Clevo Bios older models (released in/after 2012)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Blacky, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Joachim76

Joachim76 Newbie

Reputations:
    EC12 and B14.

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So you are at this stage:
    EC/KBC V 1.02.12 & BIOS V 1.02.14

And you updated from , what was the previous version before this one?

You either didn't update properly, and you updated the BIOS without the EC or you have a bad EC/BIOS flash.

In either case , I think you should contact Prema, maybe he can help you recover the BIOS. Otherwise you need to take the good BIOS and EC files on a USB stick, head to the nearest laptop repair shop that can program BIOS chips and have them repair the laptop.

3. oliacym

oliacym Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, hopefully someone can help me... I had previously installed a Prema BIOS mod on my W170ER, and attempted to flash the latest non-prema, stock bios, 1.02.17 (previously 1.02.16). I obviously did something stupid because then the laptop won't POST. I flashed the newest firmware (1.02.09), which seemed to go fine, then did the same for the newest BIOS. There was a very brief error message about NVRAM, then it turned off and now won't boot. The lights come on, the fans are going, but nothing else, not even a backlit screen. The USB ports have power at least because a plugged-in stick will light up.

Now, I've tried to follow instructions from what I've been reading online, and I've taken the file W150ER.bin from the stock clevo zip, renamed it W11ER.rom as per some other Prema instructions I found, copied it to the root of a FAT32 USB stick, plugged it into the USB 2.0 port of the laptop, held down Fn+B, and powered on. I read that the HDD is supposed to flash rapidly if the shortcut works, and it does flash, but not if I have this particular file on the USB. In any case, I read it's supposed to power off, then restart and then I should see a menu. But nothing happens.

I actually took it to a repair shop, and he says he flashed the official Clevo BIOS, yet still no success. I guess it's possible that he had the wrong version? In any case, I'd like to try the softer methods before I resort to sending away for replacement BIOS chips, soldering etc.

Does anyone smarter than me know what I could be doing wrong? Much appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Could be anything really. Ask the repairshop to flash BIOS adn EC on it.

5. oliacym

Reputations:
    Might end up taking it back, yeah. But is my technique what I'm supposed to be doing? On a normal setup, that should have worked?

6. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    If you don't trust the repairshop you can actualy do it yourself. There are cheap programmer kits that are rather cheap and would allow you to reflash yourself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KIT-Progra...174453?hash=item284d930c75:g:2PAAAOSwhpZaA0Y2

here is the entire kit, once you got it I can guide you through it, all you need is a notebook with USB.

ALso before you buy, can you make a photo of the BIOS chip? Just to be sure it's compatible with the clip.

7. oliacym

Reputations:
    .... Interesting. Might get one. Do these work on soldered chips? Like they clip into the chip without having to remove it?

Thanks so much for this, yeah I'll see if I can find the chip on the board. Do you know where I should be looking by the way? I checked the service manual but couldn't identify the bios chip (it is just the one I take it, I know some have two).

8. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    The BIOS chip typically has a little dot on it, it's market so it's easy to find.

9. oliacym

Reputations:
    Right then! :) Will locate the beast later on and report back. Thanks again!

10. oliacym

Reputations:
    Could it be this one, the big one? It's the only one with a white dot that I can see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aug68nadx0csfnq/2018-03-28 23.58.32.jpg?dl=0

EDIT: My mistake, I think that might be an audio chip. Apologies but I'm really having trouble finding this thing. Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018