Clevo and VR.. Has anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 0Style, Jun 14, 2017.

1. 0Style

0Style Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you for the reply! That really makes the situation a lot clearer!

I just can't possibly understand why Oculus customer support would be so rigid and keep insisting that the Rift is guaranteed to work only with 'official products'... it's like they don't wanna sell the thing in the first place and it makes me uneasy about the warranty.. Like something can go wrong and they'll just say 'well it's not an "official" laptop'.

Makes me go bleh

But thanks for the great answers everyone! Best forum ever!

2. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's about partnerships and marketing - we know lots of people at Oculus and we use Rifts with our products all the time but they have to pick a small number of companies to officially list and so it leaves out a large number of products and companies which do support the VR hardware.

You can of course run this https://ocul.us/compat-tool on a system if you already have one, but that doesn't help too much if you're looking to purchase a system of course. The "official products" are really just their recommendations, it doesn't mean that others won't work and it definitely doesn't mean that other products won't run better.

They wouldn't void a warranty if you used a Rift with a "non officially supported laptop/PC", for a start they wouldn't know what you were using it with but more importantly (it goes without saying) a Rift won't fail if you use it with a non-officially supported laptop/PC.

0Style likes this.
  3. 0Style

Reputations:
    I have the system already it's the 15'' desktop CPU Clevo P751-DM2 which I believe translates to the XMG U507 Ultimate (awesome machine :D). I bought it last year from the Polish reseller Dream Machines with 120hz screen, 1070gtx and a 6700K that I run at standard 4.0Ghz and as I mentioned is marked as 'VR ready'. I've tried the oculus test and everything meets or exceeds recommended requirements but after writing that to Oculus they just said the test is for desktops only and to see the officialy supported machines hence the confusion.

Thank you for the great feedback on the issue. I'm sure it clears many questions for other people in similar situation as well as Oculus really acts weird in the matter.

Cheers!

4. XMG

Reputations:
    Happy to help. It's also a little difficult to get official recommendation status from HTC as well. For example with our XMG Walker VR backpack, we have over 10 different HMDs which we have had validated ourselves to check compatability and so we can share references for business and industry usages - but they are generally smaller companies than HTC or Facebook and so a little easier to work directly with. We have great contacts at Occulus and particularly at HTC, don't get me wrong, but the smaller HMD companies tend to have more bespoke hardware and so getting official support and validation means more to them from a business point of view.

0Style likes this.
  5. 0Style

Reputations:
    Ok I have a really noob question.. What does HMD stand for? I get what you mean in general though.

6. XMG

Reputations:
    HMD is VR technogarb, just stands for Head Mounted Display - in VR circles it's used rather than "headset" to differentiate from headphones and so on.

0Style likes this.
  7. Goz3rr

Goz3rr Newbie

Reputations:
    I own a N850HK1 (7700HQ, 1050 Ti) and a Vive, just thought I'd chime in and say it's working on my laptop but there's a few things to keep in mind:

When running the SteamVR performance test it warns that my hardware might not be compatible.

If I go to the Nvidia Control Panel, under "Configure Surround, PhysX" it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

My laptop has two mDP ports and one HDMI port, but my Vive only works when connected to one specific mDP port. This is because that one is connected directly to the GPU, and not through the integrated graphics to use Optimus. You should be able to verify this if your Nvidia Control Panel look similar to mine and has at least one port shown on the GPU directly

0Style likes this.
  8. XMG

Reputations:
    @Goz3rr - just want to confirm to you and others reading this thread that what you posted is 100% correct. Only the mini-DP port closest to the HDMI has a direct connection to the dGPU, so you need to use this for any VR headsets. It's explained in the user manual on page 62 of the comprehensive version of the manual ( section 1-28 ); though it doesn't specifically reference VR it does explain wether the Intel HD Graphics control panel OR the Nvidia control panel have bearing on each of the three video outputs.

0Style likes this.
  9. 0Style

Reputations:
    That's a very good point to mention thanks for the feedback!

Just to be sure myself because mine looks a bit different... How should I know which one to use when it's shown like this?

GPU PORTS.png

Thanks again!

10. 0Style

Reputations:
    Anyone to clarify? Please?