Clevo BIOS Thread

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Blacky, Sep 11, 2009.

1. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Soldering/ desoldering on a modern mobo is a skilled job needing special tools (hot air soldering station). Even if you decide to do the programming yourself, strongly urge you to get the chip desoldered and the socket soldered in its place by someone who knows what he's doing. Great suggestion by @Blacky about the socket.

2. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Because based on the post above yours, maybe you don't have a corrupt EC if LEDs work.
    When you turn on the machine, does it respond to the max fan setting via FN + 1?

Were you updating just the EC or did you update the bios at the same time?

Perhaps you should have performed the bios upgrade prior to the EC firmware, this leads to my next thoughts.
    Even if you think the EC is corrupt, I would first try checking the bios chip as it is easier to work with.

I would dump the bios contents and compare that with HxD to a known good rom. Then try flashing the known good rom (perhaps the updated rom which might work well with whatever EC version you have now flashed).

That would be something you could do yourself for not much money (guides on win-raid forums), before going through the EC recovery steps.

You mentioned EC recovery via the keyboard connector , discussion of EC recovery via keyboard connector is here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/bricked-clevo-n150rd-after-ec-update.825156/

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  3. juandecerro

juandecerro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    the laptop has the same "symptoms" than the user in the post that you mentioned. Only the LEDS goes on, fans are dead as the screen. No reaction of nothing.

As I read in some posts, that suggets First the EC and later the BIOS", I started updating the EC, the software accepted the new ROM without any warnings or errors, said that gonna restart and that is all. Never start again, just the leds stay on. So, in my opinion, the BIOS chip, should be fine. I am gonna call to the store, no news until now.

4. juandecerro

Reputations:
    my idea is program trought the keyboard bus (without desold the chip). Last thing, gonna ask to this guy https://www.ebay.com/itm/163618652855?ul_noapp=true to program the EC chip with the correct ROM. I think will be easier to find someone to desold and sold the new chip than reprogrammar it.

5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sounds like a good plan.

6. juandecerro

Reputations:
    Well, well, well, first of all, I want to thank each one of you for having been sharing your knowledge in a disinterested way, not only to those who answered my post, but also to those users who years ago no longer connect but who still have their posts in this forum.
    I am writing to you from my Clevo P950ER laptop, finally, it was able to revive and I want to tell you about the whole process.
    In the store, they connected the programmer through the keyboard bus, it detected the chip, but it could not even be read, an error came out in block 1. It was tried several times until we gave up.
    They told me that they would take out the ITE chip, put a new one in it and try to program it again through the keyboard bus.
    Until one last time we tried, without doing anything different and surprise! It could be read and then written with a new EC.
    Then we restart the Laptop and you know how the story ends.

longshorthistory:
    1. We reprogrammed the ITE chip with a new and correct ROM.
    2. Cost me lest than a new mobo.
    3. Thanks!
    Thanks again! I hope that my experiences also serve others.

t456, anytimer and Blacky like this.
  7. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This process is also valid for all other Clevos, even the ones with 2 ECs where the main one needs to be flashed with this type of hardware flasher (vertianov).

8. kb1213

kb1213 Newbie

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  9. kb1213

kb1213 Newbie

Reputations:
    2mb chip - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qysrl53AK931z6ga-SUepRCy-YEnzgmI/view?usp=sharing
    4mb chip - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fE0Jzdn307n04az9Z3URz1D38jDuCDIs/view?usp=sharing

Would I need to get someone to replace the ITE chip to fix the issue?

10. juandecerro

Reputations:
    if you already did it. You need to reprogramm the chip, cuz it is corrupted, in my opinion.