Clevo BIOS (older models)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Blacky, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Oh @nimakos21... what have you done! I specifically wrote in the initial post of this thread to update EC first and than the BIOS. t456 is doing his best to fix your machine, but if he doesn't manage ... you need to go to a repair shop and tell them you had a bad bios flash.

Don't worry, I once bricked my GPU with a bad vBIOS flash. It takes them 10 minutes to fix your BIOS, it generally takes longer to take the laptop apart to get to the BIOS chip, than the fix itself.

2. nimakos21

nimakos21 Newbie

Reputations:

I screwed up my friend. It's ok you guys helped me a lot. I will look for this, if there is a repair shop which can fix that

3. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Good thing it didn't continue; you'd have a second bricked system :vboops: . With 'test on another system' that meant auto-boot testing, not auto-flash-testing :vbeek: ! The default .bat is harmless ... :

[​IMG]

... but the AE_M765S_BIOS_20.BAT is not. It also has a 'md AUTOB20', that's why you had that folder; that is to check whether boot was successful, at least.

Back to the issue:
    Did you remove hdds from the bricked Clevo? If not, then do so. If you did remove them; while booting keep hitting F7 for a while. Then hit enter and see what happens. If nothing; reboot, hitting F7 again, only this time use arrow-key-down once and hit enter. Remember that flashing bios takes a while; wait a while before rebooting.
    Like Blacky mentioned, a hardware fix is always possible and certain to revive the laptop. Only thing is that you have to remove the palm rest to get to the bios chip (left of the touchpad):

[​IMG]

It's a Winbond W25X80V, marked "U21" in white letters on the motherboard itself. Remove palmrest, take it to someone with soldering iron (or a shop) and say 'desolder this chip'. If they can't flash it (or ask too much); send me a pm and you'll get my address to mail the chip to. Will flash proper bios (v20 for now) and send it back. Have the person/shop resolder it and the laptop will be running again.

Then flash to v22 (you have a proper usb stick now):
    Now, how did you flash the bios? From a bootable DOS stick or from within Windows?

4. nimakos21

nimakos21 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes thanks god it didnt continue!!!!!!!!
    I have no hard disk connected in Clevo
    It seems that keyboard is not responding at all.
    I flashed the bios from a bootable usb stick formated with rufus from DOS. At the end it was asking me to push any key to restart and if any key was doing nothing to shut down the pc and i pushed the power button because it was nothing working

Thanks for the info i will try to remove chip in a shop and i will send you PM

t456 likes this.
  5. nimakos21

nimakos21 Newbie

Reputations:

First of all i want to thank you all guys for your help and especially @t456
    I went, as you told me, here in Greece in a shop, they removed the old bios chip and they programmed a new one with the system bios you game me (v20)
    The pc running again with newer bios and with a cost of 20€
    I think i will not upgrate again with the newest bios i dont think i needed

Thanks again!!!!!!!

i_pk_pjers_i, Blacky and t456 like this.
  6. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Np, glad you went ahead and got it working :vbthumbsup: . Think it's rather sad when people give up after a 'minor' thing like that. Nice shop, too; that's a modest fee (just a pre-programmed chip would cost as much). Send some business their way, highly recommended :vbsmile: .

i_pk_pjers_i and nimakos21 like this.
  7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Glad you managed to get it fixed.
    You can upgrade to .22 if you want, but you need to flash the EC first, than the BIOS.

i_pk_pjers_i and nimakos21 like this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    A good local shop is great for this sort of thing :)

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  9. lolegolas

lolegolas Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

my notebook is an ahtec clevo m7xsun and I believe this is the right thread to post.

I cannot email my reseller, because the store is no longer there. I bought my clevo m7xsun in 2009. BIOS is 1.00.04 from 2006 and I have no idea if clevo still supports this model, or if I can update the BIOS.

I have visited https://www.wimsbios.com/biosupdates/clevo.jsp?PageSpeed=noscript and I don't understand if M7xx means that a bios which works for m74xsu would work for me. On that list I found Clevo M7xxSU (M741SU , would that work for me?

10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations: