CLEVO Drivers Update Utility by OBSIDIAN-PC

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ultra Male, Feb 13, 2017.

1. mhp32

mhp32 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello John, is there a difference between the control station updater and the Obsidian tools? I got a license for the Obsidian tools for the laptop driver update.
    Is the Obsidian tools will still be updated?
    The new control station has 2 paid options: Updater and Fan control, is the Keyboard Free?
    Thanks always for your development.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 4:41 PM
  2. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The OBSIDIANTOOLS License (paid version) can be used to activate Updater.
    Just copy the license file to C:\Program Files\LaptopTools\

Both Control Station and KeyboardLED are free! No license needed!

Sent from my MI Note 2 using Tapatalk

3. Boseph McGee

Boseph McGee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I found a funny little quirk regarding how the various modules interact with Windows 10. I noticed that Fan Control wasn't starting up automatically when I checked the 'start app with Windows' box, so I did it via Task Scheduler instead. Well, upon restart I noticed that it started a completely new instance of Fan Control that was unregistered and didn't have my previously-saved fan curves. The UI was also missing the minimize and close buttons in the top right corner. But if I were to exit that instance and restart the module, it would then go back to the previous instance with all my saved variables and registration. The same was true for Updater. They're not starting from different locations either - both the Task Scheduler and the shortcut I use are addressed to the exact same .exe in the LaptopTools folder. I tried the Task Scheduler instance of KeyboardLED in hopes that that would magically make it work on my system, but sadly, it was as dead as it always has been on my system.

4. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    If you are manually creating the tasks then you are doing it wrong.

Have you installed the software with the setup file?

Add the apps to startup by using the options in the app.

We have this running in at least 300 laptops, everything been solid. Something is up with your install.

When icons do not show, like the close button it's like the app is being run from a different directory. So something is off with your install.

5. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For the last several updates the free beta version of Fan Control is showing 'disabled until the next update'. Is this correct or is there something wrong at my end? I must admit I am not following this thread religiously nor updating very frequently.

EDIT - my bad - now downloading LaptopToolsSetup.exe Will revert if issue persists.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 3:01 AM
  6. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    The Fan Control beta is closed at the moment, only works for users with purchased license.
    We will open beta testing when the next big update is ready.

7. Boseph McGee

Boseph McGee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Because things weren't taking properly, and Keyboard LED never worked, I removed the whole 'LaptopTools' folder and reinstalled using the installer that your signature links to. That didn't change anything, and that's when I went the Task Scheduler route and the anomaly described above started. So I don't know if there are files anywhere else that have carried over between my various attempts. I'm under the impression that things are all self-contained in the LaptopTools folder. No shortcuts or startup routines have ever linked to any other path other than C:\Program Files\LaptopTools\ as far as I have been able to tell.

8. edit

edit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dear John,

I have the latest KeyboardLED installed, v 0.1.2 and when my computer boots up the keyboard areas are flickering fast for a second before settling to all white (all 3 zones) and 30% brightness... that flickering is really annoying.
    Can you please do something about it because it wasn't always there.

Thank you !

9. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    I can and I will... I thought it looked groovy so I left that.
    What's expected for future release is actually allowing you to define a boot up animation ;)

10. edit

edit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dear John
    I am sorry man I did not think it was intentional.
    I am one of those guys that are too old for flickering keyboard lights, I like simple things... so all white and no animations for me :p
    Thank you !