Clevo BIOS Thread

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Blacky, Sep 11, 2009.

1. W.D. Stevens

W.D. Stevens Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I've recently got myself an NH70RCQ in a sale and I'm liking it for the most part. There are just a few things I'd like to change that every mention online I can see how to do it says go into the BIOS and change the setting there. I have and the settings given to me seem very limited. I'm wondering whether the firmware that came with mine is not the standard Clevo one (it's an Insyder H2O 1.07.11TMB1 if that means anything). Would there be anything to be gained by trying to swap out for the stock one or just a way to open up some more settings?

Cheers!

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The best thing is to stick the BIOS provided by your reseller and ask your reseller for future updates. Once the warranty is out or if you can no longer contact your reseller, you may want to switch the stock one. Generally speaking, there shouldn't be any major differences between your resellers BIOS and the stock one from Clevo.

3. W.D. Stevens

W.D. Stevens Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, I figured that would be the case. And, I suppose, in situations like this where I don't really know what I'm doing, best to stay away. It's just a shame to see things so limited in that respect. Though I've not been able to see any images of a BIOS that looks like mine which makes me kind of suspect I'm not actually in the BIOS. I'll take a picture a little later but I'm not actually at my laptop at the moment funnily enough. But for now, instead of the sort of text-only blue and grey thing I was expecting, on pressing F2 while starting up, it's a dark grey screen with version numbers on the top left and the H2O logo on the right. Below that, it has 5 options displayed as picture bubbles with text underneath. Four of them are various boot options that I can't specifically recall right now and one says advanced settings which doesn't really have anything in there I need.

Is this perhaps something completely different?

4. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hello there,

A while back, I had the BIOS on my EVOC P775TM1-R upgraded (over a remote session) by HIDEvolution.
    The current BIOS version is 1.07.EVOC2.
    With the same overclocking settings as I had before, I run into several issues:

(a). Windows 10 BSODs with the bug check string "INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR" every time the CPU+GPU are under load. This is typical in games such as Battlefield 1, Battlefield V and any video encoding workload (such as Staxrip).
    (b). AIDA64's stability test module fails with the infamous "Hardware Failure Detected" state after running for about one minute, no matter the combination of stability test suites selected/checked.

What I've tried to do in troubleshooting this issue:

(a). Resetting the BIOS to defaults. This does not alleviate the issue, it still persists.
    (b). Using a different CPU undervolt offset in the BIOS. All values I test with, from 0 to 130mV show the same result, regardless of the multipliers set in the OC menu.
    In my case, I use stock clocks apart from the last three multipliers which are set to 45x, at an undervolt of 130mV.
    I also use the XMP profile 1 for the RAM in use ( Kingston HyperX KHX2666C15S4/16G), set at DDR4-2666 (1333 MHz).

What gives? Is a roll back to an older BIOS version possible @Prema @Zoltan@HIDevolution @Donald@HIDevolution ?

5. Dennismungai

Reputations:
    An update:

I disabled XMP and now RAM is running at 2400MHz. The stability issues went away.
    I narrowed down the instability to both the Cache and memory stress tests, then disabled XMP in the BIOS and re-tested again.
    it seems the XMP profile on the Kingston HyperX KHX2666C15S4 does not feed the correct voltage(s) to the SODIMMs.
    Now to figure out how to tune this RAM for performance identical to, or better than, the XMP profile without BSODs. FML.

6. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just a FYI: I have this RAM:
    Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 32GB 2933MHz DDR4 CL17 SODIMM (Kit of 2) Memory HX429S17IBK2/32
    And I don't have any stability issues in testing with XMP profile enabled.

joluke likes this.
  7. Dennismungai

Reputations:
    My issues began after the BIOS update.

What BIOS version are you running? Do.you have the same machine?

8. Dennismungai

Reputations:
    After a session with the excellent @Prema it seems I won't be able to use XMP on this P775TM1-R with my memory kit.
    Back to 2400MHz I guess :-(

9. Dennismungai

Reputations:
    So I swapped out the kit I had in the P775TM1-R with another kit from the older P751DM2-G, and
    used the settings from the XMP profiles, changing tWTR value from 0 to 7 and set the voltage to 1.35v (from 1.20v).

The memory kit I swapped to is the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2666 MHz DDR4.

The multiplier was also changed from 9 to 10.

And now I have a stable custom profile running at 2667MHz, 1.35v on the stock BIOS.
    I may retest the same settings with the Prema BIOS mod later on down the line.

I'll keep using the stock BIOS for a while to test for stability. If any issues crop up I'll post them here.

Papusan and joluke like this.
  10. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    I have a different machine. PA70HS-G 1.05.05 BIOS