Clevo Bios older models (released in/after 2012)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Blacky, Dec 18, 2013.

1. SirDecius

SirDecius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi there

i have a p170em and downloaded the latest sager ec and bios. i upgraded the ec first and it did not ask to reboot. when i went to bios ec updated from 1.00.08 to 1.00.10 rather than 1.02 as expected. someone else mentioned something similar in this thread. should i continue with bios update?

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm inclined to say no. I am also surprised that this happened.
    My suggestion is to try to update to the stock Clevo BIOS and EC and forget about the SAGER one.

3. SirDecius

Reputations:
    Thank you for the response - prior to doing this, I just had another question.

The reason I am doing this is my video card died (675M) and I have a 765M installed. The computer detects it and everything, but for some reason in windows it keeps giving me an error code 43. I believe the 765M is from an alienware. It is my understanding that upgrading the bios to a prema bios may assist in fixing this? Is that true?

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    No, the prema bios does not generally fix that sort of error, it's generally more vbios related.

5. SirDecius

Reputations:
    Can you advise me on what I can do to rectify the situation? I have looked into vbios flashing but don't quite understand it.

Basically I have a 9170 that has constantly had video card issues due to the 675M. I had to send it back into Sager many years ago, and the same issue re-arose. So now I was constantly getting the fan spinning along with the endless beeping and reboots, so I swapped the card out.

Now there are no more reboots or issues like that, but the 765M is constantly having the Code 43 error. Interestingly, when I install the drivers with the customized INF file, the screen does flash indicating that the video card is being recognized/initialized, and the drivers install successfully, but then a code 43 shows up in device manager.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It does look like your system recognises the card, but it needs a different vBIOS. If you plan on flashing a different vBIOS on getting the card to work, make sure you have some other video card around to replace it. vBIOS flashing may brick the video card and require that you get it to a repair shop for a re-programming with the original vBIOS. Therefore, first and foremost, backup your current vBIOS.

You can use techpowerup vBIOS library: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/146097/clevo-gtx765m-2048-130227 to try an Alineware vBIOS.

This might be helpful: https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/successful-mxm-gpu-upgraded-laptops.418038/
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-mxm-card-in-clevo-notebook.719299/

My quick reading indicates that you should try to flash a Clevo vBIOS on your video card and if that doesn't make your card work with your Clevo, then you need a different video card.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

7. SirDecius

Reputations:
    Thanks for that - my card hardware ID is:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11E1&SUBSYS_71021558

Any idea what vBIOS I should try to flash with? I had tried before to do this but it kept coming back saying the bios was a miss match with the card, or something along those lines.

8. SirDecius

Reputations:
    I've attached the backup ROM file I have.

Attached Files:

• rom.zip
      File size:
      129.8 KB
      Views:
  9. SirDecius

Reputations:
  10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The subsystem never changes. The subsystem is a unique identifier specific to your laptop model. So no matter what video card you put in your laptop, it will always have the same subsystem ID. This is the reason why you need modded drivers, because Nvidia drivers have a list of approved device IDs with subsystem IDs.