Clevo BIOS (older models)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Blacky, Feb 19, 2011.

1. dablakmark8

dablakmark8 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi good day,I cant find the new thread tab so i am going to reply here.I hope this is the right place.
    I have a
    W555SUW clevo notebook.I bought it second hand.Now i installed windows 8.1 on it as it originally comes with this.I tried installing 10 and here is where the nightmare comes from,I cant get into the bios as it requires a password.
    I cant even boot from usb cause it also requires bios entry,and i have unsigned drivers which i use which also requires bios entry cause uefi wont let me advance startup settings and select driver enforcment..etc..etc.

I called the reseller and they said the chip needs t be replaced or mother board just to enter bios.I told them this is not acceptable.Now i know a password gets generated via your notebook serial,Is there nothing i can do but stay on windows 8.1,and leave the bios alone.

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    if the bios has a password then someone placed the password there. as far as i know, no machine comes with a predefined password by default.

3. Kostasgreece

Kostasgreece Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    to remove the password put out the battery and the cmos battery. then put them again and start your system.

4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    put them out, hold power button for 30s and then put them back in. Right ?

5. Kostasgreece

Kostasgreece Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes correct. do it and send me the result!!!

6. dablakmark8

dablakmark8 Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks guys but i already done that,The password is stored on a chip.If you check the model you will know this notebook bios setup password is stored this way.If i could but short out the component i might have a chance of clearing it.Thats a big chance,Ifi had a good piture of the pins on the board and short it out i might reset it.i called the reseller customer care and the guy said this motherboard is designed this way,taking the battery out wont do it..sorry.

When i bought this notebook,i never worried about the bios, but i only came across this problem when i wanted to change the booting order,then all hell came down on me.So to speak.I dont know what i am gonna do,I need to enter bios setup to change stuff. i cant even flash the bios cause it requires boot order..lol

7. dablakmark8

dablakmark8 Newbie

Reputations:
    In older computers, the CMOS battery was responsible for this, but in newer computers, the BIOS and settings are stored in nonvolatile storage like flash memory or EEPROM. This type of storage doesn’t require power and therefore doesn’t have any limitations like the CMOS battery. Mostly the CMOS is used for maintaining the real-time clock for the computer.

This is what i am gonna be up against
    EEPROM on laptops
    On laptops, the password is usually stored in an eeprom on the motherboard and not in the cmos. You need an eeprom programmer/eeprom reader (electronic device) to retrieve the password. If you erase the cmos (ie. cmospwd /k) and if the password is really stored in an eeprom, you won't be able to boot anymore.

You can get/buy eeprom programmer in electronic shops or labs, you need another PC to use it. You can desolder the eeprom with hot air or you can try to "clip" the eeprom. With the eeprom programmer, backup your eeprom and run cmospwd /d /l eeprom_backup. If you don't see the password, you can try to fill the eeprom with zero or FF, don't forget the reset the cmos.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Blacky likes this.
  8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think there are computer shops that could do this for you. I had one do this for a video card I messed up. It cost about 20 euro the entire thing and took 15 minutes.

9. dablakmark8

dablakmark8 Newbie

Reputations:
    so there is no shorting out of pin 5 and 6 on the chip,as i can do this.its not a problem.I just dont know the chips name on the board or where it is for this model of laptop

10. Mathomas83

Mathomas83 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have a question, i have seen some articles about flashing a Sager bios (for unlocked option, ie overclocking/other stuff) onto a clevo x7200, im wondering has anyone done this and if so could anyone point me in the right direction, i understand there a risks, but im hoping someone can sorta walk me through it