CLEVO Drivers Update Utility by OBSIDIAN-PC

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Phoenix, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
  2. Netherscourge

Netherscourge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Download and run those benchmarks:)

4. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The utility will allow you to use all these tabs:

- Drivers Update
    - Drivers - Others - Including SynTP Fix
    - CPU Tab with options for using TS in a more "simple" way
    - Widgets Tab

The only thing that is exclusive to OBSIDIAN-PC laptops is the BIOS tab.

"I want to get it updated for the Meltdown/Spectre stuff" - Officially there is still no CLEVO updates, at least not for SPECTRE, that´s why we made our own.... was kinda tired of waiting...

5. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    Unfortunately i did not have time to do intensive testing. It´s just toooooo mmmuuucccchhhh work updating all BIOS :(

What im trying to do is setup the default CPU values for limits/clocks/times/voltage to boost a bit more performance, we have thermal room for that, just hoping this minor tweaks will make up for any performance loss the patch introduces.
    Although in the end we do ship each unit a TS profile and our APP, with everything done exclusively for that unit to achieve better performance/thermals, but as always, some clients just format the units and delete the contents of the USB pen... deleting 1h+ of hard work, so if the defaults are good at least they get that.

jaybee83, steberg and FTW_260 like this.
  6. Netherscourge

Netherscourge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK.

It's done.

I ran the InSpecter tool and it says I'm protected from both and my Performance is still fine.

I didn't benchmark anything but I played a few hours of World of Warcraft and some SW: Battlefront and there was no performance impact that I was aware of. So, works fine on my end. I'm usually locked in at 75FPS for G-sync anyway and it never budged off that framerate. Thanks again for your help!

OK, thanks. Driver updates are still good to have. Mine are still from 2015/2016. My Touchpad has been a bit flakey and WIndows Update actually pushed a new update for it on their end which I installed; however, it's a barebones driver - doesn't let me scroll using the side of the pad, nor does it have any auto-disable options when you plug in a USB mouse. So, I'll go grab that new one from the app.

Also, I contacted Prostar last night about a BIOS update for my Clevo, waiting for a reply. I hope they get back to me. This laptop is barely 2 years old. It should be getting regular updates from Clevo themselves, at the very least.

Thanks again.

7. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Many thanks for this terrific utility. I was looking for something like this even before I had bought my laptop.

Just one change / notice that I think should be in the first post: While it might be true that the app itself doesn't ask for admin privileges, the license file doesn't 'take' unless you run it as admin. It will keep telling you that you need to purchase a license. (I'm currently on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1709 Fall Creators' Update).

EDIT: Also, please add more models/variants in the drop down list. The app works fine; it is just that the model is not listed. I have a Eurocom Q5 (P957HR) but I had to choose P950HP6.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  8. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

Reputations:
    Never had that Admin thing happening here.
    By default the app requires Admin privileges, even the app icon will have the admin prompt mini-icon on top of it. The only time i seen weird admin problems with the app was with anti-virus software doing crap.
    Actually... 99% of the app problems are related with anti-virus, just like everything else, driver problems, driver install errors, driver uninstall errors, all problems are usually related to anti-virus does not matter if you install them using the app or not.

About adding more models, i cant add models which i do not sell, i need to do minimal testing to make sure drivers work fine.

anytimer likes this.
  9. FTW_260

FTW_260 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually, I think it was an internet connectivity thing. Perhaps the license not found message is the default if it can't connect to the server.