Clevo 2020

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Dakka3, Aug 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I just keep it at 5Ghz, I can apply a 120mv undervolt and keep it stable.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    jc_denton likes this.
  2. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Above 5Ghz you also need to do override voltages to get anything stable/sane.

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Do you find that when you use an override voltage at >5 ghz, you wind up fully stable in Cinebench R20 or Prime95 or AIDA64, but if you load up Battlefield 5, you get a CPU Cache L0 error or a BSOD?

4. jc_denton

Reputations:
    I've had to deal with that on several occasions, I think it's due to IMC being hit with more load than R15/R20 etc.

5. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Oh no it's not.
    It's because AC Loadline is controlling voltages.

Vcore is this:

Vcore=vCPU + (ACLL * dI) - (VRM LL * I) + vOffset.

ACLL=AC Loadline in milliohms (this is usually set to the same value as base VRM Loadline)
    VRM Loadline=Loadline Calibration (LLC) in mOhms (this is locked at 1.6 mOhms on 8 core, 2.1 mOhms at 4 and 6 core). Desktops allow you to reduce this setting (reducing vdroop, via "Loadline calibration".

dI=d1-d0. (I don't know what this is. it has something with amps. This formula came from Elmor).
    I=Current
    vCPU=base VID (@ AC Loadline=0.01 mOhms, DC Loadline=0.01 mOhms). This value will also change depending on temps. At highest turbo, it is -1.5mv/-1C starting at 100C.

AC Loadline is very good at setting voltages during balanced synthetic loads, AVX or Non-AVX (Cinebench R20, Prime95, AIDA64 Stress FPU, etc).
    However during mixed loads (Battlefield 5, especially on loading screen, Realbench 2.56, etc), ACLL does not seem to be getting the current load properly, then load voltage either becomes too large (too low vcore=crash) or too high. It seems ACLL cannot react to violent changes in current quickly (to raise or lower operating voltages).

The only way to fix this behavior is to flatten ACLL by setting it to 0.01 mOhms. On desktop boards, you can then increase the LLC to reduce vdroop (Lower mOhms on LLC=less vdroop). On laptops, you will need to increase override voltage or increase vOffset if you reduce ACLL. This is the only way to fix the voltage swings. But this would require a very high idle voltage (up to 1.52v if ACLL is 0.01 mOhms).

alaskajoel and jc_denton like this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I managed to bench on adaptive up to around 5.2. It did need the secondary power limits tweaking a lot though.

jc_denton likes this.
  7. jc_denton

Reputations:
    I just raised the voltage by 5mV with the static override, until this was no longer the case. Since with an offset it kept happening.

5.2 with an undervolt, man what were the temps? :D

8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Override voltage changes the VID (vCPU). Gotta remember this.
    I am not sure at what point on the circuit offset is calculated, but I don't think it's added to vCPU but added after AC Loadline does its work, after loadline calibration drops the voltage down.

alaskajoel likes this.
  9. jc_denton

Reputations:
    One of the reasons we go by temp and not VID, as you saw back when I tested 1.6 mOhm VR LL vs hw stock 2.1 mOhm.
    Going to 5.1Ghz is still within the thermal budget, even 5.2Ghz with cold air. However, for daily and longevity 5Ghz is hard to beat. R0 does run hotter though, but direct die VC mod should offset this.
    [​IMG]

Falkentyne likes this.
  10. matyee

matyee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guys,
    These new clevos with 10900k and 2080 super, how do they correlate with a 9900k and 2080? Is there any early tests? I am sitting with my beloved 870km1, I am pretty much interested in it is the time for upgrade or not :)