a percentage scale (0% to 100%) you loose resolution, and on systems like N141 with it´s very sensible and small fan, 1% interval might not cut it to get you that fine tuning you want. So by using 0 to 255 you get the full scale and the full control, no matter what system or fans you use.

TheChosen0ne and edit like this.
  4. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not only this, but I suspect some models the fans aren't 12v/15v, but 5V. So even translating the 0 to 255 to a voltage number would be confusing.
    Believe me, it's better to have a 0 to 255 knob so you can really fine tune the fans :)

TheChosen0ne likes this.
  5. -BaTaB-

-BaTaB- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @John@OBSIDIAN-PC

last 2-3 updates of fan control carried the "critical service is not responding" error. After click yes everything seemed to be ok but earlier updates never triggered this error.

6. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    In the last update i improved that so hopefully it´s another fix :D

TheChosen0ne likes this.
  7. -BaTaB-

Reputations:
    But I just updated and it still popped out the error.

8. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    Yeah, the first time you update it will show up.
    But then, if you restart your laptop or close fan control and open it again it should not show that message again.

EDIT: OH maybe what you mean is that EVERYTIME you update FanControl / KBLED or Control Station it ALWAYS shows that message right?
    That´s by design, because the updater is also updating the background Service that is running to talk with the EC.
    The only way to minimize that is using the independent apps installer like reported before.

TheChosen0ne likes this.
  9. -BaTaB-

Reputations:
    Ah yeah, this is what I meant.

Also I never had the "service not responding" error in different occasions, always and only when updating.

10. turn00

turn00 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Have you had a chance to look into the issue with the LED where it is not turning off all the way with the auto dim feature? It dims, but never goes completely out. And it mostly is on the right side of the keyboard. Does no one else have this problem?