Clevo BIOS Thread

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Blacky, Sep 11, 2009.

1. matyee

matyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, but I might have found the problem! Hold on for a day, I hope I can fix it! If I cannot manage, I will write to you! Thx for your help in advance, this community is awesome :)

2. un1tyNL

un1tyNL Newbie

Reputations:
    To perform a Bios / EC firmware update on the P7xx-TM(x)(-G) (and similar laptops) perform the following steps:
    1. Acquire a USB drive and format this drive to FAT or FAT32. Keep in mind that the files on the drive will be removed, so back these up first! A larger USB drive (64GB and larger might not work because these cannot be formatted to either FAT or FAT32 due to their size constraints).
    2. Download the Shell_Full.efi file from github https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/blob/master/EdkShellBinPkg/FullShell/X64/Shell_Full.efi .
    3. Rename the Shell_Full.efi file to shellx64.efi and place this in the root of the formatted USB drive (e.g. D:/ ).
    4. Create two folders in the root of the USB drive, BIOS and EC.
    5. Download the BIOS .zip file and extract it's contents into the BIOS folder you've just created.
    6. Download the EC .zip file and extract it's contents into the EC folder you've just created.
    The BIOS and EC files can be acquired by the link provided by FTW_260 (http://forum.notebookreview.com/members/ftw_260.688178/).
    Your USB drive is now ready to be used for the following steps.
    1. Boot the system into the BIOS by repeatedly pressing F2 at boot. Alternatively it's possible to go to the bios in Windows (10) by performing the following command in command prompt with elevated privileges: "shutdown.exe /r /o" (without the quotes). This might be required for systems that use fastboot and have a high chance of not picking up the 'F2' key-press.
    2. Go to the last tab (where you can choose to exit and save the bios etc...) in the bios and choose 'Launch EFI Shell'.
    3. In the case the USB drive is not detected, you will be returned to the bios once again, then repeat step 2 (turning off the device completely sometimes helps the detection of a USB drive). If this continuously fails then repeat the steps of creating the bootable USB stick, something might have gone wrong.
    4. The system has booted into the EFI shell! good news, we can now continue to flashing the BIOS and EC firmware!
    5. Make sure the laptop is plugged into the mains, because a power outage or unexpected shutdown might cause the system to brick!
    6. Perform the command; (without the quotes) "fs#:" where # can be any single digit number. Start with "fs1:", then once the filesystem has been selected perform the command: "ls" or "dir" (I cannot remember wether it was unix or dos based). This should show the two directories you've created on the usb stick including the shellx64.efi file. If it does not; use ctrl+c or the command: "exit" to try another filesystem (e.g. "fs2:" etc..).
    7. Great, now you've selected the correct file system and you're able to see the two directories you've created! now lets continue flashing the BIOS/EC.
    8. Browse to the folder of the EC firmware first by performing the command: "cd EC". perform another "ls" or "dir" afterwards to check if all the files are there.
    9. Perform the command: "EcFlash.NSH", the system will now start flashing the EC firmware (sometimes this will require you to confirm the flash by pressing 'enter' or 'y').
    10. After the flash has been performed the system will be required to reboot, it should do this automatically.
    11. Once the system reboots perform steps 1 through 7 once again.
    12. When in the EFI shell again, instead of changing directory to EC, change to the BIOS's directory: "cd BIOS".
    13. Here you should perform the command: "flash.nsh".
    14. This flash might take a couple of minutes, once it is finished it might require user input to acknowledge the system has been flashed or require a shutdown override by holding the power button for 10 seconds. However do -not- perform the latter unless you are certain the flashing of the bios has been ended! It should however shutdown once finished.
    15. Now you're system has been flashed with the new EC and BIOS firmware, the next boot might require a minute or two to boot. So don't pull out your hair and think the system has failed immediately.
    16. Enjoy your up to date pc!

I have found these steps a lot more 'stable' than the older flashing methods used by Clevo. These are quite straight forward and don't require you to download third party software to perform the flash like unetbootin or rufus (even though I really like those). These steps were also the ones recommended by my reseller (albeit in a different language.. haha!), though sadly not one that has the privilege of the premamod BIOS's.

small disclaimer: I am not responsible for someone 'bricking' their device, I'm just trying to help out.

@matyee, i was already at step 8 once you replied, so I thought I'd just finish the instruction. Maybe OP (@Blacky) can link this post to inform new users. Or maybe provide me an oppertunity to obtain the premamod BIOS :D.

Blacky and FTW_260 like this.
  3. FTW_260

FTW_260 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. matyee

matyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    THX a lot! I realized the problem, I have forgotten to put EFI file on the usb... I will try out this method soon...

5. FTW_260

FTW_260 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @un1tyNL, hmm, it doesnt want boot from formatted usb stick with shellx64.efi on it. Just boot into windows. Can you share a screenshot with files in root forlder on proper USB stick?

6. un1tyNL

un1tyNL Newbie

Reputations:
    It does not 'boot' in the traditional sense of booting. You have to select the option launch EFI shell. You might have to enable full initialisation of USB devices in the second tab. Otherwise some USB devices are not available in bios. Switching to a different USB port sometimes helps too

7. andarru

andarru Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi does anyone know where I can find the premamod bios download for Clevo Sager NP9377 SM - A ? I can't seem to find it anywhere for the life of me. Thank you.

8. weav

weav Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Wanting to update to the lastest and greatest for my trusty P650SG. Would like to have Prema's but seems a challenge to find. I have P6xxSG_37_39_PM_v2 for BIOS and vBIOS. I haven't flashed from Sager's 1.03.03 but now past warranty and trying to get more life from my laptop. Tried to contact Prema direct but seems a bit beyond my abilities or my understanding as premamod.com gets me no where. Prema.. if you see this.. willing to donate. Trying to get to 1.05.01 for bios and vbios with your mods. Please get with me if you can.

Thanks

9. joluke

joluke Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ask @Prema here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/prema-bios-questions.795536/

weav likes this.
  10. weav

weav Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @joluke

Thanks so much.. have been out of the loop for quite a while. Appreciate the help. Posted to the forum link you posted. All my best!

joluke likes this.