CLEVO Drivers Update Utility by OBSIDIAN-PC

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Spartan, Feb 13, 2017.

1. djsubtronic

djsubtronic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I tried Fan Control 2 again and noticing the temperatures still don't line up with OHM / ThrottleStop. The temp reported in the new fan control are wildly off any of the cores or package, for example the actual temperature is say 86, fan control still shows 73. Not sure how this affects the fan speed as it will be applying lower speeds for 73 C while the actual temperature is in exceess of 85. Eventually, after about a minute or so, fan control's temp will catch up to whatever the other applications show, but still seem lower overall.

2. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Fan Speed immediately go to 100% speed according to the "Security Values", are you sure those arent too low?
    For smooth behaviour you want to go to the "Behavior tab" and set the ramping steps to 1 and set the refresh rate to around 400ms.
    Please notice FanControl 2.0 is beta at this moment, if anything goes wrong go back to previous version from the full Laptop Tools package.
    Even today i killed at least 3 bugs in the code...
    Also be sure not to use CC or FanControl 1 at the same time you use FanControl 2

The reported temperatures are the ones the EC uses for automatic fan control. They are fetched directly from the EC.
    I can see how there might be some lag reporting them and it should go down in the final version when the Monitor app gets converted in a high priority service. Still from my testing the lag is max 500ms...
    What you might be experiencing is something else, and that´s the displayed UI values might not be the actual values the app is using.
    There is a Highest priority thread ONLY for reading and setting values, while the UI is run in a separate normal priority thread. So when you load the system with something like a Benchmark (one of those who put the system at 100% with high priority threads) the Fan Control and Monitor UI threads might get pushed back and not update, this does not mean that the worker thread are not updating correctly.

Fan Control uses 2 threads.
    1) UI - Normal Priority
    2) Engine - Emit values and get values from Monitor - Normal Priority

Monitor uses 3 threads:
    1) UI - Normal Priority
    2) EC talking (getting values and pushing values) - Highest priority
    3) NVIDIA fetch values - Highest Priority

So while your UI might look like it´s not updating, the current fan table is loaded to memory and the EC Talking Monitor Thread is working.

TheChosen0ne and djsubtronic like this.
  3. edit

edit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello John,

Can you please implement the option to turn off the lid leds on the P870TM-G/P870DM-G....
    I know that you are busy but I am waiting for so long for this feature and it still did not show up... and all I want is to turn them off... nothing more.

Thank you !

HawkInOz likes this.
  4. Matt111

Matt111 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I'm not sure which version of fancontrol i'm using, I just downloaded the fullinstall (so I think it's v1), I also uninstalled the clevo software before that.

I'll do a screenshot with my settings when I have access to the laptop but like I said I can put the slider anywhere between 250 and 500ms it doesn't seem to have any effect and so the fan ramp up or down immediatly... the way I understand how it's supposed to work is when it reaches the temperature to trigger the next level (up or down), it does it only if it stays = or > it for xxx ms, right ?

5. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    Nope, that's not how it works.
    I will make a video for each app explaining how it works.

Refresh rate is like a clock.
    For each tick it compares current temp to previous temp.
    If temp is now in a new range it will apply that range duty value according to the ramping.

If ramping step is 1 for each tick it will increase the fan duty up or down by 1 value each.

Values for duty are from 0 to 255 (sliders).

Sent from my MI Note 2 using Tapatalk

6. Matt111

Matt111 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    now I'm confused but it's alright, I will just apply an automatic mode, set the ramping steps to 1 and set the refresh rate to around 400ms like you suggested for now, it's already much better than the default behavior

thank you

7. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When you can check your PM my friend

8. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    Updater was updated to 2.2.0
    --------------------------------------------

What´s new:

- Multi-user capable! Please review your settings!
    - No longer uses admin access by default, it will prompt when needed or allow you to open drivers folder
    - Improved BIOS flash to single step flash
    - Drivers are now downloaded to User Documents / Laptop Tools folder

TheChosen0ne and jaybee83 like this.
  9. Lightning_-

Lightning_- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the p770dm. So the p751dm on the drop down menu should work for me right?

10. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    Please select P775DM.
    If you haven't let me know and I'll change your license.

Sent from my MI Note 2 using Tapatalk