Clevo and VR.. Has anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 0Style, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Bunions

Bunions Newbie

Reputations:
    I guess my question is are there enough games that support VR yet for this to be worth it?

Not to be a negative Nelly of course and I know "enough" is relative but it's not time yet for the average gamer to be considering VR is it?

I guess that's a bit of a misnomer tho because the folks on this board aren't the probable "average consumer".

2. 0Style

0Style Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As a fresh VR user I cannot say too much but I can share my opinion.

It's true there are not too many worthy games for the platform yet although case has to be made there are some truly outstanding experiences available already and seems like more are coming soon and that the market is growing overall.

Also at least for me every game has much more replayability as it's a completely new experience and at least for now provides extreme excitement. I have played games casualy my entire life but it's been years since anything gave me such a thrill.

But it's all subjective honestly and your mileage can vary, and you can be prone to motion sickness which is a possibility.

Additionaly the platform is a dream come true for sims like Elite: Dangerous, driving sims or flight sims although the experience is quite intense and took like a day or two for me to get used to it and now I don't feel any motion sickness anymore.

If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I think given some time it will make more sense, the price is going in the right direction so far :)

4. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Motion sickness has a number of factors - it can depend on the users susceptibility to motion sickness in general (if you get easilly sea sick or can't deal with roolercoasters then you'll be more prone to feeling a bit iffy in some VR content), coding of the game, how physical the game is and how much your body is expecting to have a physical response to what your eyes see, the performance of the content itself ehich ties in, in part, with the refresh rate and thus the performance of the hardware you're running the content on etc etc.

I have been very heavily involved in VR for just over a year now and I've only experienced dizzyness twice - first time was actually after taking a 5K headset off (not when I was in VR) which was running a car configurator, but this was partly because I was puching the motion and control surfaces in the VR content pretty hard to see and also because it was running at 75Hz not 90Hz. Second time was actually in a publically available car driving game/simulator and using a force response driving seat. That was probably my fault as well, as I was purposefully drifting a an Evo round Brands Hatch and had a bit of a bump with the barriers which induced a spin.

It's pretty much still early days with VR content, as you say there are some outstanding experiences available and definitely lots more comming soon. Especially with more AAA game titles on the way, ableit later than we all hoped for.

Auslander808 likes this.
  5. Auslander808

Auslander808 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On sheer volume of games, maybe not. Although that's coming along quite quickly. I'm only playing a couple of games at the moment, flight/racing sims and Elite Dangerous. For those, I can definitely say that the increased immersion is impressive despite the res loss. I have yet to try a movie on something like the BigScreen app. But I have a 51" plasma (read: big enough!) and an extremely good stereo for surround, so I'll probably just stick with that. But if I didn't have a decent home theater setup I could see it being a good experience quite similar to sitting in a mega screen theater. At $400, plus a decent resale value if I decided it wasn't for me, I thought it worth the risk. Average consumer, maybe not yet. But I consider myself an average gamer or less and I'm not questioning the purchase.

6. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    One of the problems that Vr is going through at the moment, in it's infancy, is finding it's place in the gaming market. It's completely fair to make comments about the immersion increase vs resolution loss when comparing VR to PC gaming. But the immersion is so much more powerful than the resolution loss in terms of the overall experience that I don't feel this is always a fair comparison. There are a large number of very simple games, with in general much less complex graphics (NOTE I don't mean lower quality, but less complex) vs AAA PC game titles. The complete 360 degree, physical interatcion that you have in VR is what's pushing the medium.

VR Cinema works in content where it's been very well filmed in 360, I've had some good experiences with this but in the same way that 3D dictated the way that films were made for a while in order to gain maximum effect when watched in 3D, Vr is going along the same lines. I have a 110" projector at home so like you BigScreen doesn't really offer much to us at the moment if you already have "adeqtate" technology at home already. But try games created specifically for VR, RawData, Superhot, Arizona Sunshine, even old favourites like Space Pirate Trainer is seriously addictive and pretty physical :)

Auslander808 likes this.
  7. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i want to get a vive but it's too expensive, rift is reasonable for a sit down experience. the only vr game that looks good is star trek bridge crew.

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Luckily (if you want to call it that) I got an ear infection when I was young so my balance is a lot more based on vision so my sea sickness and motion sickness do not carry over to VR.

Probably means I am more likely to fall over wearing the thing if it gets different to real life at all.

9. Prema

Prema Little BIOS Mod

Reputations:
    Here you go:

200$ OFF codes:

r4qzyjmmn
    vnuua6y4g

Use here asap:

https://www.vive.com/us/

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 7:13 PM
  10. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet