Clevo BIOS Thread

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Blacky, Sep 11, 2009.

1. edryr

edryr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    TY for explanation.
    Now i know i'll never buy a clevo ever again. I always paid PREMA for vbios i asked to him in private. Now i can't even get a bios because of dishonest ppl. I understand prema fully why he does this.
    Welcome back MSI.

Vasudev, ImHere and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's very sad that dishonest people ruin things for the rest of us.

This is also why we have to put up with stupid things like DRM filth and software activation limits that deprive us of full use of the things we pay our hard earned money for.

I doubt we will ever run out of selfish crooks. Sadly, they're embedded in the woodwork and don't think twice about the harm they cause. They don't care about anyone but themselves.

3. Legion343

Legion343 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Now we have a complete information why he shutdown his blog but then we were simply blind (only rumors which unfortunately were correct) I think that Prema should improve little his communication...

You know shutdown blog and then in 30 min here on NBR post about this (like one he did later).
    On blog he had information about Partners so we knew who has his support and there is nothing... From memory i remember only few ones.

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think his communications are just fine. It's the expectation of full disclosure on someone else's terms and timeline that is actually the problem. He is an honorable gentleman that is careful about what he says and who it makes look bad. The wrongful things that have happened are very distressing and I suspect that making a public statement to keep inquiring minds in the know was the last thing on his mind at the time. I know that wouldn't be on my radar as a victim of robbery and betray.

5. edryr

edryr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Only problem in all this story is that when i bought my clevo, at the time, my reseller wasn't providing yet modded bios. I bought it thinking i could pay prema for it as i always did.
    And now that my resellet provides it, i can't get my hands on it because they don't send let you flash it yourself.
    I feel i got screwed so much as i bought a clevo only for this.
    Once again i absolutely don't blame prema of course. But still mad.

The convenience of a modded bios was for me better than all the flows of clevos computer. Well like i said, never ever clevo again.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    ImHere likes this.
  6. Da_G

Da_G Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Since Prema's BIOSen aren't available to the public anymore, I thought I might "put it out there" that I know of at least 2 solid methods to dump the BIOS from your machine, modify it nearly the same as Prema does, and re-flash it.. in the process unlocking the flash descriptors so that you can flash easily with FPT.

To sum it up, dump BIOS with Intel Flash Programming tool (or start from "virgin" clevo bios/your manufacturers stock bios), load up in Intel Flash Image Tool, modify flash descriptors to enable write access to all sections of BIOS, feed this modified BIOS into AMIBCP 5.x, set your options as needed in "Optmized Defaults", save BIOS, run MEReset, reboot with flash descriptors unlocked, flash bios. (Including descriptor section), After that first flash descriptors are unlocked and you don't need to run MEReset again unless you are modifying the ME firmware... you can dump bios, modify with amibcp, flash bios, reboot and apply optimized defaults to change any setting desired.

This way lets you modify any of the hidden options, although you have to do it from your OS, rather than from the BIOS menu. Then you "Load Optimized Defaults", reboot and it's all set up.

Providing you have taken the proper steps to create a recovery usb or have an SPI programmer handy to backup/restore your BIOS in case anything goes wrong, I have been using this method for about a year now with no issues as a result.

I had started some months ago on a program to automate the process, and sent Prema a message about it, but from the sound of his reply the program would be stepping on some toes, so I stopped development. So far the only issue I've had is the inability to apply CPU Microcode updates, for some reason it doesn't boot up, maybe I applied Microcode incorrectly or missed a step (or maybe the version of Aptio tools I have is too old to properly inject CPU Microcode for Skylake/KabyLake, does anyone have a newer version? :))

Anyway, this method works great, there are all kinds of goodies there in EFI to tweak. I can certainly help more if anyone needs it, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes, maybe we should set up a private discussion group where we can share the infos without just "putting it all out there" so to speak.

And please, don't lump me in with others who may have reversed Prema's work to modify BIOS, I learned way back when EFI started being available on consumer platforms, having previously modified "old-school" AMI BIOS before EFI came along... Check the really old link in my signature for Modifying M18x BIOS, 6 years ago using a very dangerous direct hex edit of the BIOS image which worked great but.. :O

I used to modify bootloaders and firmware since way back in the Windows Mobile days, prior to Windows Phone (hah!), then later Android etc... I have released lots of work on XDA-Developers, I am a "good guy" :)

ImHere, Hackintoshihope and edryr like this.
  7. steberg

steberg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds like a walk in the park...:)

8. ImHere

ImHere Notebook Geek

Reputations:

I get what your saying and though you make sense about not expecting finished polished off bios updates from manufactures, however im upset about it and it kinda sounds to me you have surrendered your frustrations with the explanation that they are all like that. I am on here talking what horse **** it is and yes its a good laptop but its bs and ill never buy from someone who cant even make a simple update...and no i dont accept that answer they all do that.

as for Prema I think we all know the back story but also i think its bs he wont contact or reply to anyone except buds on here...im sorry i think he has taken being hurt just a tad bit to far though understandable i find it a bit overly sensitive and frankly offensive that you have to take up for him.

9. ImHere

ImHere Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Not everyone who is working on things like this is ripping off of Prema and to think that would be ignorant...good man keep up the good work and please actually share with the community!

10. ImHere

ImHere Notebook Geek

Reputations:

You where screwed, I bought from a seller who sold there own version of clevo but kept asking when in the world is Prema going to be done and have the bios out for the model i bought and they never could give a straight answer and told me Prema would only say soon....well the laptop had issues unrelated to my issue with the bios and i swaped it for something from Sager and now even though there is a bios from prema i cant get it...