Clevo 2020

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Dakka3, Aug 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Or just buy the chassis and donate the old one :p

2. whiterose

whiterose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone with the NP50DB can confirm if the heat sinks fan is putting enough pressure on the GPU and CPU? I repasted the Gateway GWTN156-3BK which is a rebranded version and it feels like there isn’t enough pressure. Just screws holding the heat sinks in place.
    Thanks

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    If you post up a picture of what the paste looks like afterwards we can tell you.

Papusan likes this.
  4. whiterose

whiterose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The paste is spread out evenly on both the GPU and CPU. I did the line method on the CPU and an X method on the GPU. A thin line so it should be covering the entire die and IHS on the GPU. Still even though the paste is spread out, I feel that there isn't enough. Only one spring loaded screw sitting on top of the CPU while 7 other screws are used to hold the heatsink in place.

5. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guys, can you give me some info on how to work with Clevo laptops? Currently, I own Acer Triton 500 which suits me perfectly, but in a few years, I think, I'll move to smth more powerful. As I understood Clevo doesn't sell its laptop directly, I have to find some company that buys its chassis, puts its logo, and sells it. Which one is the best? I'm targeting for 11 or 12th Intel generation and RTX 3xxx series. Everything should be replaceable (just because). As a starting point, I found this laptop:

Looks like a perfect machine but one thing bothered to be: the author recommends buying tome third-party modified version (https://ztecpc.com/search-product/x170sm) because the base version of X170 throttles. Wft? How can it be? You are paying the ultimate amount of money for a horrible-looking laptop, and it still can't overcome limitations? Why bothering with some no-name company then instead of buying a generic Dell Alienware M51?

I just wish when a new generation of intel's and nvidia's will come all manufacturers of these bulky beasts will provide laptops with no limitations...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You seem to lack contextual understanding. All Clevo machines comes with "base version" BIOS as that is what ships from Clevo and has been a point of contention for forever now.

You wonder why something like the X170 can throttle? Because it lacks tuning, liquid metal, and a proper BIOS and/or EC to manage it all.

Dell Alienware 51M actually caught fire when they released, so theres that...

Thats why people in these woods tend to recommend prema partner's because the Prema BIOS is actually what allows these systems to shine

7. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, I was too fast in my judgement. When upgrade time will come I’ll dig in threads and search for best one :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You can still adjust on the stock bios to some level so if you target stock performance and undervolt/play with the cooling you can still make gains.

Reciever likes this.