Clevo Bios older models (released in/after 2012)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Blacky, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ok, given you have a rather old EC/KBC I think you first need to update that, then the BIOS.

Update first to EC/KBC V 1.02.11 and than the BIOS, otherwise you will brick your laptop. As it writes in the first page, for EC/KBC see below :).

2. buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Sager NP9150. Today I noticed that I cannot access BIOS without the SSD installed. If I remove the SSD the initial "American Megatrends" splash screen comes up, but I cannot enter BIOS via F2 or F7. Then I get a DOS screen saying that the media failed or something like that.
    It seems to me like I should still be able to get into BIOS even with the SSD removed. I am concerned that if for some reason my SSD fails I will be stuck without a way to boot my computer. Do I somehow need to repair or reinstall the BIOS? Why does BIOS only become available when the SSD is attached?

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I all honestly I have no idea why it's doing that. I suppose you could try for a bios update. But let's assume the SSD fails, how exactly are you going to use your laptop without a drive?

4. buckeyestargazer

Reputations:
    That's exactly my point. If somehow the BIOS relies on the SSD for something and I need to replace that particular SSD then I may not be able to boot the computer at all. I am in conversation with Sager about this now. Hopefully they will be able to get me sorted out.

5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am fairly certain it has nothing to do with your SSD. The BIOS is just complaining you don't have a HDD/SSD drive . If you would pop in any other drive it will very likely work without a problem.

6. buckeyestargazer

Reputations:
    I turns out the problem was a Windows 10 setting "fast boot" or something like that. What it does is, instead of truly shutting down the computer, it puts it in a hibernation mode. So when the computer would boot back up without the SSD it would try to resume from hibernation and thus would not let me get into BIOS. After I turned off that fast boot setting in win10 I could remove the drive and get into BIOS. So mystery solved.

Blacky likes this.
  7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wow ! Thank you. I learned something new today.

8. Darondny

Darondny Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone .. my first post here :)

Maybe somebody had my problem..

..when the speed of CPU fan is going too high my laptop [P170EM-Novatech] is shutting down . That's since I've opened it up , or maybe from HWiNFO - it started to crash.. .

If I put a GPU fan is no problem but the cooling is not enough ... I have also a new CPU fan.. the same.. shutdown when the speed goes too high.

What could be? Maybe EC? I've put one from clevo.com.tw and still.. does some settings [as SmartAutofan,etc..] remain after firmware update?
    Thanks.. :D

9. Zix

Zix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, what are your current Bios/EC versions?
    Did you check the cpu temperature? maybe the shutdown is caused by thermal protection.

10. Darondny

Darondny Newbie

Reputations:
    I've moved from 1.00.04 [Bios/Ec] all the way up to 1.00.10 hoping is going to fix it.. or to see some menu to control the fans .

No problem with the temperature.. for this behaviour .

maybe a video helps? :D

Cheers

P.S. How can I get a Prema mod ?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017