CLEVO Drivers Update Utility by OBSIDIAN-PC

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Phoenix, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The OBSIDIAN-TOOLS software allows you to keep your laptop updated with little effort.

Download OBSIDIAN Tool Drivers Update Utility

[​IMG]

Functions of the app:

It will check the drivers installed in your system and compare them to the ones in the OBSIDIAN-PC server.
    The app will generate a list of all running .sys and then use that information to check the drivers version. This way it will make a proper detection.
    When using the .sys version the driver version might be different then the one you are used to read, sometimes drivers are referred using the package number and not actual driver version. For instance, the NVIDIA package 378.49 contains the driver 21.21.13.7849 (nvlddmkm.sys). This should make no difference to you ;)

Some drivers do not have running services or actual .sys drivers, so to detect those the app will look at the Windows Registry and in other cases it will look for the driver install dir and check the .inf file.

When the app detects a new version it will enable the "update" button for that driver, you just click and the app downloads it, unpacks it and starts the install process.

Some drivers require two steps to update properly, it´s the case of Control Center. The app knows this, and will trigger a uninstall, ask you to reboot and then instead of "update" it will show you a "resume" option. In the future more drivers might have this two step install.

If you found a driver update please report it here so john can update it in the server side.

One Click Install:
    One Click Install was designed for those who just installed windows and want a fast unattended way of setting up the unit.
    It will download a complete set of drivers and trigger a install script to install them all in a go.
    Please not that the One Click Install package might not be as updated as the individual packages. One Click package is generated once a week by a cron task in the server.
    Also, One Click does not include Wireless drivers.

Current Settings:
    -App lives in the windows system tray
    -You can toggle - Start with Windows
    -You can toggle - Notify Updates - Uses windows system notifications to notify you of driver updates
    -You can select a timer for automatically check for updates
    -Keep a local copy of the drivers installer - If selected "yes" it will keep a copy of the latest driver version in the folder "drivers" inside the app dir, if selected "no" it will delete the installer after installing the driver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stuff you should know:
    The app does not store any information (garbage) in your Windows Registry
    The app never asks for administrator privileges (what might ask you for that is the drivers installers).
    You can move the app folder anywhere you want, the only feature that might break is the "Start with Windows" option - if you move folder, just deselect that option and re-select it, voila, done, new startup shortcut created.
    When a new app version comes out you will be able to update it by going to the "about" tab, it will trigger it´s own auto-updater.
    The app includes dpi awareness instructions so it can scale up when you have high resolution screens or use the Windows Visualization Scaling Options

Modded Control Center
    When you install control center using this app you are actually using a modified control center that will not install the XTU service hence disabling the CPU_RAM_OC software. If you want to tune up your laptop just use ThrottleStop like all the cool kids are doing.

Version Mismatch from CLEVO Website

So you went to the CLEVO website and noticed they have a more recent driver version, ignore that, most of the times the version number is not correct at CLEVO website. If you want to test it just download it from the CLEVO website, install it and re-run the app to check which "installed version" does it detect. If the app detects that you are running a more recent version then the one in OBSIDIAN server it will change the button to "Ahead". When you install a driver that will show you "Ahead" you should reply in this thread and notify John about that.

Recent might not be the best
    Some drivers have specific settings/changes for specific models, so sometimes updating it without using the app will get you in trouble. In the past the Audio driver was one of those, you could install a recent version that you downloaded somewhere but then it would break Sound Blaster software or a speaker like the subwoofer would stop working.
    Same goes for Control Center, each model does have a specific version for a reason.
    Using the app will keep you in the safe about all this.

Other Features for future Release:
    -Performance Tuning, a work possible with the use of the ThrottleStop app, a collaboration with TS Developer.
    -BIOS Updates - We are still deciding if we will allow EC/BIOS flash under windows, as Anti-Virus software might brick the process / laptop, another option is just make the app notify you of bios updates and setup a USB pen for you.
    -Will be adding more useful software to the tab "others" like Directx and MS Runtime Frameworks, both needed by some games or applications or even drivers.

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    @John@OBSIDIAN-PC keep up the good stuff! The U.S. could use more resellers like you guys!

Rynaus likes this.
  3. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Thanks!
    And thanks for the amazing post @Phoenix

Grizzly13ear, izombot, infex and 7 others like this.
  4. tayu

tayu Newbie

Reputations:
    Looks great, is it useful for all clevo laptops? Or only for ones from specific resselers?

Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

5. Adbear

Adbear Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It works with any Clevo laptop that's in the supported list

6. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    If this has a touchpad driver I'll be amazed =o

This kind of utility is AMAZING though. I've always wanted something like this!

Edit: Aww W10 only. I cri.

Phoenix likes this.
  7. EKcore

EKcore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OMG I just googled this after trying to download the new control center from clevo 5 times always stalled

THANKS!!!!!

Phoenix likes this.
  8. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think it will run in W7. But will only download W10 drivers, that will probably work with W7. But I think you would be better served with W10 :p

9. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It´s already hard enough to keep it updated for Windows 10 only, if i add another operating system i will probably go crazy!
    But i think 90% of the drivers should also work with windows 7.

Phoenix likes this.
  10. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I actually wanted for Windows 8.1, not 7. I like 8.1/10 improvements over 7. I dislike 10's tendency to reset things and have its own way, as well as the plethora of bugs and things that break on update (and the OS needs to update).

8.1 is my desire. As far as I can tell, you tune it with Start 8 and maybe a couple other optimizations and it's better for multitasking usage than 7, has more control than 10, and games as well as both of them.