CLEVO Drivers Update Utility by OBSIDIAN-PC

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ultra Male, Feb 13, 2017.

1. joaomconde

joaomconde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also, John, whenever i restart my computer the LED brightness level is maximum although i set the bar to a bit under half.

Im guessing this is a bug from the software

2. Toranos

Toranos Newbie

Reputations:
    A few points/observations from me:

my laptop is used by the family as well who each have their own (non-admin) user account. I found that the "start app with windows" creates a Task in the scheduler which is trying to launch the app (CC, Fan Control and KeyboardLED) once a user is logged on.
    However, all these apps are restricted to be run with ADMIN rights which means that these actually do not start at all.
    My work around is two-fold:
    1) change the task scheduler settings such to execute the app as a specific user account which has admin rights with the option to do that "wether the user is logged on or not"
    2) changed the trigger to launch the apps "at system start", ie these get launched when waiting for user to enter the credentials

now i still have the issue that the app do not actually show up in the task bar for non-admin users.

i know its a trade-off, but i would prefer if the need for ADMIN rights is removed from these apps.
    across control centre, KeyboardLED and FanControl there are use-cases which really should not limit them to require admin rights:
    - change a keyboard color (by the way having user account based color profiles would be nice to see in a future feature update)
    - change fan profiles
    - chnage power profiles

some features would benefit from ADMIN rights so there is less danger of damaging anything if an untrained user tinkers with the settings....

regards

3. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is a good reason to actually make the working features into a system service that always runs in the background with admin privileges in early boot, then have a user interface that any user can run that communicates with the service.
    It's also nice as the features can work such as fan control and lighting without having any programs running in the tray, and saves a little bit of memory as the UI doesn't need to be in RAM. You could switch user accounts without affecting fan control or lighting at all, as the service would continue running and each user could theoretically run the UI at the same time and all be communicating with the same service.
    A very simple way of communicating could be to store the ini in a directory such as C:\Users\Public\OBSIDIAN\ and use the Win32 API FindFirstChangeNotification to monitor the ini for changes using a thread in the service.
    This would be the best method, as you can modify access permissions per-user for the OBSIDIAN folder through the Security tab.
    Alternatively, you could store current settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE along with a list of users allowed to change settings, and the service can monitor HKEY_USERS of each allowed user for new settings. This method would allow you to tailor allowable settings to change for each user.
    Another method is to only use an admin access settings file but change options over a TCP socket which also adds the advantage of being able to create access credentials, allowing you to control the settings from another PC over LAN or via internet. You'd probably want to implement TLS for that, though.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  4. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    ^ the changes and abilities it has goes beyond what non-admins can use, so it needs admin privileges. It's not possible to make it be non-admin, and if it's a windows service that's a whole other can of worms you're opening there.

And even then, non-admin users still cannot make changes that require administrator approval. The unit would be mostly a shell, if i am understanding it correctly.

5. Toranos

Toranos Newbie

Reputations:

I hear what you are saying...but how do i explain to my 8year old that she cannot change the RGB lights of the keyboard...

also, MSI Afterburner is not admin protected and one can screw ones GPU if incorrectly used...

6. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    You can't destroy a GPU with afterburner. Can crash the GPU driver probably but that's about it. It also runs with UAC privileges for me?
    Sent from my OnePlus 1 using a coconut

7. RogSmitty

RogSmitty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone else getting periodic hangs when using throttlestop's built-in bench? I thought I had it narrowed to the fan control, but wondering if anyone else has this issue? It happens regardless if I'm using coretemp or the internal system monitoring. It's a bit concerning, because the benchmark is still running during the freeze and the CPU temp is rising without any corresponding rise in fan RPM.

8. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    ´

We already use shared memory and TCP sockets for app communication (apps already talk with one another, ex: Control Station, Fan Control and even Keyboard LED).
    The next step in the Fan Control is actually having a service which will interface with the EC and the UI will only communicate with the service.
    Not sure when that will happen.

I need more time for this, unfortunatly i´m the only active developer at the moment.

Benchmarks with such thread priority should not exist, when a benchmark get´s top priority, even over driver actions and high priority threads that talk to ACPI then you have a problem, and that is not a problem with just Fan Control.
    Please until the next big fan control update to do those benchs... we will greatly improve it.

RogSmitty likes this.
  9. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hello
    Are you sure it´s not the Control Station power modes replacing whatever value you set in Keyboard LED? Or are you not using the Control Station Power modes?

10. joaomconde

joaomconde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    im not using them. i activated, to test them, then de-activated, and the system didnt roll back to the deactivated state, i had to do it by myself, but the leds reset to max brightness everytime i wake up the computer, or turn it on (with power modes UNticked). I explained the best i could, hope i made myself clear